Sony's SSD spiel is a joke confirmed by a Chinese Epic engineer

44 minutes ago, DynamiteCop said:

You're stupid kid, it has nothing to do with the capability of the hardware, it has to do with the fact that it's not even remotely being tapped because the requirement for on the fly asset streaming is not as demanding as it's been made out to be.. There's only so far you can see, there's only so much that can be put into a scene because IT ALL HAS TO BE RENDERED....

Sony's SSD was a disastrous waste of money which kneecapped the rest of their system. God you're fucking stupid, stick to your gay little portable toys. 

Wait you think it only has to do with how far you can see? :lawl:

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You're telling him the peak he created is BS (he didn't create a peak)..... meanwhile your entire argument is built around a peak you made up in your head 

I get the impression when DeanoCuck starts posting about sophisticated computer hardware and specs, he actually has no idea what the fuck he is talking about. 

3 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

Wait you think it only has to do with how far you can see? :lawl:

You and jerry are the most illiterate twats on the planet...

"There's only so far you can see, there's only so much that can be put into a scene because IT ALL HAS TO BE RENDERED...."

This tech demo was definitely a showcase of the PS5's SSD tech.  You've got to realize that what was shown here was EXCESSIVE.  8K textures will not be needed in games.  That was purely a "flex" of the power of Sony's SSD arch.  Those are film quality assets.  Devs making games will like design textures in 4K.  4K textures would absolutely look visually indistinguishable while drastically lowering the footprint.. allowing for even more geometry, or faster performance.  Remember that using actual geometry will create much of that detail that textures (and normal maps) would have been used to create before.

The fact is that Sweeney isn't lying about what he's saying... he's being very smart about it and it's VERY obvious that they have a deal with Sony to market UE5 with PS5 and speak up the SSD.  There's nothing wrong with that.. because he's still telling the truth.  This is just the very TIP of what's going to be possible on next gen consoles.  This demo was a demonstration of NVMe tech... vs HDD tech from last gen.  It's not mean to compare between Xbox Series X, PS5, and a high end PC with NVMe.  Of course PC and Series X can run this demo.  It wasn't made to show the absolute max performance of PS5's SSD lmao... this is like a "hey look, we're using massive textures, billions of polys, and flying through a super detailed environment really fast... your current gen consoles aren't doing this shit at this quality EVER".. type thing.  Real game devs will be much smarter about how they utilize resources.  So I expect a lot of people to be shocked when they find that high end AAA games will look even better than this.

There's caveats atm too.  Nanite only works (currently) for static and dynamic geometry... not skinned or deformable geometry.. like characters or things like that.  It's good for these types of environments... but isn't going to work for everything.  In those cases, the game will have to resort to typical raster and LODs for geometry.

You can bet other studios will have their own engines designed around things that work for the games they want to create.  We're literally just seeing the beginning.

19 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

This tech demo was definitely a showcase of the PS5's SSD tech.  You've got to realize that what was shown here was EXCESSIVE.  8K textures will not be needed in games.  That was purely a "flex" of the power of Sony's SSD arch.  Those are film quality assets.  Devs making games will like design textures in 4K.  4K textures would absolutely look visually indistinguishable while drastically lowering the footprint.. allowing for even more geometry, or faster performance.  Remember that using actual geometry will create much of that detail that textures (and normal maps) would have been used to create before.

The fact is that Sweeney isn't lying about what he's saying... he's being very smart about it and it's VERY obvious that they have a deal with Sony to market UE5 with PS5 and speak up the SSD.  There's nothing wrong with that.. because he's still telling the truth.  This is just the very TIP of what's going to be possible on next gen consoles.  This demo was a demonstration of NVMe tech... vs HDD tech from last gen.  It's not mean to compare between Xbox Series X, PS5, and a high end PC with NVMe.  Of course PC and Series X can run this demo.  It wasn't made to show the absolute max performance of PS5's SSD lmao... this is like a "hey look, we're using massive textures, billions of polys, and flying through a super detailed environment really fast... your current gen consoles aren't doing this shit at this quality EVER".. type thing.  Real game devs will be much smarter about how they utilize resources.  So I expect a lot of people to be shocked when they find that high end AAA games will look even better than this.

There's caveats atm too.  Nanite only works (currently) for static and dynamic geometry... not skinned or deformable geometry.. like characters or things like that.  It's good for these types of environments... but isn't going to work for everything.  In those cases, the game will have to resort to typical raster and LODs for geometry.

You can bet other studios will have their own engines designed around things that work for the games they want to create.  We're literally just seeing the beginning.

All Sweeney was doing was speaking to the crowd in which he was parsed, that's it. If he was talking for PC it would have been the same speech with some minor alterations, if he was talking for Series X it would have been the same thing. 

People are so caught up in the numbers out of context they're completely disregarding what they actually mean. 

Xbox One X I/O

|-----------|

Xbox Series X I/O

|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

That's how much more vast the Series X SSD I/O is and people want to front like they're going to hit some kind of wall, give me a break. Both systems I/O is insane, a multitude of times more capable than it would ever need to actually be, because you are going to hit bottlenecks in other ends of the system before this is close to even being tapped. That's why regardless of how impressive Sony's offering is, I find it to be a mind boggling waste of money. Microsoft already said that with their system 100GB of game data is INSTANTLY accessible, what the fuck else do you need?

