• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

those reflections

7 minutes ago, JONBpc said:

Yeah , control isn't a maze of samey environments :mickey:

You're talking about Control the game.  I'm talking about Control... the RT effects.  And the differences are immense.

2 minutes ago, JONBpc said:

Ryx flopped , get over it :shrug:

RTX convinced Sony and MS of the importance of RT :hest: 

RTX. It's ON. B) 

And soon... RTX. It's AMPED. B)B) 

https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-ampere-gtc-keynote/?utm_content=buffer950c6&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_pcgamerfb&fbclid=IwAR16JOpEWsZAhl4uwx-hEGJ_YbXLfnpVlFUeuKvUhnoecYZpn_DVo-TVrAU

:blessed: 

2 hours ago, Remij_ said:

Oh trust me.. they will.  

It's going to become PAINFULLY obvious in the future when looking back at games with rasterized lighting just how fake and static it was.

That lighting that developers fake... was already pre-computed using RT... and then baked into textures.

That's not to say that they haven't done a good job at faking a lot of stuff.  Surely they have.  But the thing is that RT is actually simulated.  Meaning it reacts properly within the game world.  The problem with fake lighting, that you touched upon, is that devs have to put in a lot of work.. and despite that... if you dare look at something in a way the dev didn't intend.. the illusion completely breaks.

But believe me... after more effects, more elements become fully simulated with RT... you're going to have scenes and visuals and dynamic lighting simply not possible no matter how much effort the developers would have put into it.

Thats my point though. Devs have been running Ray tracing and then faking the results in game for years. So we are never going to be blown away with it because we have been seeing games with 99% close to real lighting for years. 

And I expect devs will be using a mix of pre baked and ray tracing moving forward because of the performance costs

4 minutes ago, Voidler said:

Thats my point though. Devs have been running Ray tracing and then faking the results in game for years. So we are never going to be blown away with it because we have been seeing games with 99% close to real lighting for years. 

And I expect devs will be using a mix of pre baked and ray tracing moving forward because of the performance costs

They can only fake it so much... and we've hit those limitations.  Its untenable for developers to continue faking shit while gamers are demanding that graphics get more realistic and complex.

As I said... there's only so much dynamic and realistic lighting they can do with traditional methods.  I think people absolutely will be blown away in the future.. because there's going to be lots of stuff not ever before possible.  Stuff that wont fall apart like a house of cards if you get too close or lose consistency.  Once that consistency becomes standard.. it will be more obvious to see how wrong the rendering of the past was.

I know it's hard to visualize and understand at this point... but hey, I'm talking about the future here.

4 hours ago, JONBpc said:

yeah , that is barely noticeable.  And that's when we are looking at pictures to see it .

Playing the game you wouldn't notice at all . There are better control examples btw 

It's noticeable.  I don't think you were paying close attention when playing.  
I noticed it even back when I was playing Control on my GTX 1660 Ti, especially at the areas where the reflections were everywhere and my framerate dropped to the teens.