Jim Ryan - PS5 should grace your living room, emphasises value over price

2 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Sony will know and have the numbers.  It's likely not as much as you'd think.

If Sony was that worried about people not having to buy their console, they wouldn't be working on streaming services....

Said streaming services don't offer their games day 1 though. Which I guess is my final stance on this for now:  the day SINGLE PLAYER Sony first party games start showing up day 1 on PC will be when Sony isn't worried about people not having to buy their console. And from the looks of things, that won't be happening any time soon.

I think at most you might see MULTIPLAYER games debut day 1 on PC/PS5 , e.g. The Last of Us 2: Factions. Maybe even GT7. But Horizon 2, Spider-Man 2 or God of war 2? Hell no.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A work of art with an appropriate stand as the centre piece of my living room. 

They hit it out of the park. I can't wait to invite non-gaming friends over and have them comment on how good it looks as the centre piece of my TV stand. Shit, the design is going to sell a few conso

Why would sony lose 30 percent? They could make their own store on pc . Or just take that far payout from egs . They would make more money releasing games on pc . Thats why they are starting to do it and continue doing it . Psn wouldn't go away , it would expand and reach a bigger audience that wasn't there before. 

1 minute ago, JONBpc said:

It isn't complicated. Sony is releasing games on pc and they will release more .

That will not devalue ps and they absolutely will make a bunch of money that they wouldn't have .

In your head everyone would just go pc if they were on pc but you yourself choose to play on ps over pc .

Sonys biggest games sell around 10 million.  Some a little over some a lot under . There's over 100 million ps4s . 

This is literally happening right in front of your eyes . Open them .

Again you seem to not be able to tell the difference between a 3 year old game coming to PC and a game being day 1 and what that would mean. It would 100% devalue the platform same way it's done to MS. Do I need remind you who is in last place?

You don't even know what I'm playing. Of the last 13 games I've played on PS4, 8 are exclusive, another was a PS Plus game and 1 was AI Files (Im not playing a visual novel on PC). Cyberpunk which is the next major 3rd party I'm buying will be PC. 

Lol open your eyes. Nothing is happening. We just had a PS5 reveal event that absolutely shat out more exclusives than ever before and you think that means Sony is giving up exclusivity :mj:

3 minutes ago, JONBpc said:

Why would sony lose 30 percent? They could make their own store on pc . Or just take that far payout from egs . They would make more money releasing games on pc . Thats why they are starting to do it and continue doing it . Psn wouldn't go away , it would expand and reach a bigger audience that wasn't there before. 

Look at how well making their own store turned out for Microsoft. :jordan3:

Sony isn't trying to compete with Steam/EGS/MS on PC. They'd much rather control their own ecosystem. PC sales are just icing on the cake, and that's why theyre porting games like Horizon couple years later. They know that game will sell a couple million extra units. 

1 minute ago, モンキー said:

Said streaming services don't offer their games day 1 though. Which I guess is my final stance on this for now:  the day SINGLE PLAYER Sony first party games start showing up day 1 on PC will be when Sony isn't worried about people not having to buy their console. And from the looks of things, that won't be happening any time soon.

I think at most you might see MULTIPLAYER games debut day 1 on PC/PS5 , e.g. The Last of Us 2: Factions. Maybe even GT7. But Horizon 2, Spider-Man 2 or God of war 2? Hell no.

We'll see.  But I believe they're readying the fanboys for exactly that.  It's going to get closer and closer all the time... and then Sony's going to look at the market they have with their console and PC gamers who they know will buy their games... and they're going to want to maximize their franchises potential and have massive launches for people who want to play their games anywhere they choose (PS console, PC, mobile)

Sony will eventually want to become fully self sufficient.. and what I mean by that is that in the future, I see a "platform holder" meaning a streaming service provider, like Sony, buying and building up their studios so they can release games all throughout the year at a steady pace.  They will make deals with 3rd parties for games on their service as normal, and will compete with other services by who offers the better games.  Sony can dominate here like they do in the physical space... but their business wont depend on 3rd parties... because many 3rd party publishers, like the big ones, will start their own streaming services using services like AWS, Google, and Azure or whatever else.  They will sell their own games on their own platforms and compete and make deals.

