Xbox Series X dashboard will be the same as the upcoming Xbox One dashboard update

5 minutes ago, DynamiteCop said:

The dashboard is great, that kind of happens when you overhaul it multiple times. 

While that's true... they really should have come with a completely new experience.  But that's just my opinion.

31 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

While that's true... they really should have come with a completely new experience.  But that's just my opinion.

Why? It means absolutely nothing, we're at a point where it's completely senseless to just thrown what works great out the window. This whole ethos is echoed through their backward compatibility initiatives, support for all existing devices and peripherals etc. 

Take Steam for example, their UI is in a really good place and that is the result of constant evolution, building on top of their existing rather than completely remodeling. If you go back all the way to 2002 you can see the evolutionary progression of its development, at no point did they scrap anything they simply made things better and better while adding to the functionality.  

Coming from a PC guy this hot take is pretty wack. 

Edited by DynamiteCop
12 minutes ago, DynamiteCop said:

Why? It means absolutely nothing, we're at a point where it's completely senseless to just thrown what works great out the window. This whole ethos is echoed through their backward compatibility initiatives, support for all existing devices and peripherals etc. 

Take Steam for example, their UI is in a really good place and that is the result of constant evolution, building on top of their existing rather than completely remodeling. If you go back all the way to 2002 you can see the evolutionary progression of its development, at no point did they scrap anything they simply made things better and better while adding to the functionality.  

Coming from a PC guy this hot take is pretty wack. 

Because it would provide a fresh experience.

Series X, and what they're doing with keeping the same UI... is essentially a PC upgrade.  You get all new components, but your OS is the same.  As awesome as upgrading a PC is, you never get that completely fresh experience, unless it's along with a new edition of Windows that you've never seen/used before.

Being a PC guy is EXACTLY why I can say this with confidence.  I've been wanting Steam to change for A LONG TIME dude... lol.  This recent update to the Library is nice.  I like it... but now they've got to finish changing the rest of the client over.  There's so many clashing styles within Steam right now, it's pretty sad.  Just like Windows in fact where you have shiny new Win10 menus mixed with old ass Win 7 menus and even Win 95 parts lmao.  

MS's console is a tiny contained unit.. and while it's great they've been updating it, all I'm saying is a nice fresh new UI goes a long way into feeling like there's been a generational shift.  That's all.

2 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Because it would provide a fresh experience.

Series X, and what they're doing with keeping the same UI... is essentially a PC upgrade.  You get all new components, but your OS is the same.  As awesome as upgrading a PC is, you never get that completely fresh experience, unless it's along with a new edition of Windows that you've never seen/used before.

Being a PC guy is EXACTLY why I can say this with confidence.  I've been wanting Steam to change for A LONG TIME dude... lol.  This recent update to the Library is nice.  I like it... but now they've got to finish changing the rest of the client over.  There's so many clashing styles within Steam right now, it's pretty sad.  Just like Windows in fact where you have shiny new Win10 menus mixed with old ass Win 7 menus and even Win 95 parts lmao.  

MS's console is a tiny contained unit.. and while it's great they've been updating it, all I'm saying is a nice fresh new UI goes a long way into feeling like there's been a generational shift.  That's all.

Games will fill that void, not some menu. 

Just now, DynamiteCop said:

Games will fill that void, not some menu. 

Games are games... the experience of using the console should feel improved, unique and different.

But w/e it doesn't affect me at all lol

Yeah after looking into this more this isn't at all what's taking place.

The Series X is going to launch with a new dashboard and the Xbox One is going to be updated to reflect it, this is when Mercury will launch with the new storefront. So they will be using a new dashboard but it will be the same across systems. 

On the contrary, Sony is apparently doing a nearly 100% revamp. Millisecond response times. :aitch:

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/06/ps5s_user_interface_is_lightning_fast_a_complete_overhaul_of_ps4_with_very_new_concepts

Funny how a company like Microsoft can't make a solid UI and continuously changes it every year because it's such trash. Still is. I have little faith in Xbox Series X's UI.