That's something the Sony nutjobs and stupid sheep just don't get, it doesn't matter how capable your I/O is, anything you're loading in has to be rendered. The GPU is going to be the bottleneck in all of this, you can saturate the SSD and RAM to its brim with what you're trying to force into the scene but if the GPU can't handle it you're completely kneecapped, and that's the reality.  

Sony put in this ridiculously fast SSD for asset streaming but coupled it to a weak GPU, it's a completely nonsensical pairing. 

Edited by DynamiteCop

I get the impression when DeanoCuck starts posting about sophisticated computer hardware and specs, he actually has no idea what the fuck he is talking about. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, Cell said:

I get the impression you're so fucking stupid you can't even engage these conversations so you make lazy dumbass posts like this which add nothing. 

• Upvote 2
17 minutes ago, DynamiteCop said:

Sony put in this ridiculously fast SSD for asset streaming but coupled it to a weak GPU, it's a completely nonsensical pairing. 

The one thing I will say about this point is that there's always mid gen refresh options to improve the compute performance.  So having a faster SSD solution will help expand the longevity of the PS5 as a platform (PS5/PRO)

On the Xbox side... they absolutely COULD improve their SSD performance for mid gen as well though (people seem to think they cant)...  In MS' case though, what will happen is that games designed for the mid gen refresh and onwards, would need to be paired back on the Series X and lower some settings to levels which could stream as fast as the game requires them to.  Whereas on the PS5 and PRO they could keep the same visual settings but run at a lower performance/resolution on the OG PS5.

Edited by Remij_

Oh one thing to note too.. is that the Chinese engineer said that the demo was running at 40fps in the editor with uncooked assets... Which means that actual performance would be even faster on that Laptop if the demo was actually compiled.

That's crazy. Nvidia RTX. :whew:  Maybe Jensen wasn't lying when he said that their Laptop GPU was faster than a PS5 B) 

XWZSu9ZTzKGDadjLZQM833.jpg

Edited by Remij_
1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

The one thing I will say about this point is that there's always mid gen refresh options to improve the compute performance.  So having a faster SSD solution will help expand the longevity of the PS5 as a platform (PS5/PRO)

On the Xbox side... they absolutely COULD improve their SSD performance for next gen as well though (people seem to think they cant)...  In MS' case though, what will happen is that games designed for the mid gen refresh and onwards, would need to be paired back on the Series X and lower some settings to levels which could stream as fast as the game requires them to.

This right here is the problem though, the idea of a mid-gen refresh from the onset without the technological reasoning for it to exist. The ones we got this generation were as a result of new display technology coming into the fray and adoption hitting viable levels where it was needed. 8K won't be in the position 4K was for those systems for at least a decade, even now 4K is still a largely untapped medium. 

Even with that said the SSD still won't be the problem in the event this illogically comes to pass again, they're both overengineered, Sony just went nuts with theirs. 

2 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Oh one thing to note too.. is that the Chinese engineer said that the demo was running at 40fps in the editor with uncooked assets... Which means that actual performance would be even faster on that Laptop if the demo was actually compiled.

That's crazy. Nvidia RTX. :whew:  Maybe Jensen wasn't lying when he said that their Laptop GPU was faster than a PS5 B) 

XWZSu9ZTzKGDadjLZQM833.jpg

I like how they noted next gen "console" lol, it's clear as to which system they were talking about haha.

1 minute ago, DynamiteCop said:

This right here is the problem though, the idea of a mid-gen refresh from the onset without the technological reasoning for it to exist. The ones we got this generation were as a result of new display technology coming into the fray and adoption hitting viable levels where it was needed. 8K won't be in the position 4K was for those systems for at least a decade, even now 4K is still a largely untapped medium. 

Even with that said the SSD still won't be the problem in the event this illogically comes to pass again, they're both overengineered, Sony just went nuts with theirs. 

I absolutely agree and I've said the same thing before... a LONG time ago.

But in truth, there is a technological reason for them to exist now.  Faster performance is one... but also RT acceleration.  RT acceleration will give Sony/MS a marketing angle to push better visuals and performance for an upcoming refresh.

That's my opinion though.

5 hours ago, Delita said:

Sony always does this every gen. They pay off developers before their console releases to overhype one aspect of their new console that’s still unreleased and they talk about it as if it’s a game changer while using as many hyperbolic buzz words as possible. With ps3 it was da cell processor, with ps2 it was the emotion engine, now it’s this garbage ssd nonsense. And then when the console comes out and after a year or 2 none of that ever amounts to shit.

But faggots never learn and they continuously fall in line and believe all this nonsense.

Cows will eat that shit up.

TCHBFR

5 hours ago, -GD- said:

Yeah, because that 6 tf one x saved msoft. Oh wait.. 

Xbox One X was already dead because of MS dumb dev decisions.

Had nothing to do with over-engineering.

Now, PS5 is more akin to Xbox One X regarding unneeded over-engineered specs.

That would be like fucking yourself but you Cubans love that shit.

27 minutes ago, Cell said:

he likes to read wikipedia pages and other sources of hardware discussion and recites them without knowing what any of it means like aza

• Geese 1