Edge magazine reviews (May)

From Era.

Bleeding Edge :lul:

Streets of Rage 4:smoke:

Going to need some extra butter and syrup this month for all these flops. Sheesh.

Final Fantasy VII Remake - 7
Doom Eternal - 9
Resident Evil 3 - 6
Gears Tactics - 7
XCOM: Chimera Squad - 6
Nioh 2 - 7
Ori And The Will Of The Wisps - 7
Paper Beast - 8
Call Of Duty : Warzone - 8
Bleeding Edge - 5
Streets Of Rage 4 - 8
The Room VR : A Dark Matter - 8
In Other Waters - 7

some of the worst scores i've ver seen.

Final Fantasy VII Remake - 10
Doom Eternal - 5
Resident Evil 3 - 9
Gears Tactics - 0
XCOM: Chimera Squad - 0
Nioh 2 - 9
Ori And The Will Of The Wisps - 0
Paper Beast - 0
Call Of Duty : Warzone - 9
Bleeding Edge - 0.0
Streets Of Rage 4 - 6
The Room VR : A Dark Matter - 0
In Other Waters - 0

fixed

• Haha 1
  • Ben 1

I agree with all those scores. Sounds about right. Except FF7R is more of a 8 than a 7.

Lol PSVR games shitting on Xbox premiere first party games. lmao

I think the FF VII score is right on the money, that's what I would give the game.

Too much game padding especially in the second half of the game. Side content is generic and there's barely any end-game content. Level design can get really simple and very linear, and some areas drag on for far too long.

1 hour ago, Sabo said:

I think the FF VII score is right on the money, that's what I would give the game.

Too much game padding especially in the second half of the game. Side content is generic and there's barely any end-game content. Level design can get really simple and very linear, and some areas drag on for far too long.

The level design is the worst thing about the whole game, a bunch of small corridors, with constant loading times hidden by stupid actions. That and the changes to the story.

But the padding was acceptable, the combat is good so its fine, I didnt mind getting more combat and gameplay.

Its not a horrible game, 8 sounds right to me.

10 is a joke though.

Padding was acceptable? The game could remove Chapter 12, 13 and the entire Hojo nonsense in 17 and the quality of the game would improve considerably. That's just the padding in 3 Chapters, there's unnecessary padding all over the place.

The combat is okay. I wouldn't say its good. Its a gimped XIII combat system and unlike the majority of the people here, I've played all the games in the XIII series. I've seen what this combat system is like when its fully fleshed out and its much better than this. 

Not to mention the combat in VII is actually surprisingly sparse. Encounters are pretty set and limited. The majority of the fights in the game are against Normal mob enemies and they are too easy and over with in like 20 seconds because everything melts so fast. You don't even get to take advantage of the stagger system because normal enemies are basically dead by the time they are staggered.

The only time I found the combat to be enjoyable was against the Bosses because its the only time you can really play with all of the mechanics.

1 minute ago, Sabo said:

Padding was acceptable? The game could remove Chapter 12, 13 and the entire Hojo nonsense in 17 and the quality of the game would improve considerably. That's just the padding in 3 Chapters, there's unnecessary padding all over the place.

The combat is okay. I wouldn't say its good. Its a gimped XIII combat system and unlike the majority of the people here, I've played all the games in the XIII series. I've seen what this combat system is like when its fully fleshed out and its much better than this. 

Not to mention the combat in VII is actually surprisingly sparse. Encounters are pretty set and limited. The majority of the fights in the game are against Normal mob enemies and they are too easy and over with in like 20 seconds because everything melts so fast. You don't even get to take advantage of the stagger system because normal enemies are basically dead by the time they are staggered.

The only time I found the combat to be enjoyable was against the Bosses because its the only time you can really play with all of the mechanics.

By padding I meant mostly the sidequests. New cutscenes isnt exactly what Id called padding, its substantial new content, unfortunately its not all good. The game is at its best when it follows the original story.

I dont see how its like XIII except how you stagger enemies. I think the combat is fine, it works well, I like to pause and give commands, despite some sloppiness of the core gameplay, its still pretty decent. And boss fights are satisfying. Better than most action RPGs similar to it I find.

59 minutes ago, Ramza said:

The level design is the worst thing about the whole game, a bunch of small corridors, with constant loading times hidden by stupid actions. That and the changes to the story.

But the padding was acceptable, the combat is good so its fine, I didnt mind getting more combat and gameplay.

Its not a horrible game, 8 sounds right to me.

10 is a joke though.

