It appears that Microsoft may have indeed bought Sega

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Nishikawa-san said the news will "rile up the games industry" and that it's an exclusive scoop about a "game company that everyone loves"."   Definitely has nothing to do with Xbox then 

I love the way Aza tries to rationalize his predictions too     He said PS5's controller would split, but I'm wondering if he's come to his Dual Senses?  

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/1287702/SEGA-announcement-teased-rile-up-games-industry   It's happening. Cows prepare your anuses   What better way for MS to break

Posted Images

I love how pity-launching some 4 years late Yakuza games into gamepass is grounds for an acquisition to these abused and battered xbox fans. Like that was probably the best, most exciting news they got all gen.

Phil feeds you the lint out of his pockets. Your games are made with the change he finds in his couch cushions. Double-fine, InXile, and undead labs probably sold to Microsoft for the price of a hot meal. :geese: THEY WERE STARVING! and they were starving BECAUSE THEY MAKE SHIT GAMES! 

And you think this company, THIS COMPANY is going to buy you something GOOD? LMFAO! :rofl: Delusions a-grandeur.

• Geese 1

so this big Sega announce is literally on the same day as PS5's big event.

hmm let's see, which console has

Persona

Catherine

Yakuza

Sakura Wars

Judgement

every sega game as a defacto exclusive

the home country of sega behind it

the same market/adult japanese games

LEMMINGS :geese: SONY is about to pull Insomniac 2.0 on your beggar asses

On 2020-05-28 at 7:07 AM, HolyAx said:

Sega owns a huge arcade business in Japan, theres no point in selling it to MS

That Arcade business started in America as SErvice GAmes.   It would complete the circle if some American brand ever acquires SEGA.   

But the way things look nowadays that's not going to happen at all.   

Microsoft should have bought SEGA before they got absorbed by Sammy in the early 2000s.

Maybe the rumors are true?  Sega branded Xbox Series X/S in Japan?  Maybe "Sega Series S" only or something, smaller cube for Japanese gamers with 1440p and as a result MS gets exclusive SEGA games?  Maybe that's what "lockhart" has been all along?

I still don't buy it... but that would be pretty industry riling.

Edited by Remij_

If they throw a SEGA logo on an Xbox Series X or have some limited edition of it is it really going to make a difference? Probably not. People will still know its a Microsoft console when they turn it on.

Just now, lynux3 said:

If they throw a SEGA logo on an Xbox Series X or have some limited edition of it is it really going to make a difference? Probably not. People will still know its a Microsoft console when they turn it on.

Well, if they get some exclusive Japanese content for the SEGA branded console, it could.  I mean, the box being Sega branded would undoubtedly do better than being MS branded I think.

Like, having Sonic, Persona, Yakuza, and other SEGA franchises could make a dent. 

To be honest, it would be their best shot.  But yea, I'm still doubtful.

2 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

Software could be sega branded too .  Still doubt it would help much anyway 

I wouldn't be opposed to a SEGA branded Xbox, but this doesn't sound like something that will "rile up the industry". Seeing that this announcement is coming from a magazine my expectations are low. Either way, June 4th is going to be an interesting day.

Seems like a whole lotta effort for a whole lotta nothing. Out of all the rumours this one is the most ‘but why’. Makes no sense outside of a really weird way to try get a few more sales.

does the branding end at the logo or sticker on the box? Like Lynux says, you put it on then it’s just a regular series x? Weird af.

1 minute ago, lynux3 said:

I wouldn't be opposed to a SEGA branded Xbox, but this doesn't sound like something that will "rile up the industry". Seeing that this announcement is coming from a magazine my expectations are low. Either way, June 4th is going to be an interesting day.

It would definitely be MS' last hurrah in Japan.  If that didn't work, the dream is dead.  And yes, a Sega branded Xbox isn't going to be beating Nintendo or Sony in Japan.. but if it could at least make the console more approachable and establish a different image for MS in Japan, then it could help in the long run.

It's more about the games though.  A cheap enough console, with Persona games and other Sega games could do well enough.

2 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Seems like a whole lotta effort for a whole lotta nothing. Out of all the rumours this one is the most ‘but why’. Makes no sense outside of a really weird way to try get a few more sales.

does the branding end at the logo or sticker on the box? Like Lynux says, you put it on then it’s just a regular series x? Weird af.

They would obviously make it a SEGA branded UI and everything.  Dreamcast ran Windows CE.

Maybe SEGA gets some good deals in the west, as well as a chance to get in a bit on the hardware side again and MS gets SEGA exclusive games?

Anyway, it's probably nothing, but I think if there's any deal between Sega and MS, it's something along the lines of this rather than being bought or anything.

2 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

They would obviously make it a SEGA branded UI and everything.  Dreamcast ran Windows CE.

Maybe SEGA gets some good deals in the west, as well as a chance to get in a bit on the hardware side again and MS gets SEGA exclusive games?

Anyway, it's probably nothing, but I think if there's any deal between Sega and MS, it's something along the lines of this rather than being bought or anything.

It would be just such a strange situation and a hell of a lot of work and totally fragments it as nearly its own system, especially if it’s a completely different UI. I mean do you then change the Xbox Game Pass to Sega branding and everything else too. It just sounds so strange. 

The complete abandoning of the Xbox brand name in Japan would surely be a bigger loss than the extra sales they might get from ppl who someone don’t realise it’s an Xbox, or just get it for the branding. 

if MS wants Sega exclusive games surely there is much easier ways. 3rd party exclusive never cost a company their brand. 

it’s just a strange situation.

would be hella fascinating and an absolutely amazing item to have if it happened though lol 

4 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

It would be just such a strange situation and a hell of a lot of work and totally fragments it as nearly its own system, especially if it’s a completely different UI. I mean do you then change the Xbox Game Pass to Sega branding and everything else too. It just sounds so strange. 

The complete abandoning of the Xbox brand name in Japan would surely be a bigger loss than the extra sales they might get from ppl who someone don’t realise it’s an Xbox, or just get it for the branding. 

if MS wants Sega exclusive games surely there is much easier ways. 3rd party exclusive never cost a company their brand. 

it’s just a strange situation.

would be hella fascinating and an absolutely amazing item to have if it happened though lol 

The Xbox brand is worthless in Japan.  They wouldn't be losing anything imo.

It would be strange, but when I say the UI would be different, it wouldn't be like completely different... just Sega branded.  The general functions would be the same.  "Sega Series X, or S" sounds decent.  

Not sure why Sega would want to do it though... but maybe they have some idea about getting back into hardware?  Maybe MS is sweetening the pot for them, or maybe Sega has cloud gaming aspirations or something?

It would be fascinating though.

• Like 1

most likely its a SEGA branded Xbox Series S for Japan and a deal for Sega back catalog to be added to gamepass. 

This is MS last big effort to get into Japan.... if this doesn't work... that dream is dead.