Official Half-Life: Alyx Review thread

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just beat it, my god this was absolutely incredible. A perfect mix of 1 & 2, shocking revelations, shocking implications, easily the most jaw dropping ending I've ever had in a game.   

Half Life  Bleeding Edge  

Not bad.    So we got 93....   -5 because it's half life and gabe made them wait 13 years so they wanted it more -5 because it's valve and the same reasons -10 because it

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

This game is incredible, there's nothing like this in VR, like absolutely nothing. The amount of presence in this world is incredible, you completely forget everything around you. They nailed this, it's Half-Life through and through.

I dunno what Chapter you're on... but breh.. Chapter 3 is :dame: 

6 hours ago, kaz said:

this is the first real VR game if you like it or not. I will play it this weekend. I can't wait :blessed:  

@Ramza :mock:

Lol bullshit. You know Im right nigga, it might be a new benchmark for VR but hardly the first real or great game. Give me a break.

• Haha 1
Just now, Ramza said:

Lol bullshit. You know Im right nigga, it might be a new benchmark for VR but hardly the first real or great game. Give me a break.

Man I don't know, this is like some real shit. This is the first VR game that actually feels like a real game in VR. Not trying to sell you on a gimmick, not trying to turn something that isn't into something else, like a AAA game you can tell was from the bottom up built around the entire concept of what can be done with VR. 

It's next-level.   

1 minute ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Man I don't know, this is like some real shit. This is the first VR game that actually feels like a real game in VR. Not trying to sell you on a gimmick, not trying to turn something that isn't into something else, like a AAA game you can tell was from the bottom up built around the entire concept of what can be done with VR. 

It's next-level.   

Im sure its incredible but I still disagree with the idea that its the first real VR game. Thats just fucking stupid. A new benchmark though? Thats a given.

20 minutes ago, Ramza said:

Im sure its incredible but I still disagree with the idea that its the first real VR game. Thats just fucking stupid. A new benchmark though? Thats a given.

Most VR games up to this point have been simplistic tech showcases or proofs of concept. Valve has the luxury of being able to invest heavily in a single game even if it is exclusive to VR (especially if it has the Half Life name). Most other developers aren't able to take that risk.

Edited by Twinblade

Anyway the game itself is pretty good, though it still has a lot of the limitations of the typical VR game. Teleporting to move around is still not ideal and makes it feel like you're just controlling a floating camera which lessens the immersion.

The gravity gloves are a great mechanic though, and make interacting with the environment easy and intuitive.

Edited by Twinblade
7 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Most VR games up to this point have been simplistic tech showcases or proofs of concept. 

I think that notion is ridiculous and vastly exaggerated. Especially with tons of traditional games being successfully ported into VR. 

Was my hundreds of hours of game time in Borderlands 2, Wipeout and Skyrim not a real game experience despite the games being the exact same as their non VR counterparts?

Anyway, Im tired of arguing about this. Most of you have just a few hours of VR under your belt, Id probably think the same too.

Edited by Ramza
  • Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Most VR games up to this point have been simplistic tech showcases or proofs of concept. Valve has the luxury of being able to invest heavily in a single game even if it is exclusive to VR (especially if it has the Half Life name). Most other developers aren't able to take that risk.

It's definitely not the first REAL VR game.

I fully agree with Ramza.  It's the best VR game I've played for sure... but let's not act like there haven't been TRUE VR games out there already.

Lone Echo

Super Hot

Beat Saber

Astro Bot

Moss

Asgard's Wrath

Stormland

Boneworks

and now HL: Alyx

ALL are great FULL games in their own right.. completely realized for the medium

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, Ramza said:

I think that notion is ridiculous and vastly exaggerated. Especially with tons of traditional games being successfully ported into VR. 

Was my hundreds of hours of game time in Borderlands 2, Wipeout and Skyrim not a real game experience despite the games being the exact same as their non VR counterparts?

Anyway, Im tired of arguing about this. Most of you have just a few hours of VR under your belt, Id probably think the same too.

Im not including regular games with VR modes, the whole comparison should be about games actually built for VR. 90% of them are still shooting galleries or cheeky physics simulators with limited depth and content.

Edited by Twinblade
2 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

It's definitely not the first REAL VR game.

I fully agree with Ramza.  It's the best VR game I've played for sure... but let's not act like there haven't been TRUE VR games out there already.

Lone Echo

Super Hot

Beat Saber

Astro Bot

Moss

Asgard's Wrath

Stormland

Boneworks

and now HL: Alyx

ALL are great FULL games in their own right.. completely realized for the medium

I think it shows how much the average gamer needs big AAA budgets and recognizable IPs to give a shit. A shame really.

Anyway, PSVR is pretty dead. Looking forward to the current PC VR games coming to PSVR2 down the line. Asgards Wrath, Stormland, Boneworks, Alyx. I want some of that shit. 

1 minute ago, Twinblade said:

Im not including regular games with VR modes, the whole comparison should be about games actually built for VR. 90% of them are still shooting galleries or cheeky physics simulators with limited depth and content.

Theres a lot of that, sure. But theres also enough real games with great content made exclusively for VR. 

So Half Life Alyx is not the first of anything. Maybe the best VR game to date, Im fine with that.

Im done with the arguments here anyway. Enjoy the game people.