Sony's SSD spiel is a joke confirmed by a Chinese Epic engineer

The average IQ: 

|-------------------|

Dyno's IQ:

||

Kokojizz's IQ:

|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You're telling him the peak he created is BS (he didn't create a peak)..... meanwhile your entire argument is built around a peak you made up in your head 

I get the impression when DeanoCuck starts posting about sophisticated computer hardware and specs, he actually has no idea what the fuck he is talking about. 

3 minutes ago, JONBpc said:

linus tech tips owned tim sweeny by showing pc ssds that are out now,  and much faster than ps5s ssds

Haven't you seen DumboCuck's graph Jon? PS5's SSD is to fast to be used efficiently so what good are these even faster SSD's going to do? 

:jordan3:

Edited by Cell
  • Haha 1
Just now, Cell said:

Haven't you seen DumboCuck's graph Jon? PS5's SSD is to fast to be used efficiently so what good are these faster SSD's going to do? 

This is actually accurate, the truth is a 500MB/s versus a 3,500MB/s+ SSD functions about the same in terms of loading speed.

Like I said you're not educated on these things, best to stop talking. 

Just now, DynamiteCop said:

This is actually accurate, the truth is a 500MB/s versus a 3,500MB/s+ SSD functions about the same in terms of loading speed.

Like I said you're not educated on these things, best to stop talking. 

Neither are you, you told me so yourself. :mj:

9 minutes ago, Cell said:

Haven't you seen DumboCuck's graph Jon? PS5's SSD is to fast to be used efficiently so what good are these even faster SSD's going to do? 

Depends on what the cpu can handle 

3 minutes ago, DynamiteCop said:

You don't even understand what education is. You continually make it a point to prove how dumb you are. 

Information you recycle from Chinese livestreams and wikipedia:

|-------------------|

An actual education:

|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remind me, which one are you? :mjpls:

1 minute ago, Cell said:

Information you recycle from Chinese livestreams and wikipedia:

|-------------------|

An actual education:

Remind me, which one are you? :mjpls:

You need to get the hell out of here, you're a total moron. Like I said, you need to know your place. You truly don't know what you're talking about.

Look at the difference in loading between a 550MB/s SSD versus a 3,400MB/s M.2 drive...

Did you order that Asian sx doll after? seems to me like you need to let off some steam. 

3 minutes ago, DynamiteCop said:

You need to get the hell out of here, you're a total moron. Like I said, you need to know your place. You truly don't know what you're talking about.

Look at the difference in loading between a 550MB/s SSD versus a 3,400MB/s M.2 drive...

So far I have not weighed in on the technical details, just baited the shit out of you because you seem to me like a complete pretender. 

Tell you what though, since you're desperate to talk about things you don't understand, answer me this:

You're trying to peddle this bullshit idea that the PS5 SSD is too fast. OK. For how long, 6 months into the gen? Two years into the gen? The whole gen? That's going to be about 8 years from now. Are you telling me NO ONE is going to optimize this technology efficiently and make the most out of for the whole gen? Secondly, what is your real basis for making this claim? Do you think the communication interface is a bottleneck? Explain yourself. 

I'll tell you what I think, which is why I laugh at these idiot threads where people try and claim a percentage difference in CPU or GPU or memory bandwidth is going to be a hammer-blow for one console over the other. Its not. The VAST majority of games that will come out on these consoles are going to look almost identical to the average consumer. It really does not matter that clowns like you are going to be quoting DF videos in two years from now like it matters. It doesn't. The difference between the PS5 and the XSX is going to be negligible. One may look slightly better than the other (happens every gen), but both will have 'next' gen level graphics. And in reality, its going to come down to consumer confidence in the brand, and games, like it does every gen. 

41 minutes ago, Cell said:

Did you order that Asian sx doll after? seems to me like you need to let off some steam. 

So far I have not weighed in on the technical details, just baited the shit out of you because you seem to me like a complete pretender. 

Tell you what though, since you're desperate to talk about things you don't understand, answer me this:

You're trying to peddle this bullshit idea that the PS5 SSD is too fast. OK. For how long, 6 months into the gen? Two years into the gen? The whole gen? That's going to be about 8 years from now. Are you telling me NO ONE is going to optimize this technology efficiently and make the most out of for the whole gen? Secondly, what is your real basis for making this claim? Do you think the communication interface is a bottleneck? Explain yourself. 

I'll tell you what I think, which is why I laugh at these idiot threads where people try and claim a percentage difference in CPU or GPU or memory bandwidth is going to be a hammer-blow for one console over the other. Its not. The VAST majority of games that will come out on these consoles are going to look almost identical to the average consumer. It really does not matter that clowns like you are going to be quoting DF videos in two years from now like it matters. It doesn't. The difference between the PS5 and the XSX is going to be negligible. One may look slightly better than the other (happens every gen), but both will have 'next' gen level graphics. And in reality, its going to come down to consumer confidence in the brand, and games, like it does every gen. 

