Gamesbeat - 8/10

Edited by Remij_
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just beat it, my god this was absolutely incredible. A perfect mix of 1 & 2, shocking revelations, shocking implications, easily the most jaw dropping ending I've ever had in a game.   

Half Life  Bleeding Edge  

Not bad.    So we got 93....   -5 because it's half life and gabe made them wait 13 years so they wanted it more -5 because it's valve and the same reasons -10 because it

Posted Images

PCGamer:

I played the final three hours of Half-Life: Alyx in a single session. Before Alyx, I never used VR for more than 30 minutes at a time. I don't get motion sick but I do get generally tired of VR. Tired of having a hunk of plastic strapped to my face, of having to stand and stoop and reach awkwardly around, of not being able to check my phone or have a sip of coffee. But I didn't take a break, or even want to, during the final chapters of Half-Life: Alyx. I wasn't tired. I was completely enthralled and unwilling to stop playing.

When I played through the ending (no spoilers here, but trust me, you'll want to keep your VR headset on through the credits), I reloaded my last autosave and played through the ending a second time. And then I went back to the beginning of the game and started playing again.

:smoke: 

Mine just finished decrpyting.  Finishing up some lunch and I'm jumping in :blessed: 

Gamesbeat gave it an 8/10.... seemingly lowering the score because it's releasing during this pandemic....

Half-Life: Alyx review — A great VR game for the wrong time

What you won’t like
Playing this game right now

I almost feel bad holding this against the game, but now is a rough time to play something that immerses you into an intense, 10-hour long experience in a postapocalyptic world filled with monsters and lots of other things that want to kill you.

Compared to Half-Life 2, Alyx leans more into the survival-horror genre. Enemies hit harder, ammo is scarce, and health is limited. It’s not as fast or action-based as Half-Life 2. Now, this makes a lot of sense for the VR transition. Atmosphere is a big part of VR, and leaning more into horror elements is one way to create a more visceral experience.

But it can become mentally exhausting. I would play in sessions between one or two hours long, and I’d be straight up fatigued after them. Now, I suppose that means that the game is doing its job. But considering how stressed out I already am about being in shelter-in-place and practicing social distancing, I have to say that I’m envious of my friends who were spending all of their time catching virtual fish and paying off digital home loans.

lmao fuck you.....  Wonder if they'll do the same thing for TLOU2 :reg: 

2 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Gamesbeat gave it an 8/10.... seemingly lowering the score because it's releasing during this pandemic....

I was thinking the same thing. :D Fuck 'em. :smoke: 

1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

i had actually wondered, this morning, if the game would get delayed because of A: closed stores B: subject matter

i hope it still releases in may, even if it gets knocked for doing so. i've waited long enough. 

6 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Thats stupid. Games are meant to be an escape from reality. The opportunity to play something new and temporarily forget about the shitshow in the real world should be a positive.

Not bad. 

So we got 93....

-5 because it's half life and gabe made them wait 13 years so they wanted it more

-5 because it's valve and the same reasons

-10 because it's the first passable VR game so expectations are lower

Sounds like we got a solid 73 if it were a real game boys. 

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Casual said:

Not bad. 

So we got 93....

-5 because it's half life and gabe made them wait 13 years so they wanted it more

-5 because it's valve and the same reasons

-10 because it's the first passable VR game so expectations are lower

Sounds like we got a solid 73 if it were a real game boys. 

:grimaceleft: