Getting a new PC, recommend components ITT

So apparently the unofficial price drop for the Ryzen 7 3700X is at $275 everywhere (Walmart, Amazon, Newegg, B&H Photo and Video).

I don't know if they will drop the price any further if new Ryzen 7 models come out, or when that would be.

Microcenter has then for $260.  And even better for me, I can use my work account to buy the part tax free.

So, I don't know if I should jump on buying this 3700x now, or wait to see what happens next.

Microcenter also has a bundle-deal, where if you buy the 3700x and a Mobo, they also knock off another $20, but they don't have B550 mobos right now. Maybe a month from now they will.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm too old for aliemware design . That looks like something for children 

Ah I see, I'd rather go with a known brand than a new one. 

As I understand it, the PS5 is probably using PCIe 4.0 for SSD, but even then there's PCIe SSDs on the market right now, but they're still relatively slow.   Its the bandwith controller comp

1 hour ago, Twinblade said:

Are those things really all $200+? I don't think i've spent that much on a mobo before and I'd prefer something a bit cheaper.

Everything is overpriced right now.. and likely will be for months.

It's a mid range board.. nothing fancy.. but it has good VRMs which is important to me.. So I went for it.  You should really keep an eye on the 550 boards if you want something cheaper.  Catch them at release and you should be able to get them for MSRP before they are price hiked.

is a 650 watt PSU enough nowadays? Thats what my current PC has, and I feel like power usage/efficiency has been a focal point with new tech so I shouldn't have to go higher.

That should be fine.  If it its 80 plus Gold or higher would be even better.

Edited by The Mother Fucker
13 hours ago, Twinblade said:

is a 650 watt PSU enough nowadays? Thats what my current PC has, and I feel like power usage/efficiency has been a focal point with new tech so I shouldn't have to go higher.

650w SHOULD be fine.. but I was reading today that Nvidia's new GPUs might actually be quite power hungry because they are apparently massive.  So I dunno..

You should be good though.  Nothing stopping you from getting one in the future if its not sufficient.

BTW, I'm up and running.  Got windows installed and am currently updating and installing stuff. B) 

There isn't shit available on the PSU front either. Damn it.

I might have to just buy components little by little until I have everything, but I really don't like having stuff just lying around for potentially months, especially when better/cheaper versions could release at any moment.

38 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

There isn't shit available on the PSU front either. Damn it.

I might have to just buy components little by little until I have everything, but I really don't like having stuff just lying around for potentially months, especially when better/cheaper versions could release at any moment.

PSU's are not going to fall in price.

In fact, I might make a bet than RAM may actually rise up in price soon, there's a history of RAM prices fluctuating quickly.

A PC case isn't going to change in price very much, so if you see a good one on sale, then that will be a safe purchase.

Standard 2.5" SSD's should also be fine, right now.

Almost snapped up that white 360 AIO at $109 and a Thermaltake White TG case for $79.99 on Newegg, then remembered I already have a white NZXT S340 Elite with a 120 AIO for my Ryzen 5. 

Cancelled backed out of that. 

I developed quite the PC build addiction.     I don't need any more PCs.  

Edited by The Mother Fucker

Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 SSD is expected to come out and hit the online stores "within the next two months"

Its going to have sequential read speeds of 6.5 GB/s and write speeds of 5 GB/s

That's the SSD that I am going to target. Hopefully I can snag one up quickly, hopefully 1TB is under $200.

2 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 SSD is expected to come out and hit the online stores "within the next two months"

Its going to have sequential read speeds of 6.5 GB/s and write speeds of 5 GB/s

That's the SSD that I am going to target. Hopefully I can snag one up quickly, hopefully 1TB is under $200.

Is my assumption correct that what Sony touted as their PS5 graphical achievements being in part due to it's solid state controllers they created to achieve 9GB/s read speeds, that will allow them to program games completely different than traditional games that rely on slower storage controllers but fast CPU/GPU.  Is it true Microsoft have a similar tech for XSX in place, that they will also provide to Windows called DirectStorage, but probably won't be as fast as Sony's custom chip components?

24 minutes ago, The Mother Fucker said:

Is my assumption correct that what Sony touted as their PS5 graphical achievements being in part due to it's solid state controllers they created to achieve 9GB/s read speeds, that will allow them to program games completely different than traditional games that rely on slower storage controllers but fast CPU/GPU.  Is it true Microsoft have a similar tech for XSX in place, that they will also provide to Windows called DirectStorage, but probably won't be as fast as Sony's custom chip components?

