Jim Ryan - PS5 should grace your living room, emphasises value over price

They have lost their goddamn mind LMAO

Q: Can you tell us a little bit about the PS5's design, because at first glance it looks more like something that you would find in the furniture section of a store rather than its consumer electronics zone?

A: The PlayStation sits in the living area of most homes, and we kind of felt it would be nice to provide a design that would really grace most living areas. That's what we've tried to do. And, you know, we think we've been successful in that.

Q: And as we enter a period of economic uncertainty, is it a good time to be releasing a new machine?

A: Conventional wisdom and history show that our business is one of the more recession-proof businesses. But I think this will sharpen our need to ensure that we focus on getting the value equation right. And I emphasise value as opposed to price.

We must be more attentive than ever before to ensure that the overall value proposition in terms of the console and the games - the range of games, the quality of games, the quantity of games - makes this something that our community aspires towards.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A work of art with an appropriate stand as the centre piece of my living room. 

They hit it out of the park. I can't wait to invite non-gaming friends over and have them comment on how good it looks as the centre piece of my TV stand. Shit, the design is going to sell a few conso

They hit it out of the park. I can't wait to invite non-gaming friends over and have them comment on how good it looks as the centre piece of my TV stand. Shit, the design is going to sell a few consoles just so people can have it as a show piece.

• Ben 1
3 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

They hit it out of the park. I can't wait to invite non-gaming friends over and have them comment on how good it looks as the centre piece of my TV stand. Shit, the design is going to sell a few consoles just so people can have it as a show piece.

Having a 2 foot tall alienware pc in your living room is quite a conversation starter 

1 hour ago, -GD- (not mod, can’t help) said:

If this thing is over $499, they can go fuck themselves. It’s bad enough I have to paper bag (or garbage bag?) this monstrosity. 

$500-$600 consoles... lmao just buy a fucking PC at that point.

It's not like the old days where consoles were actually specialized hardware and sold for $199 / $249

1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

It's not like the old days where consoles were actually specialized hardware and sold for $199 / $249

Yeah. That’s kind of where I’m at. At least I can pick the casing and update it at my convenience. 

11 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Which is why exclusives is the only thing that matters.

PS5's list of exclusives already make it worth the $500 price point and that's without their 3 biggest games (SM2, GoW 2, next ND game). It's also why they won't ever put them day 1 on PC. 

Just now, madmaltese said:

Which is why exclusives is the only thing that matters.

PS5's list of exclusives already make it worth the $500 price point and that's without their 3 biggest games (SM2, GoW 2, next ND game). It's also why they won't ever put them day 1 on PC. 

They will eventually man, I'm telling you lol.

2 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

They will eventually man, I'm telling you lol.

Don't think so man. Sony doesn't make their money from software sales, they make their money from PSN and the Playstation eco-system (ie, getting 30% of every item sold from PSN). They use their exclusives to get ppl into that eco system. They care more about making sure Rockstar games, EA Sports title and CODs are majority sold on PS as they do about their exclusive game sales. Everything they are doing is to lock ppl into that eco system. This move to release a digitial only ps5 is that exact thing. 

I think they've found a perfect middle ground with releasing exclusives that are well past their draw stage on PC (Horizon followed by BB) and that is how they will balance both aspects. 

For the record I'm not saying ZERO first party games will be day 1, I mean the big ones. I could defs see the smaller titles (like Helldivers was and Dreams should've been) be day 1. 

1 minute ago, madmaltese said:

Don't think so man. Sony doesn't make their money from software sales, they make their money from PSN and the Playstation eco-system (ie, getting 30% of every item sold from PSN). They use their exclusives to get ppl into that eco system. They care more about making sure Rockstar games, EA Sports title and CODs are majority sold on PS as they do about their exclusive game sales. Everything they are doing is to lock ppl into that eco system. This move to release a digitial only ps5 is that exact thing. 

I think they've found a perfect middle ground with releasing exclusives that are well past their draw stage on PC (Horizon followed by BB) and that is how they will balance both aspects. 

For the record I'm not saying ZERO first party games will be day 1, I mean the big ones. I could defs see the smaller titles (like Helldivers was and Dreams should've been) be day 1. 

:snoop:

5 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

:mjpls: 

When Sony is ready to bring their games day and date, they'll have PC gamers subscribed to something... believe that.

2 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

:mjpls: 

When Sony is ready to bring their games day and date, they'll have PC gamers subscribed to something... believe that.

I still don't believe the sub model is more profitable though, especially the way MS is doing it. 

If anything Sony will look at Nintendo and the absolute fuck ton of full price exclusives they are selling and take more inspiration from that (if you try emulate anyone it is who is doing the best, not the worst) then MS who have devalued their titles unlike any other. 

I see Nintendo as one end of a model, MS at the complete other end and Sony in the middle.

Sony has a sub model but not for day 1 first party (and they will improve it next gen but still not make it day 1), Sony will put games on PC but numerous years after their exclusive appeal has worn off and Sony will still have gigantic exclusive that everyone will want day 1 and to do that have to get their console. 

15 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

I still don't believe the sub model is more profitable though, especially the way MS is doing it. 

If anything Sony will look at Nintendo and the absolute fuck ton of full price exclusives they are selling and take more inspiration from that (if you try emulate anyone it is who is doing the best, not the worst) then MS who have devalued their titles unlike any other. 

I see Nintendo as one end of a model, MS at the complete other end and Sony in the middle.

Sony has a sub model but not for day 1 first party (and they will improve it next gen but still not make it day 1), Sony will put games on PC but numerous years after their exclusive appeal has worn off and Sony will still have gigantic exclusive that everyone will want day 1 and to do that have to get their console. 

I mean I think Sony are going to find a way to make people subscribe to their network, as in..to play their games online on PC and be a part of the network.  Once enough content gets out there.  They'll talk about how they need to do it to secure their network and provide the best experience.  If you're Sony... and you have the greatest games on the biggest gaming network that pushes tons of hardware, then you figure out a way to make PC gamers pay into that.  There will be blowblack... but Sony doesn't NEED PC... it's all about maximizing profitability of those who will undoubtedly buy and play their games on PC regardless of the barriers to entry.  They absolutely know those people exist in high numbers lol.

I think the model you speak about... is the "transition model" until enough content gets on PC, and gamers become accepting of the fact that Sony's games are also on PC and realize that it's not the end of the world.  After that time has come... they'll maximize the market they have and release games day 1 everywhere.