• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

those reflections

Just now, ghostz said:

Can you show me why I should be impressed :wonder:

Nope.  I don't think you're knowledgeable enough to understand why it's impressive.  And Ray tracing and the effects of it are something better understood and seen in motion... because the whole point of it is to be dynamic and not static.

1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

Nope.  I don't think you're knowledgeable enough to understand why it's impressive.  And Ray tracing and the effects of it are something better understood and seen in motion... because the whole point of it is to be dynamic and not static.

So show me a video. That’s obv what I was asking for. 

also - if you have to have “knowledge” why something is impressive it’s probably not that impressive to begin with. 

It would be like a business educating you on why you need their product, yet you have no practical use for it. Otherwise.... worthless 

Edited by ghostz
2 minutes ago, ghostz said:

So show me a video. That’s obv what I was asking for. 

also - if you have to have “knowledge” why something is impressive it’s probably not that impressive to begin with. 

It would be like a business educating you on why you need their product, yet you have no practical use for it. Otherwise.... worthless 

Oh, I just read post the best RT comparisons.. I didn't even see video there.

Regardless... nah.. it's quite easy to see that you're not knowledgeable enough to understand and appreciate what is happening.  You prove it by posting stupid shit like "and don't dare post Minecraft!!"... that right there shows me that it's simply a waste of my time... which is why I told you to stay unimpressed.

And you're wrong... nobody needs to convince YOU about why it's necessary.... they simply need to convince developers.... and trust me... they already have. 

4 minutes ago, -GD- said:

it's really noticeable on shiny/wet surfaces

It absolutely looks better, but some people are calling it “next gen” with ray tracing alone. I think it looks marginally better, in certain environments, but some I actually think look worse/unrealistic

this video is what caused me to post the thread 

thanks for posting a video tho, clearly @Remij_ doesn’t believe his own hype smh. 

3 minutes ago, -GD- said:

it's really noticeable on shiny/wet surfaces

As I've said before... people are used to seeing completely incorrect lighting and reflections in games.. so much so that they've tricked themselves into thinking it looks proper.. or "good enough"

But as time goes on and more and more games use RT effects... one day, people will look back and think just how completely fucking ugly and wrong games were without it.

This has happened many times in the past as well.

Just now, Remij_ said:

As I've said before... people are used to seeing completely incorrect lighting and reflections in games.. so much so that they've tricked themselves into thinking it looks proper.. or "good enough"

But as time goes on and more and more games use RT effects... one day, people will look back and think just how completely fucking ugly and wrong games were without it.

This has happened many times in the past as well.

yeah, we are conditioned to accepting baked shadows and reflections. the bridge comparison in the BF5 vid blew my mind (seeing its actual reflection on the water vs. a smudged mess)

Just now, ghostz said:

It absolutely looks better, but some people are calling it “next gen” with ray tracing alone. I think it looks marginally better, in certain environments, but some I actually think look worse/unrealistic

this video is what caused me to post the thread 

thanks for posting a video tho, clearly @Remij_ doesn’t believe his own hype smh. 

See that's because that's RT done through a shader by accessing the depth buffer......  It's not even close to an actual RT implementation in engine.  Basically it's essentially screenspace ray tracing... it can't be used for anything off screen.

Stop using shit like that as a gauge for the technology... especially when you're trying argue with me about understanding it.

1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

See that's because that's RT done through a shader by accessing the depth buffer......  It's not even close to an actual RT implementation in engine.  Basically it's essentially screenspace ray tracing... it can't be used for anything off screen.

Stop using shit like that as a gauge for the technology... especially when you're trying argue with me about understanding it.

I’m asking you to help me understand it and....you’re arguing with yourself for whatever reason 

9 minutes ago, ghostz said:

I’m asking you to help me understand it and....you’re arguing with yourself for whatever reason 

Well, you have to understand the about of shit I've gotten here about RT from people who don't understand and simply want to troll.

I've put a lot of effort and made tons of informative posts here explaining why it's technically impressive, what it's actually doing, and comparing.. and then usually deal with responses like "oh, so it's a little darker?" and stupid shit like that.

So forgive me for not taking it serious.