As I understand it, the PS5 is probably using PCIe 4.0 for SSD, but even then there's PCIe SSDs on the market right now, but they're still relatively slow.

Its the bandwith controller components on these SSDs that will allow them to reach read speeds over 5 GB/s, and those components haven't hit the market yet. Samsung is one of them, and Phison manufactures the other controllers.

So Mark Cerny explains that they achieve 8,000-9,000 MB/s (or 8-9 GB/s) peak read speeds because that is compressed data. Raw data, the speed is 5.5 GB/s, almost exactly as these new PCIe 4.0 SSDs that will come out in the second half of this year.

• Upvote 1

I need to research a bit more, just so that I'm totally okay with the purchase.

But, I've been typing in "b550 motherboard" in amazon search bar these past few days, just to see if the MSI B550 mobos come back into stock.

But amazon had a listing for Gigabyte's X570 AORUS Elite motherboard for $199.99. And its to come into stock on June 26th.

So, if I don't the motherboard or if I happen to find one that's better suited for me, then I have almost two full weeks to cancel this order.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SVRZGMX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I mean, B550 mobos were expected to be at $180.....so why not pay $20 more for X570?

EDIT: There's a couple of things I may not be too excited about. It doesn't come with 2.5GB LAN, only a gigabit LAN, it doesn't come with a PCI-8x for a potential second video card, and it doesn't come with two M.2 slots.

Its not that I was going to buy a second video card or a second M.2 SSD, but I like knowing I have that ability to expand if I wanted to. I'll see keep on searching.

Edited by jehurey
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, jehurey said:

I need to research a bit more, just so that I'm totally okay with the purchase.

But, I've been typing in "b550 motherboard" in amazon search bar these past few days, just to see if the MSI B550 mobos come back into stock.

But amazon had a listing for Gigabyte's X570 AORUS Elite motherboard for $199.99. And its to come into stock on June 26th.

So, if I don't the motherboard or if I happen to find one that's better suited for me, then I have almost two full weeks to cancel this order.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SVRZGMX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I mean, B550 mobos were expected to be at $180.....so why not pay $20 more for X570?

It's the motherboard I have... and exactly what I said.  The 550s are coming in at very similar prices to the x570s, and after release, they will jump higher in price I bet.

Another thing to remember is that b550 only has PCIe4 from the CPU, the chipset uplink only supports Gen3, whereas on the x570 boards it supports Gen4.

53 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

It's the motherboard I have... and exactly what I said.  The 550s are coming in at very similar prices to the x570s, and after release, they will jump higher in price I bet.

Another thing to remember is that b550 only has PCIe4 from the CPU, the chipset uplink only supports Gen3, whereas on the x570 boards it supports Gen4.

Eh, not a deal breaker. The CPU, GPU and M.2 all still support PCIe Gen4 independently between each other, but if the damn things are really $180 and the X570 is only $20 more then fuck the B550 boards. :mjpls:

• Like 1

For RAM I think im gonna go with this

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-CMW32GX4M2C3200C16-Vengeance-PC4-25600-Desktop/dp/B07GTG2T7L/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=corsair+vengeance+32gb&qid=1592073163&sr=8-1

I have vengeance ram in my current PC and its been great. I know 3200mhz is the minimum recommended speed that you should pair with ryzen cpus, and a lot of people say to go higher but I doubt theres much of a difference between 3200 and 3600.

For RAM I think im gonna go with this

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-CMW32GX4M2C3200C16-Vengeance-PC4-25600-Desktop/dp/B07GTG2T7L/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=corsair+vengeance+32gb&qid=1592073163&sr=8-1

I have vengeance ram in my current PC and its been great. I know 3200mhz is the minimum recommended speed that you should pair with ryzen cpus, and a lot of people say to go higher but I doubt theres much of a difference between 3200 and 3600.

Depends on the game, but you could see 10-15 FPS difference.

5 minutes ago, Substatic said:

When does the new AMD CPUs come out. 

Supposedly by the end of the year, but I'm doubtful.  The 3800XT (and by extension the others) have been confirmed though and seemingly are the same chips just clocked 100mhz higher.

So I dunno..