Eh I kinda feel the opposite I guess. The linear level design wasn’t offensive to me. Maybe I expected it, but the Midgar section in FF7 was every bit as linear, I dunno how you ditch that while keeping the story mostly faithful (the main plot points at least). I do agree on the loading times but at the same time these are old and underpowered  consoles. 

to me the side quests were just awful. Some of the worst side quests in a game. Not to mention just really out of place considering what you’re stopping to do relative to the magnitude of the main story points. Like yeah let’s just hold off rescuing Aerith while we round up some dudes chocobos. To be fair I guess that’s sidequests in most games, then again I usually skip those too. 

5 minutes ago, Casual said:

Eh I kinda feel the opposite I guess. The linear level design wasn’t offensive to me. Maybe I expected it, but the Midgar section in FF7 was every bit as linear, I dunno how you ditch that while keeping the story mostly faithful (the main plot points at least). I do agree on the loading times but at the same time these are old and underpowered  consoles. 

to me the side quests were just awful. Some of the worst side quests in a game. Not to mention just really out of place considering what you’re stopping to do relative to the magnitude of the main story points. Like yeah let’s just hold off rescuing Aerith while we round up some dudes chocobos. To be fair I guess that’s sidequests in most games, then again I usually skip those too. 

Its not that its linear, its that its claustrophobic, poorly designed and you pass underneath something to mask loading times way too often.

The sidequests were generic as fuck but it usually leads to slight backtracking and a few fights. Nothing too annoying. Some of the minigames sucked though, the one at the gym I couldnt stand.

1 hour ago, Ramza said:

By padding I meant mostly the sidequests. New cutscenes isnt exactly what Id called padding, its substantial new content, unfortunately its not all good. The game is at its best when it follows the original story.

I dont see how its like XIII except how you stagger enemies. I think the combat is fine, it works well, I like to pause and give commands, despite some sloppiness of the core gameplay, its still pretty decent. And boss fights are satisfying. Better than most action RPGs similar to it I find.

Having multiple ATB bars and spending ATB to do commands is straight out of XIII. The importance of elemental weaknesses and the way status effects work is straight out of XIII. Staggering is not the only thing VIIR is borrowing... LOL, the similarities to XIII's combat is everywhere. I've played the XIII series, you clearly haven't if Staggering is the only thing you noticed.

11 hours ago, Sabo said:

Having multiple ATB bars and spending ATB to do commands is straight out of XIII. The importance of elemental weaknesses and the way status effects work is straight out of XIII. Staggering is not the only thing VIIR is borrowing... LOL, the similarities to XIII's combat is everywhere. I've played the XIII series, you clearly haven't if Staggering is the only thing you noticed.

I only played the first FFXIII and it was garbage, and I have no intention to play the others. I hated the combat as it was a simple matter of stacking attacks and staggering enemies. it was a passive and boring combat system. 

There are similarities sure, but it wasnt even a proper action RPG, forget about manual attack, dodging, blocking. 

Regardless I dont see the point, FF7R gameplay is better than XIII. Hell its a better game in every way, lol at talking about XIII of all things. What a garbage game.

8 hours ago, Ramza said:

I only played the first FFXIII and it was garbage, and I have no intention to play the others. I hated the combat as it was a simple matter of stacking attacks and staggering enemies. it was a passive and boring combat system. 

There are similarities sure, but it wasnt even a proper action RPG, forget about manual attack, dodging, blocking. 

Regardless I dont see the point, FF7R gameplay is better than XIII. Hell its a better game in every way, lol at talking about XIII of all things. What a garbage game.

I was talking about the XIII SERIES. You haven't played them so you don't know what you're talking about.

We're done here.

Just now, Sabo said:

I was talking about the XIII SERIES. You haven't played them so you don't know what you're talking about.

We're done here.

What a great series, huh. FF7R has nothing on those bad boys.

Just now, Ramza said:

What a great series, huh. FF7R has nothing on those bad boys.

XIII sucked. XIII-2 was alright. LR was great. 

I was simply talking about the combat systems and how VIIR is a gimped version of the XIII series because it IS a gimped version.

Why you're trying to argue against this point when you haven't even played the games is moronic but whatever.

Enjoy jumping through those hoops.

Just now, Sabo said:

XIII sucked. XIII-2 was alright. LR was great. 

I was simply talking about the combat systems and how VIIR is a gimped version of the XIII series because it IS a gimped version.

Why you're trying to argue against this point when you haven't even played the games is moronic but whatever.

Enjoy jumping through those hoops.

I dropped the argument. I mean I only played the demo for XIII-2 and LR, so I wouldnt go there.

I hate everything related to XIII. I couldnt care less tbh.