See this is where you fucked up, you're taking some idiotic and insecure fanboy take on this whole matter and it's not even about that.

It has nothing to do with optimization or the 'speed' of the drive, and it has everything to do with the scale and amount of assets streamed that could possibly be rendered by the GPU. You don't seem to understand the connection from what can be loaded into a scene versus how it relates to what the GPU can actually handle in terms of a rendering workload. The PS5's SSD is absolutely capable of streaming in more assets in a broader environment, but the GPU coupled with this SSD is not capable of handling it. 

I'm not saying Sony's SSD is worthless, but more that they overengineered this aspect of their system to account for capability that will never present itself putting themselves into the position where their GPU will bottleneck long before the usefulness of their drive can ever show itself. Bear in mind I'm not even suggesting Microsoft's GPU would be enough to handle this because it absolutely wouldn't, you'd need a massively more powerful GPU to see the potential of the asset streaming capability of this SSD.

That's the problem, Microsoft recognized this bottleneck and for whatever reason Sony did not, it's puzzling. The capability for them to engineer or put a higher bandwidth drive in their system was there, they've existed for a longer time than we've even hypothesized the existence of these systems. Sony wasted an incredible amount of money on a device that can never even remotely achieve the potential of its specifications because it's hamstringed to the rendering pipeline.

Even for Microsoft's system their SSD solution is overengineered, these speeds and bandwidth are simply not a necessity. However with that said they dialed it back to a level they knew would never cause a bottleneck in the SSD, what they have is more than enough to account for what the GPU could ever render, and they did this in order to divert cost into the GPU, CPU and RAM which was the right decision to make. 

Sony fucked up, their SSD is lopsided and tied to a system that can't actually make proper use of it. 

Edited by DynamiteCop
18 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

Bro was literally making counter points against his own arguments :mj:

No I wasn't, this seems to be just your shitty schtick going full force again because you're either too stupid to understand what people are saying or you mean to intentionally twist what they're saying. 

You're one of the dumbest people on this board and basically your only go to is to misinterpret what others are saying and start some kind of dumb tangent where you put out the illusion like they're contradicting themselves. You do this all the time, it's the most cancerous and annoying shit show posting imaginable. 

12 minutes ago, DynamiteCop said:

No I wasn't, this seems to be just your shitty schtick going full force again because you're either too stupid to understand what people are saying or you mean to intentionally twist what they're saying. 

You're one of the dumbest people on this board and basically your only go to is to misinterpret what others are saying and start some kind of dumb tangent where you put out the illusion like they're contradicting themselves. You do this all the time, it's the most cancerous and annoying shit show posting imaginable. 

16 hours ago, DynamiteCop said:

I'm not saying we've reached the peak, I'm saying what you believe this peak to be is hilariously bullshit. 

and yet you pulled what you think is the peak out your ass......

don't be mad at me... be mad yourself for countering your own points :lawl:

1 minute ago, Goukosan said:

and yet you pulled what you think is the peak out your ass......

don't be mad at me... be mad yourself for countering your own points :lawl:

You're still too stupid to understand that this theoretical 'peak' I'm dismissing relates to surpassing anything the Series X SSD could handle.

Braindead sheep... 

39 minutes ago, DynamiteCop said:

See this is where you fucked up, you're taking some idiotic and insecure fanboy take on this whole matter and it's not even about that.

It has nothing to do with optimization or the 'speed' of the drive, and it has everything to do with the scale and amount of assets streamed that could possibly be rendered by the GPU. You don't seem to understand the connection from what can be loaded into a scene versus how it relates to what the GPU can actually handle in terms of a rendering workload. The PS5's SSD is absolutely capable of streaming in more assets in a broader environment, but the GPU coupled with this SSD is not capable of handling it. 

I'm not saying Sony's SSD is worthless, but more that they overengineered this aspect of their system to account for capability that will never present itself putting themselves into the position where their GPU will bottleneck long before the usefulness of their drive can ever show itself. Bear in mind I'm not even suggesting Microsoft's GPU would be enough to handle this because it absolutely wouldn't, you'd need a massively more powerful GPU to see the potential of the asset streaming capability of this SSD.

That's the problem, Microsoft recognized this bottleneck and for whatever reason Sony did not, it's puzzling. The capability for them to engineer or put a higher bandwidth drive in their system was there, they've existed for a longer time than we've even hypothesized the existence of these systems. Sony wasted an incredible amount of money on a device that can never even remotely achieve the potential of its specifications because it's hamstringed to the rendering pipeline.