When 3rd parties realize that they can reach far bigger markets than any single console... some of them might realize that they don't need Sony, or MS, or Nintendo...  I fully 100% believe that Sony and MS are going to be building up their own studios portfolios to fully support their own products/services.

I think the days of starting a new generation, spending 7 years building up to 100m devices... is going the way of the Dodo.  

4 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Again you seem to not be able to tell the difference between a 3 year old game coming to PC and a game being day 1 and what that would mean. It would 100% devalue the platform same way it's done to MS. Do I need remind you who is in last place?

You don't even know what I'm playing. Of the last 13 games I've played on PS4, 8 are exclusive, another was a PS Plus game and 1 was AI Files (Im not playing a visual novel on PC). Cyberpunk which is the next major 3rd party I'm buying will be PC. 

Lol open your eyes. Nothing is happening. We just had a PS5 reveal event that absolutely shat out more exclusives than ever before and you think that means Sony is giving up exclusivity :mj:

Ms isnt in last place because its gsmes are also on pc. Lol youll see man . Day one or whenever , more sony games will come to pc .

Sony even hinted at it , more than once .

4 minutes ago, モンキー said:

Look at how well making their own store turned out for Microsoft. :jordan3:

Sony isn't trying to compete with Steam/EGS/MS on PC. They'd much rather control their own ecosystem. PC sales are just icing on the cake, and that's why theyre porting games like Horizon couple years later. They know that game will sell a couple million extra units. 

but they don't make money on software ? 

1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

We'll see.  But I believe they're readying the fanboys for exactly that.  It's going to get closer and closer all the time... and then Sony's going to look at the market they have with their console and PC gamers who they know will buy their games... and they're going to want to maximize their franchises potential and have massive launches for people who want to play their games anywhere they choose (PS console, PC, mobile)

Sony will eventually want to become fully self sufficient.. and what I mean by that is that in the future, I see a "platform holder" meaning a streaming service provider, like Sony, buying and building up their studios so they can release games all throughout the year at a steady pace.  They will make deals with 3rd parties for games on their service as normal, and will compete with other services by who offers the better games.  Sony can dominate here like they do in the physical space... but their business wont depend on 3rd parties... because many 3rd party publishers, like the big ones, will start their own streaming services using services like AWS, Google, and Azure or whatever else.  They will sell their own games on their own platforms and compete and make deals.

When 3rd parties realize that they can reach far bigger markets than any single console... some of them might realize that they don't need Sony, or MS, or Nintendo...  I fully 100% believe that Sony and MS are going to be building up their own studios portfolios to fully support their own products/services.

I think the days of starting a new generation, spending 7 years building up to 100m devices... is going the way of the Dodo.  

Oh yeah this is possible (and tbh sounds awesome), but it would be a very radical shift from where we're at right now. But if it does happen, I do agree that's where Sony would wanna be at: putting their games day 1 on all devices possible.

This paradigm sounds at least another 4-5 years away at minimum imo, but you never know. :whew:

Ms isnt in last place because its gsmes are also on pc. Lol youll see man . Day one or whenever , more sony games will come to pc .

Sony even hinted at it , more than once .

It's not whatever, because I am also saying more will come PC after their draw appeal has worn off. I think After BB then eventually SM will be on PC (to hype SM2) and GoW will be on PC (to hyped GoW2). Then both SM2 and GoW2 will be day 1 exclusives to PS5. 

They are using their games to lure ppl to the PS5, not away.

If PS4 major first party games get revealed for PC then I'm right

If PS5 major first party gets revealed for PC then you're right

2 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

It's not whatever, because I am also saying more will come PC after their draw appeal has worn off. I think After BB then eventually SM will be on PC (to hype SM2) and GoW will be on PC (to hyped GoW2). Then both SM2 and GoW2 will be day 1 exclusives to PS5. 

