Official Mark Cerny "The Road to PS5" deep-dive video thread

18 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

After X/Scorpio launching at 500, if Lockhart really exists. There is no way Series X will go below 500

Is lockhart the rumored discless machine? There's no way anyone buys that. People still love having their disc based games. 

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, I figure those would boost interaction 

20TF+ and 7GB/s SSDs  

1 minute ago, Team 2019 said:

We had a leak of MS's internal documents. They expect a 3:1 sales ratio in favour of Lockhart apparently because frankly price is king.

What are their ratios based on? Sure price is king, price always matters. Case in point; the PS3 launch. However, were consumers made aware that it would not include a disc drive for their games? Not everyone wants to download a 50GB game, especially with the way ISPs are starting to do with data caps. I think Cox has me capped at 3-4TB a month before they start shitting a brick. We'll know soon enough.    

2 minutes ago, Sublyminal said:

What are their ratios based on? Sure price is king, price always matters. Case in point; the PS3 launch. However, were consumers made aware that it would not include a disc drive for their games? Not everyone wants to download a 50GB game, especially with the way ISPs are starting to do with data caps. I think Cox has me capped at 3-4TB a month before they start shitting a brick. We'll know soon enough.    

Well it's just a prediction. But if it's say 500 Vs 300, you can see how it can sell so well. Still hope it gets canned .

6 hours ago, Sublyminal said:

Are they using software emulation? Obviously they would have to be, there's no way they would pull the PS3 with the built in PS2 EE for BC again...

It's a bit of both.

17 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

I read the SSD is so fast the PS5 can have half a gigs for OS leaving 15.5 gigs usable for games. That'd really hell with the small RAM total jump we got this gen.

Yeah that's not at all going to be the case, think how little bandwidth that SSD has relative to memory, it's nothing in comparison. 

45 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Yeah that's not at all going to be the case, think how little bandwidth that SSD has relative to memory, it's nothing in comparison. 

While I don't think the OS is only going to consume 500MB, that's kind of silly, the SSD wouldn't be there if it wasn't beneficial to swapping assets in and out of memory. You're going to get owned on this.

Edited by lynux3
Just now, lynux3 said:

While I don't think the OS is only going to consume 500MB, that's kind of silly, the SSD wouldn't be there if it was beneficial to swapping assets in and out of memory. You're going to get owned on this.

Sure I am. The SSD compared to the actual memory is a fucking dumpster heap. 

8 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Sure I am. The SSD compared to the actual memory is a fucking dumpster heap. 

This isn't about the CPU/GPU replacing GDDR6 memory access with the SSD, this is about the SSD swapping assets in/out of memory. Yes, you will get owned on this.

Just now, lynux3 said:

This isn't about the CPU/GPU replacing GDDR6 memory access with the SSD, this is about the SSD swapping assets in/out of memory. Yes, you will get owned on this.

What are you idiots even basing this on? Tales from your ass. 

Just now, DynamiteCop! said:

What are you idiots even basing this on? Tales from your ass. 

Developer commentary, design philosophy/speculation, SSD being the number one requested feature from developers for streaming data, etc.

Where are your baseless claims coming from?

Just now, lynux3 said:

Developer commentary, design philosophy/speculation, SSD being the number one requested feature from developers for streaming data, etc.

Where are your baseless claims coming from?

I'm not making a claim, I'm shooting down your baseless claim of this being an aspect of the system operation. 

3 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

I'm not making a claim, I'm shooting down your baseless claim of this being an aspect of the system operation. 

Which is a claim you stupid ass. Where is this baseless claim coming from? My claim comes directly from developers unless you think you know more than they do? :wonder: 

Edit: Even Microsoft acknowledges this.

Enter Xbox Velocity Architecture, which features tight integration between hardware and software and is a revolutionary new architecture optimized for streaming of in game assets. This will unlock new capabilities that have never been seen before in console development, allowing 100 GB of game assets to be instantly accessible by the developer. The components of the Xbox Velocity Architecture all combine to create an effective multiplier on physical memory that is, quite literally, a game changer.

Why do you think they're doing everything they can to eek out every last bit of theoretical throughput they can from their solution? You're an idiot. :shake: 

Edited by lynux3
8 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

Which is a claim you stupid ass. Where is this baseless claim coming from? My claim comes directly from developers unless you think you know more than they do? :wonder: 

Edit: Even Microsoft acknowledges this.

Why do you think they're doing everything they can to eek out every last bit of theoretical throughput they can from their solution? You're an idiot. :shake: 

What developers? Where is anyone talking about OS operations being offloaded to the SSD? You guys are just making shit up at this point, anything is possible but no one is fucking saying this.

Delusions are getting thick. 

1 minute ago, DynamiteCop! said:

What developers? Where is anyone talking about OS operations being offloaded to the SSD? You guys are just making shit up at this point, anything is possible but no one is fucking saying this.

Delusions are getting thick. 

:cosby2: