Bu but diminishing returns :cry:

17 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

I agree with you, that tends to happen every gen.  Look at what Ubi showed last week (CG) and look at what MS showed with Hellblade II a few months back, it was literally a movie running at 24 fps ( that the FR movies run at) and definitely wasn't gameplay. 

But Epic engine demos actually run on real hardware in real time and games end up looking better then the intial UE engine demo reveal. 

Go back at look at the PS4 UE4 engine demo reveal and go look at UE4 games throughout the gen.... Games ended up looking much better than the intial UE4 demo running on PS4. 

It's a game engine. They show what can be accomplished at some point but the reality is game graphics is a marriage of performance, input, and fidelity.  They dont have to compensate for rendering AI, user input, or an interactive 3D environment. They are a fine muscle flex but it's like hearing a singers voice with autotune. To simply say you can just make games look like this is a lie when most games can't and wont. 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah im sure a 8 minute tech demo made by an army of artists that probably ended up reaching 50+gb in size is going to be an accurate representation of next gen games....come on now  You guys fall for

This tech demo reaction is a perfect example of why people expecting 4K / 60fps next gen are on crack.

This a game engine running on the hardware in real time.. that's different from showing an estimation of what it will would like. Those are two different things.  The later is the one where the games

17 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

Its the most popular middleware and like half of next gen games will be made on it. From AAA games to Japanese panty simulators. It's exciting. An engine has absolutely nothing to do with game design anyway.

Depends from the engine, but most of the industry seems to be fixated on the possibility of more realistic looking games while ignoring what is most important for us, the gameplay.

Just look at Frostbite 3.

An engine that gave us very awesome looking fps games like Battlefield 1 and 5 but awful for everything else. It was actually the downfall of EA this gen, as many games flopped because of an engine that while visually stunning, it was not meant for more than one game (take Bioware and Mass Effect Andromeda. They literally had to create facial animations for an engine that was not meant for it).

The Unreal 3 engine was another engine that had the same clay and metallic feel with static gameplay.

I believe the last time I saw a good looking and properly playable engine was Source with the addition of physics.

Then we had to sudden surge of physics based games but then it flopped when they tried to make a sole peripheral make the calculations by itself (phYsx).

8 minutes ago, Liquid said:

It's a game engine. They show what can be accomplished at some point but the reality is game graphics is a marriage of performance, input, and fidelity.  They dont have to compensate for rendering AI, user input, or an interactive 3D environment. They are a fine muscle flex but it's like hearing a singers voice with autotune. To simply say you can just make games look like this is a lie when most games can't and wont. 

This a game engine running on the hardware in real time.. that's different from showing an estimation of what it will would like. Those are two different things.  The later is the one where the games never match the demo.  The former is one where the games end up looking better than the demo. 

You also have to factor in this is the first iteration of ghe engine.  Epic constantly updates the engine to be more optimized for the hardware it runs on.... CONSTANTLY, it's every evolving. 

That why the demo shown only represents the starting point of what the engine can do. 

Again... go back and look at the UE4 demo on PS4 and then compare it to the UE4 games we got throughout the gen.   The UE4 games blew that demo out of the water. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Goukosan said:

This a game engine running on the hardware in real time.. that's different from showing an estimation of what it will would like. Those are two different things.  The later is the one where the games never match the demo.  The former is one where the games end up looking better than the demo. 

You also have to factor in this is the first iteration of ghe engine.  Epic constantly updates the engine to be more optimized for the hardware it runs on.... CONSTANTLY, it's every evolving. 

That why the demo shown only represents the starting point of what the engine can do. 

Again... go back and look at the UE4 demo on PS4 and then compare it to the UE4 games we got throughout the gen.   The UE4 games blew that demo out of the water. 

The past isn't really relevant because rendering techniques and features have already started to peak. The lighting techniques in the UE5 demo are actually the same ones already being utilized in many recent current gen games, the main difference is that they're more optimized and being applied to much more detailed environments. Thats where the biggest improvements in graphics will be, but i don't expect games to look radically different because theres a limit to how much you can improve on lighting and big improvements in lighting/shading is whats made game graphics really 'pop' in the transition from one gen to the next.

6 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

The past isn't really relevant because rendering techniques and features have already started to peak. The lighting techniques in the UE5 demo are actually the same ones already being utilized in many recent current gen games, the main difference is that they're more optimized and being applied to much more detailed environments. Thats where the biggest improvements in graphics will be, but i don't expect games to look radically different because theres a limit to how much you can improve on lighting and big improvements in lighting/shading is whats made game graphics really 'pop' in the transition from one gen to the next.

If you really get into it while this is nothing to scoff at, it just looks like an improvement on Frostbite from Star Wars Battlefront. 

Yeah it looks great but it just looks like more advanced photogrammetry.

46295_14_star-wars-battlefront-screensho

Eh.........I can't say that I'm impressed with the rock formations and the "interactivity" of the falling rocks. How many rock particles are falling at any given time, like less than a hundred?

The final sequence where she is gliding, and some towers and pillars are falling over. They don't have that many broken rock particles. Feels like something i can see in Uncharted 4.

I mean, I was hoping we'd be getting closer to some truly amazing physics demonstrations:

That is the type of true physics and "interactive" particles that I want to see. You're in a chopper and you are decimating stone buildings or a rocky mountainside as you fire a minigun and just spray bullets all over the place.

I did like the global illumination, and the soft light bouncing off of those soldier statues as that cieling was opening and allowing light into the room. I thought that was the nicest effect in the whole video.

8 minutes ago, jehurey said:

but that's cool, right? Don't you think we should be getting to that point in physics?

yes, but I want shit like clipping gone first. I hate it. 

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, JONBpc said:

not even epic wants to use RT lol

lol

Also shown off in the tech demo: New lighting tech called Lumen, a neat particle system that can mimic the behavior of bat swarms and roaches, the Chaos physics system, and ambisonics rendering (360 degree surround sound). All of this will play nice with Nvidia's RTX ray tracing, I'm told, though there are no specific details on that or what kind of performance Nvidia's DLSS can potentially bring to UE5 games.

RTX will accelerate their Lumen GI tech :blessed: 

3 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

lol

RTX will accelerate their Lumen GI tech :blessed: 

Yeah when they were reflecting light in that dark temple section that could definitely be enhanced by the RTX. 

I have to say that building a computer in the Fall of 2020 is going to be the optimal time.

We have both AMD and Intel coming out and trying to deliver powerful CPUs up and down their lineup. The more nVidia is concerned about the features and pricing of AMD and their RDNA2 graphics cards, the more competitive they will be. And we're on the cusp of ridiculously fast NVMe storage drives.

I timed it perfectly. Now the only thing I need to start shopping is for a gaming monitor, or quite possibly thinking about doing PC gaming on a serious 4K television that is fully loaded with all the cutting edge features.