Gematsu: Mafia II: Definitive Edition and Mafia III: Definitive Edition rated for PS4, Xbox One, and PC

Mafia and Mafia II were good games. Not sure if gameplay is outdated now. I read the 3rd one sucked so I didn't play it. 

I am remembering all those old open world games that weren't GTA and I had fun with them...Scarface (I thought it was better than Vice City), True Crime, Sleeping Dogs. 

The missions in Mafia 1 are outdated, by that I mean mission design.  And the cars would be an absolute punishment to play today.  The shooting is pretty awesome, its basically standard Max Payne shooting without the slowdown. But that's it, that's entirely what the game is comprised of. This is not going to include Mafia 1.

Mafia 2 is a weird game. You will basically never have any reason to drive into 60-70% of the entire map. Its an open world game, yet its pretty damn linear because you only ever have one mission to go to. The main character is pretty interesting.

Mafia 3 is a true open world game, its got a pretty damn interesting open world, and a fucking excellent music soundtrack. Its got alot of highly repetitive side missions that you would need to do in order to "take over" portions of the map, and you'd want to do that in order to get the best possible ending. Fantastic characters, its got a fantastic method of storytelling, its got really well-directed cutscenes. These guys made Bioshock 2 Minerva's Den if I'm not mistaken.

Its worth it for Mafia 3. but I think you could get Mafia 3 for PS4/XBO/PC right now for cheap, including the DLC.

So is there more to this story?  because somebody at neogaf just pulled up a thread from a reddit rumor from last November.

They predicted a 2K Czech studio to be working on a Mafia 2, but they called it closer to a "remake" than "remaster"

And that is because they are transferring the game to an updated game engine that is going to be used for..............Mafia 4.

That's right, last year, Hanger 13 in the UK supposedly had a prototype and plans for another mafia game, and Hanger 13 in the US kinda stopped its plans for working on a new game IP, and are now pushing ahead with making a Mafia 4 for 2021.

Which makes me excited.

Also, apparently Mafia 2 had alot, ALOT of content cut out of the game. If this remake were to incorporate that, then I suddenly want to play it.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently its all three games.

With Mafia 1 being brought up to the Mafia 2 game engine.

a9T3k8L.png

Mafia: Definitive Edition - Leaks + Main Menu. (+ Mafia 4).

Mafia Definitive Edition got leaked a few days ago, so i decided to share what i know about the game.

1. As everyone expected, it will be called: Mafia - Definitive Edition.
  2. No console exclusive content.
  3. Mafia - Def. Edition will be available exclusively on EGS for 6 months.
  4. Mafia - Def. Edition will be a Digital-Only game for 1 month.
  5. Mafia - Def. Edition will receive a physical version when Mafia 1 will be available.
  6. The physical version will include the CD (for Mafia 3: Def. Edition) and 2 Digital Codes for Mafia 1 and Mafia 2.
  7. The reason why Mafia 1 will be the last one to release is 2K wants it to be redone, it won't be a remake though. 2K is aiming for Mafia 1 to look exactly like Mafia 2.
  8. Mafia 2 won't be receiving anything besides a new shader and textures (It's similar to Saints Row 3: Remastered).
  9. Mafia 3 will have some bugs fixed, and it will look a bit better (just a bit).
  10. If you already own Mafia 3 you will get all the DLC's for free.
  11. All 3 remastered games will be sold separately ($25 each) or you can buy the Mafia - Definitive Edition Pack ($55)
  12. Select Game menu is Subject to Change.
  13. If you already own Mafia 2 and Mafia 3 on PC (Steam) you will automatically receive the Definitive Edition Patch for both of them.
  14. If you already own Mafia 1, 2 and 3 on PC (Steam) the games will be removed from your library, and Steam will automatically change it to Mafia - Def. Edition. (Similar to what R* did with their GTA Complete Edition Re-Release).
  15. The Patch for Mafia 3 Def. Edition will be a bit bigger because it will include one new cutscene.
  16. After you 100% Complete Mafia 3 Def. Edition, one new quest will appear on the map. The quest will be called "What's Next...?", after you arrive at the new quest, a short cutscene will start. At the end of the cutscene the logo for Mafia IV will be revealed. Keep in mind, this quest is Subject to Change; From what i know 2K wants to do something a bit different for the Mafia IV reveal instead of just adding a new quest to the Base Game.
  17. Mafia - Def. Edition will be out in September, with Mafia 1: Def. Edition coming in Late October.
  18. Mafia - Def. Edition will be revealed relatively soon, supposedly at Sony's next State of Play.
  19. Mafia IV will be a Next Gen title (so no PS4 or Xbox One release). 2K is working alongside Sony for some exclusive Mafia content on the PlayStation 5 (I don't know any other details related to the deal between 2K and Sony).
  20. There are chances that Mafia IV will be more of a reboot instead of a proper sequel.
  21. Hangar 13 is done with Mafia. 2K will assign the IP to another studio.
  22. Mafia - Def. Edition will come to Nintendo Switch in 2021 but the bundle will only include Mafia 1 and Mafia 2 (there's a chance that Mafia 3 will also be included, but it will be a really bad version of the base game, and nobody wants another *cough* wwe 2k18 *cough*).
  23. Mafia 1 and 2 on Switch will look exactly the same as the original releases.
  24. Mafia - Def. Edition (2 and 3) will be released in September for PC (EGS), PS4 and Xbox One; with Mafia 1 coming in October alongside a Physical edition. And in 2021 for Nintendo Switch (Mafia 1 and 2)
  25. The thing no one asked for, 2K is working on a mobile Mafia game.

