Still tripping about this #PS5 SSD spec. Like, people don’t even know how big of a leap in terms of game design can be made, especially for 1st party that doesn’t have to design to lowest common denominator. By far the biggest leap in my career. Can’t wait.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

But devs only need this much [----------------------------]   And Sony is giving them this much [--------------------------------------------------------------]   What are they goi

Honestly as soon as Sony shows Silent Hill and Demon's Souls all this shit doesn't matter.

I'm sure you did... On PlayStation.

9 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

Do the math, learn something. I already held your hand once, not anymore.

Holy shit you're fucking stupid :D 

It's 5.5GB Raw... which means uncompressed...... when you compress that data, it's equivalent to transfer at rates of 9GB/s.. because the data is roughly half the size...

You FUCKING moron :kaz: 

Edited by Remij_
2 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Holy shit you're fucking stupid :D 

It's 5.5GB Raw... which means uncompressed...... when you compress that data, it's equivalent to transfer at rates of 9GB/s.. because the data is roughly half the size...

You FUCKING moron :kaz: 

No, you stupid mother fucker. :cosby2: It is just the theoretical max the SSD can achieve with decompression. My God you're a dumbass. :scared: 

Just now, lynux3 said:

No, you stupid mother fucker. :cosby2: It is just the theoretical max the SSD can achieve with decompression. My God you're a dumbass. :scared: 

lmao... you just said it's the theoretical max the SSD can achieve with decompression.... and you're here saying 22GB/s :kaz: 

Please show me ANYWHERE that says 22GB/s ever...  with regards to PS5's SSD.  I'll wait.... because if Sony COULD say that number... they fucking would have you god damn clown. ROFL

Man... stop talking about shit you don't understand... like as if you do :hest: 

Just now, Remij_ said:

lmao... you just said it's the theoretical max the SSD can achieve with decompression.... and you're here saying 22GB/s :kaz: 

Please show me ANYWHERE that says 22GB/s ever...  with regards to PS5's SSD.  I'll wait.... because if Sony COULD say that number... they fucking would have you god damn clown. ROFL

Man... stop talking about shit you don't understand... like as if you do :hest: 

It's theoretical maximum of the custom decompression hardware PS5 is using and requires a perfect compression ratio. It'll never be achieved and frankly no one gives a shit in real world scenarios. It's just like Xbox Series X's theoretical maximum is 6GB/s.

Additionally, you need to calm the fuck down. I understand this shit is way over your head, but you need to get the fuck off my nuts. :facep: 

1 minute ago, lynux3 said:

It's theoretical maximum of the custom decompression hardware PS5 is using and requires a perfect compression ratio. It'll never be achieved and frankly no one gives a shit in real world scenarios. It's just like Xbox Series X's theoretical maximum is 6GB/s.

Additionally, you need to calm the fuck down. I understand this shit is way over your head, but you need to get the fuck off my nuts. :facep: 

Dude... do yourself a favor... and don't go around anywhere saying 22GB/s uncompressed.... you sound like a fucking idiot.  I'm trying to help you here :hest: 

Just now, Remij_ said:

Dude... do yourself a favor... and don't go around anywhere saying 22GB/s uncompressed.... you sound like a fucking idiot.  I'm trying to help you here :hest: 

Nuts. Get off of them. :facep: 

22 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

Cerny's arguement is high clocks with less CUs to hit the same tflop gives higher performance because it makes other parts of the GPU operate faster.

Then we hear about number of CUs and ray tracing. Something is really off.

He's right..  It does make every aspect of the GPU perform faster.  There's certain aspects of rendering that will perform faster on PS5 than Series X specifically due to the higher frequency... but MS has more of those transistors working together which more than offsets that bump in frequency.

In the end.. Cerny brought it up because it's true.. and it makes the PS5 sound like it's being more efficient... but in reality the Series X is more powerful, and has other advantages in other ways.  RT is but one of them.

It's also why I ask about whether Sony even supports VRS and ML or not...  With more CUs MS could have a sizable leg up..regardless.

10 hours ago, DynamiteCop! said:

I watched it while driving, I didn't see everything.

God, you really are fucking stupid. Maybe the Coronavirus is just natural selection cleaning the gene-pool of people like you. 