Even for Microsoft's system their SSD solution is overengineered, these speeds and bandwidth are simply not a necessity. However with that said they dialed it back to a level they knew would never cause a bottleneck in the SSD, what they have is more than enough to account for what the GPU could ever render, and they did this in order to divert cost into the GPU, CPU and RAM which was the right decision to make. 

Sony fucked up, their SSD is lopsided and tied to a system that can't actually make proper use of it. 

My problem with what you're saying is you have no relative benchmark. You're trying to peddle this idea that the PS5 GPU can't render as fast as the SSD can supply data, OK, but to what degree? Are you saying the PS5 GPU will only utilize half the data supplied to it? More? Less? 

This is why I think you're a pretender. If you look beneath the rage in your posts (telling goukosan to die, WTF :D), you're actually making a very broad statement, which I don't buy into. How do you even know the GPU can't compute what the SSD can supply? Is this a hunch? Some Chinese livestream videos you've watched? I'll accept that Mark Cerny is not exactly an unbias source to believe, but in the initial reveal of the PS5 specs he mentioned he'd worked closely with devs for several years to build the PS5 hardware, and an SSD was the most requested component. You're trying to say he and the engineers at Sony have completely fucked up on this SSD and put something in which is way over engineered? Why the hell am I going to believe you? 

20 minutes ago, DynamiteCop said:

You're still too stupid to understand that this theoretical 'peak' I'm dismissing relates to surpassing anything the Series X SSD could handle.

Braindead sheep... 

No we get it.  You think we won't need a faster SSD until Xbox gets one.   You also think this peak is static anr won't increase over time.  Yes we know.... you're retarded :danylol: 

22 minutes ago, Cell said:

This is why I think you're a pretender. If you look beneath the rage in your posts (telling goukosan to die, WTF :D)

His precious Xbox has a component that's worse the competition.   Death to all infidels :lupe:

36 minutes ago, Cell said:

My problem with what you're saying is you have no relative benchmark. You're trying to peddle this idea that the PS5 GPU can't render as fast as the SSD can supply data, OK, but to what degree? Are you saying the PS5 GPU will only utilize half the data supplied to it? More? Less? 

This is why I think you're a pretender. If you look beneath the rage in your posts (telling goukosan to die, WTF :D), you're actually making a very broad statement, which I don't buy into. How do you even know the GPU can't compute what the SSD can supply? Is this a hunch? Some Chinese livestream videos you've watched? I'll accept that Mark Cerny is not exactly an unbias source to believe, but in the initial reveal of the PS5 specs he mentioned he'd worked closely with devs for several years to build the PS5 hardware, and an SSD was the most requested component. You're trying to say he and the engineers at Sony have completely fucked up on this SSD and put something in which is way over engineered? Why the hell am I going to believe you? 

I'll start here.

You keep dismissing this livestream, do you not understand that those people who were discussing this were Unreal Engine engineers? Literally the people working on this engine, they work for Epic. This is part of Epic's Fast Track for Unreal Engine development which is a multinational effort to educate University students about the industry, engine and its development. These are not some random Chinese people streaming just hypothesizing the function of the engine, these are employees and developers at Epic.

With that said, what they stated is what I've suspected and said since day one, that these datastreams are much more minimalistic than people understand, MB/s and not GB/s, yet. We've been feeding game data to the RAM from 40-60 MB/s drives this generation, drives which are factors of one hundred times slower than what is coming this next-generation, and we're only seeing an increase in CPU function of roughly 4x, we're only seeing a GPU increase of 6-7x, we're only seeing a doubling in total memory and a little more than a doubling in memory bandwidth. 

All these drives are doing is parsing more data into themselves which can be delivered to the memory more effectively and with less obstruction. You can get more to the memory and in lesser time, but what you're delivering still has to be manageable by the rendering pipeline. This all helps to produce a more stable game state which requires less data swapping, but you're still limited by the speed and capacity of the memory, and you're still limited by the GPU. 

Do you remember Ryse? They sacrificed polygonal count on characters and resolution to create an environment without LoD's, this wasn't a data streaming issue, this was a GPU issue. The GPU couldn't handle the polygonal count, resolution plus no LoD's at the same time. The game was 1080p with LoD's and the higher polygonal count, they sacrificed resolution and some character detail to ensure image stability and detail in the environments at all times and at all scales. 

That's the same issue which will come up again, we'll never be in a position where these SSD's are able to supply enough visual data to a scene without hitting a brick wall in rendering. Getting an SSD into these systems was of vital importance but their capability will never be shown because as stated numerous times anything you put into a scene must be able to be rendered by the GPU. We're not at that point in computational power to account for this kind of data transfer to render, you'd need much more RAM and a GPU a multiplier of times more powerful to get the full usefulness out of these devices. 

Edited by DynamiteCop