FFVII Remake perfect 10 at Gamespot (also the OT)

8 minutes ago, bhytre said:

ATB boosting materia is the best, especially the one that give you meter at the start of every battle :smoke: 

Constantly switching characters is the way to go though :topo: 

The First Strike materia :datass:

There’s also an accessory that fills your limit break bar at the start of every battle. 

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lmao not even AAA ? 

New avatar and faction change in preparation for Friday.

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, bhytre said:

ATB boosting materia is the best, especially the one that give you meter at the start of every battle :smoke: 

The First Strike materia is great for an early Assess or Unbridled Strength, but it doesn't do much mid-fight. I'd try the ATB boost from blocking materia on Aerith since it fits the problem I have with her, but it feels kind of shitty to waste a materia slot on bad AI.

39 minutes ago, bhytre said:

Constantly switching characters is the way to go though :topo: 

You need Jesus. :martin:

7 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

You need Jesus. :martin:

It's literally how its meant to be played :topo:

Cast a spell or ability -> switch character, attack/build meter and cast or save up ATB as you rotate characters and unleash attacks from all 3 at once :smoke: 

It also keeps enemy attacks away from you for a few moments as they're still focusing on your previous character

3 minutes ago, bhytre said:

Cast a spell or ability -> switch character, attack/build meter and cast or save up ATB as you rotate characters and unleash attacks from all 3 at once :smoke: 

It also keeps enemy attacks away from you for a few moments as they're still focusing on your previous character

Yeah the constant switching when I was facing Rude made it a cake walk.

1 hour ago, bhytre said:

If it were how it was meant to be played there'd be a benefit to it, but there isn't. There's no synergy bonuses or team attacks or anything like that. Saving up ATBs for an imminent stagger is all there is and that doesn't require character swapping. Characters build ATB just fine on their own most of the time and you can spend it without swapping.

Meanwhile, AI Cloud won't use the counter attack, go into Punisher stance on his own, and he'll exit Punisher stance the first chance he gets, so it's a DPS/pressure/stagger loss to switch characters. If the AI on Aerith didn't get "stuck", the only times it would make sense to switch characters would be to use Tifa's triangle attack on a staggered enemy to boost the stagger multiplier (which even then it's not mathematically worth doing over just having her attacking unless you have a Limit break ready) and switching to a character that deals with aerial enemies better. Feeling like a baller and animation cancelling in a JRPG with Barrett would be an acceptable third option.

Enemies focus the controlled character and it's both offensively and defensively advantageous for that character to be Cloud, so it's just more efficient to not swap characters the majority of the time.

16 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

Reveal hidden contents

The zipline off the plate scene. 

:whew:

Hid your comment just because some people might consider that a light spoiler. But yeah, that whole chapter was great even if it had a lot of silly 'anime moments' if you know what I mean.

47 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I just got to the 2nd to last chapter (i think). They're really going all out with the eye candy in these parts.

It's honestly really impressive how fast the action sequences are at some point with very quick camera cuts all over the place.  The game is a visual feast at times.

It's got some unfortunate tech issues though.. but they make the most of it.

Going to get ready for bed soon but just finished chapter 9. The set pieces in this game are just incredible. Square really put effort into making this memorable and have outrageous production value. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

It's honestly really impressive how fast the action sequences are at some point with very quick camera cuts all over the place.  The game is a visual feast at times.

It's got some unfortunate tech issues though.. but they make the most of it.

You can tell it is literally pushing the tech as far as it can go by just how many of the hidden loading areas there are in such a linear game. So many crawl spaces and slow moving segments. 

• Like 1

Just finished it after 46 hours. I definitely have mixed feelings about the way things were wrapped up

The last 2 chapters were chock full of visual spectacle after visual spectacle but the writing and storytelling did go slightly downhill. When they pull back the curtains and start focusing on the alternate timelines and basically breaking their equivalent of the fourth wall from a storytelling perspective. It definitely felt like some Kingdom Hearts level bullshit. The whole dialogue exchanges about fate and destiny in particular bordered on cringeworthy, I was fully expecting one of the characters to start going on a tangent about hearts and the darkness within them and shit.

What I will say is that from the beginning I had the gut feeling that there was no way Aerith would die like in the original. Thats something literally everyone in the gaming world is expecting, even those that never played the original (thanks to memes and the internet). So I think this definitely gives them a good excuse to go just off the rails enough to surprise fans of the original and newcomers alike.

So all things considered, I had a great time with the game and im keeping an open mind for the sequel/s but they are definitely straddling a fine line with the alternate timelines and what that means for future events. Im very curious more than anything else and I think theres potential here to steer the story in some really interesting directions while still being mostly faithful to the original. 

Just an aside but I would have also liked to see more flashbacks to Nibelheim and the events surrounding its destruction, but they could be saving that stuff for later on. Or just show more of Tifa's and Cloud's relationship when they were kids, I really enjoyed those parts of the story.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Ike said:

Ok I’m at Chapter 14 and there seems like a lot of side quests still. Is it worth it? I kinda just want to see the end of the story at this point. 

Chapter 14 is the last chapter with side quests and also has the most. There is some pretty cool ones cause you will verse some enemies you wouldn't otherwise miss, however they are also the longest quests in the game so far. Think Chapter 14 took me like 6 hours to do or something like that. 

After the game ends you get Chapter Select to go back and do any chapter on any difficulty you want so you can also easily skip them now and come back to Chapter 14 after you finish the game and do them then. 

55 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Chapter 14 is the last chapter with side quests and also has the most. There is some pretty cool ones cause you will verse some enemies you wouldn't otherwise miss, however they are also the longest quests in the game so far. Think Chapter 14 took me like 6 hours to do or something like that. 

After the game ends you get Chapter Select to go back and do any chapter on any difficulty you want so you can also easily skip them now and come back to Chapter 14 after you finish the game and do them then. 

I skimmed through the text prompts near the end, but do you know if its possible to just hop into a chapter, complete some stuff, and then hop out? Or do you actually need to finish the chapter for your character progress to save?

4 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I skimmed through the text prompts near the end, but do you know if its possible to just hop into a chapter, complete some stuff, and then hop out? Or do you actually need to finish the chapter for your character progress to save?

You have to complete the chapter for stuff to save which is ridiculous. They’re whole post game set up sucks tbh