1 hour ago, Team 2019 said:

Still tripping about this #PS5 SSD spec. Like, people don’t even know how big of a leap in terms of game design can be made, especially for 1st party that doesn’t have to design to lowest common denominator. By far the biggest leap in my career. Can’t wait.

bbbbbut Dumbfuck cop said 2X bandwidth won't make a difference..... what thr fuck does developers know? :grimaceleft:

2 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

bbbbbut Dumbfuck cop said 2X bandwidth won't make a difference..... what thr fuck does developers know? :grimaceleft:

But devs only need this much [----------------------------]

And Sony is giving them this much [--------------------------------------------------------------]

What are they going to do with the remaining [-------------------------------------] of useless extra power :wonder: 

• Haha 3

What John is saying sounds pretty right to me! I don't want to down play GPU power, but I promise everybody that you will be absolutely blown away by visuals on both consoles. However, the SSDs are the big difference when coming into this gen. We're not talking about "load times" in the classic sense. That's an antiquated way of thinking about data coming from your hard drive. For the last 10+ years we've been streaming worlds on the fly. The problem is that our assets are absolutely huge now, as are our draw distances, and our hard drives can't keep up. It means that as you move through the world we're trying to detect and even predict what assets need loading. Tons of constraints get put into place due to this streaming speed.

An ultra fast drive like the one in PS5 means you could be load in the highest level LOD asset for your models way further than you could before and make worlds any way you want without worry of it streaming in fast enough. The PS5 drive is so fast I imagine you could load up entire neighborhoods in a city with all of their maps at super high resolution in a blink of an eye. It's exciting. People don't realize that this will also affect visuals in a big way. If we can stream in bigger worlds and stream in the highest detail texture maps available, it will just look so much better.

I think the Xbox drive is also good! The PS5 drive is just "dream level" architecture though.

It’s obvious Sony invested in the SSD instead of adding a couple more TFs. Whether it pays off though remains to be seen.

The biggest difference is RAM bandwidth that PS5 has less off. Tflop and SSD are secondary compared to that.

The systems are pretty much equal in real world terms but you will probably see something like 1900p Vs 2160p.

So you'll get a lower ress and faster load times on PS5 in most third party games.

MS still beat Sony if we are being real here. Question is price here. If Sony can get a 50-100 price win the specs are great.

Edited by Team 2019

Dev..

"What John is saying sounds pretty right to me! I don't want to down play GPU power, but I promise everybody that you will be absolutely blown away by visuals on both consoles. However, the SSDs are the big difference when coming into this gen. We're not talking about "load times" in the classic sense. That's an antiquated way of thinking about data coming from your hard drive. For the last 10+ years we've been streaming worlds on the fly. The problem is that our assets are absolutely huge now, as are our draw distances, and our hard drives can't keep up. It means that as you move through the world we're trying to detect and even predict what assets need loading. Tons of constraints get put into place due to this streaming speed.

An ultra fast drive like the one in PS5 means you could be load in the highest level LOD asset for your models way further than you could before and make worlds any way you want without worry of it streaming in fast enough. The PS5 drive is so fast I imagine you could load up entire neighborhoods in a city with all of their maps at super high resolution in a blink of an eye. It's exciting. People don't realize that this will also affect visuals in a big way. If we can stream in bigger worlds and stream in the highest detail texture maps available, it will just look so much better.

I think the Xbox drive is also good! The PS5 drive is just "dream level" architecture though. "

Just saw the new #PS5 presentation. Great job ! Since I routinely have to explain to people why I'm excited for an SSD for rendering I thought I'd write a little thread to explain. Case in point: Uncharted 1 to Last of Us transition:
ETa_f2WU4AU0i-G?format=jpg&name=medium

It's a bit of a spin though to suggest X's SSD isn't fast enough for this though.

It's plenty fast.  Both are extremely fast.  We don't know enough about everything yet to make real informed guesses.

We know the SSD is faster, but how much faster in Random IOPS?  How will the memory configs of each play a part? ect ect..

Both will allow things never EVER before possible.

9 hours ago, jehurey said:

I think a game with fast motion in loading the environment is going to benefit from this feature.

I think this will be a perfect opportunity for car driving games to show off what its all about.

the environment around the car and not the actual gameplay by driving the car? vrrruum vrrrrruuuuuum-sightseeing :kaz:   god i hate car racing games :kaz: 

2 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

Well Sony only has an SSD advantage so the marketing has to spin the living fuck out of it. No SSD is making up for a weaker GPU or less RAM bandwidth and we all know it.

Only upside is the difference between them is still small.

It's REALLY hard to say.  Fidelity-wise.. maybe not.. but MAYBE some game design is possible on one that isn't on the other.  Who knows?  

How either the SSD advantage or the Compute advantage will translate into real world differences remains to be seen.

MS apparently has the velocity engine which exponentially increases the throughput of that 2.5/5GBs bandwidth...  Sony has things like faster frequencies and other things which could help improve performance in certain cases.

It's all VERY hard to say at this point..  but on paper, over all, I think MS has the better designed machine.  Sony's devs will probably push the system past it's weight in some cases, but the vast majority will not take advantage of that SSD outside of load times.