This is everything i know related to Mafia - Definitive Edition and Mafia IV. Keep in mind that there are some things that are completely subject to change (e.g. Main Menu, New Mafia 3 Quest, Mobile Game, Switch Port)

Here is the Main Menu again.

Mafia 1 was was excellent for it’s time but I’m sure it’s too dated today. Never played 2, but 3 was pretty good in terms of characters and story, and the gunplay was surprisingly good, it’s just the repetitive mission structure where you do the same thing over and over gets tiring fast. 

On 2020-04-06 at 1:13 PM, jehurey said:

The missions in Mafia 1 are outdated, by that I mean mission design.  And the cars would be an absolute punishment to play today.  The shooting is pretty awesome, its basically standard Max Payne shooting without the slowdown. But that's it, that's entirely what the game is comprised of. This is not going to include Mafia 1.

Mafia 2 is a weird game. You will basically never have any reason to drive into 60-70% of the entire map. Its an open world game, yet its pretty damn linear because you only ever have one mission to go to. The main character is pretty interesting.

Mafia 3 is a true open world game, its got a pretty damn interesting open world, and a fucking excellent music soundtrack. Its got alot of highly repetitive side missions that you would need to do in order to "take over" portions of the map, and you'd want to do that in order to get the best possible ending. Fantastic characters, its got a fantastic method of storytelling, its got really well-directed cutscenes. These guys made Bioshock 2 Minerva's Den if I'm not mistaken.

Its worth it for Mafia 3. but I think you could get Mafia 3 for PS4/XBO/PC right now for cheap, including the DLC.

I remember the cars in Mafia 1 :D man they sucked for driving.. I think they were trying to emulate cars from that era... you had that race car you had to go around the track with I remember.  I enjoyed it.

Edited by Spicalicious
4 hours ago, Spicalicious said:

I remember the cars in Mafia 1 :D man they sucked for driving.. I think they were trying to emulate cars from that era... you had that race car you had to go around the track with I remember.  I enjoyed it.

I had to cheat in that racing level, I have no idea how people beat that level. its brutal.

They had a cut in the wall that allowed you to drive across the median and skip one half of the track.

The most basic, basic, lowest-tiered car in the game was UNABLE to drive up the incline of that main road that connects to the bridge. It just didn't have the horsepower, and I spent like half an hour trying to build up speed in the car to see if I can get it on the bridge. Yeah, it was trying to go for realism.

One mission, relatively early in the game was pretty cool. It took place at this gas station outside of the city, in the flat lands area, there was nothing else. And there's a shootout inside. And then a couple of enemies get into a car and start driving away, down a dirt road. So I followed them. So, its a shootout occurring between two cars, with some not-so-good aiming, and both cars are traveling about 20 mph. It was actually quite awesome, because it felt authentic.

Just saw a youtube video of that mission, and you could avoid the car chase altogether by simply shooting out his tires to his car earlier in the mission. Pretty clever game, for its time.

2 hours ago, jehurey said:

I had to cheat in that racing level, I have no idea how people beat that level. its brutal.

They had a cut in the wall that allowed you to drive across the median and skip one half of the track.

The most basic, basic, lowest-tiered car in the game was UNABLE to drive up the incline of that main road that connects to the bridge. It just didn't have the horsepower, and I spent like half an hour trying to build up speed in the car to see if I can get it on the bridge. Yeah, it was trying to go for realism.

One mission, relatively early in the game was pretty cool. It took place at this gas station outside of the city, in the flat lands area, there was nothing else. And there's a shootout inside. And then a couple of enemies get into a car and start driving away, down a dirt road. So I followed them. So, its a shootout occurring between two cars, with some not-so-good aiming, and both cars are traveling about 20 mph. It was actually quite awesome, because it felt authentic.

Just saw a youtube video of that mission, and you could avoid the car chase altogether by simply shooting out his tires to his car earlier in the mission. Pretty clever game, for its time.

Yeah I remember that race was really hard and I'm sure I cheated too.  I think I played it on pc mouse/kb.. not sure if it came out on consoles.