Why did Sunset Overdrive and Quantum Break tank saleswise?

Spiderman to some extent borrows heavily from Sunset Overdrive in its open world gameplay, Spiderman is really an open world Tony Hawk game in disguise. Sunset struggled to hit a million.

Quantum Break flopped, didnt even do 200k in a month at the NPD. Control with a smaller budget seems to have pushed more impressive numbers, yeah I know it's on three platforms but still. Sub 200k is a joke.

That also kinda bring the question of why Titanfall wasn't the new Halo/Gears at the start of the gen.

Some baffling stuff. It's like the games and potential was there.

Edited by Team 2019

Sunset overdrive - everyone i knew who had an xbox told me at the time that the main character and artstyle were gay. I asked people to DL it, for free when they gave it away on XBL and was still told it was gay and they didn't even want it for free.

the game's artstyle just didn't match what xbox customers like. something i've been saying for years. they don't want colorful, gay, over-the top kiddy games or cartoon art. they want real mature guns blazing ADULT games. and MS just refuses to invest in the budget to do so.

Quantum Break-

Sterile 5-6 hour TPS. with a C-rate celebrity protag who could never sell a game.

The kid who stars in it was on a gay Canadian TV show called animorphs when we were kids. if you even remembered who he was, you thought he was a faggot.

the game was decent but nothing special, had no replay value, no cover mechanics, and was a step behind all the other big TPS. Story sucked too, and the TV show was boring as hell. Plus all the TV TV TV backlash doomed the game from the start. Alan Wake 2 was the right move, but remedy and MS were too stupid. Alan Wake 2 could have been an Uncharted 2 moment for the studio.

Sunset owned . Of course a goofy punk rock game won't sell like Spiderman . And the gameplay isn't even close .

Quantum was boring to me.  The game was boring and was part of the tv TV TV phase Ms went thru that nobody wanted . Hey play this game and watch TV show in between . Bad idea 

Out of those only sunset would fare somewhat better on ps4 because majority of Insomniac's fanbase is on playstation. The other 2 would likely sell similar. Quantum have nothing special to stand out from the crowd of TPS games and the whole tv show tie in was executed poorly. Titanfall was as close to an exclusive killer app as it gets for MS but people still like their CODs I guess.

Xbox

Spider-Man was a fully fledged AAA game. Sunset Overdrive felt like a tech demo.

Quantum flop looked like trash from the start and was coming from a shit developer

but again, xbox

16 hours ago, JONBpc said:

Sunset owned . Of course a goofy punk rock game won't sell like Spiderman . And the gameplay isn't even close .

Quantum was boring to me.  The game was boring and was part of the tv TV TV phase Ms went thru that nobody wanted . Hey play this game and watch TV show in between . Bad idea 

Jen you're doing our job for us. :jordan3: