Official Mark Cerny "The Road to PS5" deep-dive video thread

58 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Ready At Dawn Founder

People will appreciate it, there's nothing fundamentally wrong with it (except maybe related to the clock speeds), it's just a lesser console. 

The Series X just has more going on, it's a more impressive piece of hardware, that's not to take away from the SSD for the PS5 which is incredible but it's putting lipstick on a pig so to speak. 

Edited by DynamiteCop!
  • Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, I figure those would boost interaction 

20TF+ and 7GB/s SSDs  

Just now, DynamiteCop! said:

Really?

Yep, not gonna bother until the mid gen refresh. I hate launch consoles. Always ugly. The slim models always look better and have the lower price. 

Just now, Ike said:

Yep, not gonna bother until the mid gen refresh. I hate launch consoles. Always ugly. The slim models always look better and have the lower price. 

There's no real guarantee those will ever happen again, that's a pretty big bet and a lot of wasted time. 

Just now, DynamiteCop! said:

There's no real guarantee those will ever happen again, that's a pretty big bet and a lot of wasted time. 

If those 20 TFlop GPUs are coming, I’d rather just get a pc anyways for next gen. 

7 hours ago, Remij_ said:

Apparently the PS5 yields are currently pretty terrible.  The high frequencies are causing problems. 

That's according to the Chiphell forum...

Makes sense. Binning chips to be stable at 2.23GHz... pretty insane. I bet this did wonders for AMD R&D; they seem pretty confident in their "multi ghz" claim.

7 hours ago, jehurey said:

Oh yeah, I'm not surprised by that. Its a common part of semiconductor manufacturing.

I mean, i can only imagine that the yields are already not very good because we're just not getting into 7nm, but to then find the most stable silicon at such high frequencies.

Not only that, AMD processors were never kind to overclocking.

Actually, 7nm in general has excellent yields. 7nm for an APU with a GPU that has to clock at 2.23GHz? Yeah, that's probably nightmare-ish.

On 2020-03-19 at 8:49 AM, Remij_ said:

They literally don't say or mention "boost mode" anywhere.  PS5 native in their little chart... means PS5 fucking games......  Notice how it did not say "PS5 - boost" :lemming: 

You're wrong dude... and you better be ready to take the L.. because after how you're treating me, I'm going to make a point of it :reg: 

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2020/03/18/unveiling-new-details-of-playstation-5-hardware-technical-specs/

I'll go ahead and take that apology now. :tom5:

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

You were right.

But their wording gave doubt...  which was essentially my point.

They still don't say AT LAUNCH. :shake: 

Close enough. :shrug: I just assume at this point it'll be like Pro and some games will be unstable or crash. 

4 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

Close enough. :shrug: I just assume at this point it'll be like Pro and some games will be unstable or crash. 

Yea probably.  Good to hear anyway.  They can't be fucking up with their messaging this close to launch.

3 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Yea probably.  Good to hear anyway.  They can't be fucking up with their messaging this close to launch.

Damage is done, lol. Hopefully they have a proper reveal akin to PS4 to put people at ease. 

Just now, Team 2019 said:

I assume their initial target was 9.2 tflops, but then they decide to throw a few extra bucks at the cooling and push it to 10.3 tflops.

Even their SSD size of 850 gigs imo shows they're trying as hard as possible to hit that magical 399 price tag.

lol... they're trying as hard as possible... to wait and see what MS announces as a price..

10 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

After X/Scorpio launching at 500, if Lockhart really exists. There is no way Series X will go below 500

I'm not saying it will.

I think with Sony's exotic SSD and sky high GPU frequencies.. it's entirely possible that the costs could actually be higher depending on yields.  You trying to say that their SSD being 850GB means they're trying hard doesn't seem right to me.  It seems to me like they're literally trying to keep costs in line with what they think their competitor will release at.

1 hour ago, lynux3 said:

Damage is done, lol. Hopefully they have a proper reveal akin to PS4 to put people at ease. 

Are they using software emulation? Obviously they would have to be, there's no way they would pull the PS3 with the built in PS2 EE for BC again...