They are using their games to lure ppl to the PS5, not away.

If PS4 major first party games get revealed for PC then I'm right

If PS5 major first party gets revealed for PC then you're right

I'm sure a lot of pc gamers will be fine waiting to give sony software sales that they don't care about .

You're acting like sony is using pc ports strictly as an advertisement ONLY and not to make even more money .

Doesnt count if it isn't day one! 

Its happening right in front of your eyes . 

Its obvious pc gamers are willing to wait or skip instead of buying a console for 2 games a year .

Look at p4g . You'll think they they will all be like oh , thats good ill go buy a console for p5 now . No, they will wait like they did , for p4g and a ton of other games . This isn't something new.

I'm sure a lot of pc gamers will be fine waiting to give sony software sales that they don't care about .

You're acting like sony is using pc ports strictly as an advertisement ONLY and not to make even more money .

Doesnt count if it isn't day one! 

Its happening right in front of your eyes . 

Of course it's to make money also but that is why i'm saying Sony is going down the middle. How to make money without losing value of our ecosystem and also try encourage growth in that area. This is what they've come up with. 

8 minutes ago, モンキー said:

Oh yeah this is possible (and tbh sounds awesome), but it would be a very radical shift from where we're at right now. But if it does happen, I do agree that's where Sony would wanna be at: putting their games day 1 on all devices possible.

This paradigm sounds at least another 4-5 years away at minimum imo, but you never know. :whew:

It's what I think.. but who knows.  And lol I think it's more than 4-5 years... I'm thinking 7-14 years from now... meaning not this coming gen, but the next one.

This coming gen, I think Sony releases their games 2-3 years later, possibly sooner depending on the game and target market for that game.  It's going to take a long time yet for streaming and whatever else to make any substantial inroads on physical devices, but it'll chip away. 

In the meantime, Sony will make smart decisions about which games to bring and how quick to bring them.  Maximizing widespread appeal of their franchises like TLOU, UC, and GT.  Movies, TV shows, and PC releases will keep interest and engagement high while new iterations of the franchises push PS console hardware.

Right now, the smart play is using PC versions to augment new console iterations and make tons of residual sales on their key franchises.

Its obvious pc gamers are willing to wait or skip instead of buying a console for 2 games a year .

Look at p4g . You'll think they they will all be like oh , thats good ill go buy a console for p5 now . No, they will wait like they did , for p4g and a ton of other games . This isn't something new.

lol but there is a giant portion that won't wait, then on top of that another portion that would even buy it again on PC (like So many games have already proven). Why not just look at our own resident Hermit. Remij has bought all the PS4 exclusives and you better believe he'll get horizon and BB again on PC. He'll also be buying a PS5

• Like 1
Just now, madmaltese said:

lol but there is a giant portion that won't wait, then on top of that another portion that would even buy it again on PC (like So many games have already proven). Why not just look at our own resident Hermit. Remij has bought all the PS4 exclusives and you better believe he'll get horizon and BB again on PC. He'll also be buying a PS5

The average hermit isn't a Remij . 

There is a giant portion that will wait.  Thats why the software sales are huge on pc with those gsmes .

Not even a giant portion of ps4 owners are buying the games on ps.

The average hermit isn't a Remij . 

There is a giant portion that will wait.  Thats why the software sales are huge on pc with those gsmes .

Not even a giant portion of ps4 owners are buying the games on ps.

PS isn't nintendo. They have exclusives that appeal to totally different ppl. There are ppl that just get a PS for GT and nothing else, others that get them for their narrative games, others that get it for their kids, there are even more ppl that get a PS just for sports games or COD or GTA, etc. Nintendo is the only one that really has a fan base that buys their system for a range of 'Nintendo games'. 

4 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

It's true lol

Both are true... there's tons that will double dip, and there's tons that have no problem waiting.  The PC market is massive.  There's a LOT of money to be made.

Within the next 15 years, one thing is inevitable and that's cloud gaming. Sony testing the water with PC releases is just a preemptive move towards that, same for gamepass. 

• Like 1