Getting a new PC thread 2.0

Don't screw this one up guys :cat:

Anyway i've already bought 3 components:

Noctua NH-U12S CPU Cooler

EVGA BQ 750w semi modular PSU

Gigabyte X570 Elite Motherboard

Really want the Fractal Define R6 to come back in stock. Ill give it another week and if I can't find it by that point, then ill probably just settle for the R5

Also still trying to figure out which 2070 to get. I think they're starting to come back in stock, so it should be easier to find one. $500+ for a video card is a lot to swallow though, after I spent that much on my current 980 GTX I told myself I would avoid doing that again.

But outside of those 2 components i've already picked out everything else, I just want to continue ordering things little by little.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Speaking of which, the belle of the ball has just arrived:

Under no circumstances is this user allowed to access the Orange group. I won't stand for it.

You should've watched this guide before building your PC.

Posted Images

can you lend me some money, i need a new PC as well 

Edit: if you lend me some, you will never get it back and I consider it a gift

Edited by kaz BLackMage
Just now, Substatic said:

Don't skimp out on Microcenter open box deals, if you're good at testing items.

I got a EVGA 2070 Super XC Ultra for $450, literally 0 problems last Winter. Someone forgot to put that plastic PCI cover back.

word, I love those open boxes deals. :whew:

Is your 980 GTX really that outdated? What are you hoping to get out of this upgrade? 

EDIT: Also yeah DoofeyCop is right, I wouldn't invest in a 2070 this late in the cycle. 

Edited by Cell
  • Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, Cell said:

Is your 980 GTX really that outdated? What are you hoping to get out of this upgrade? 

EDIT: Also yeah DoofeyCop is right, I wouldn't invest in a 2070 this late in the cycle. 

My PC is 5 years old now. The 980 still holds up in most games but I've had issues in others that lead me to believe its dying. Also, my CPU has aged pretty poorly is a major bottleneck in the things im trying to do.

Its definitely time for an upgrade.

9 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

My PC is 5 years old now. The 980 still holds up in most games but I've had issues in others that lead me to believe its dying. Also, my CPU has aged pretty poorly is a major bottleneck in the things im trying to do.

Its definitely time for an upgrade.

Guess it depends on your monitor resolution and frame-rate preferences. 

I originally dropped over a £1000 on my PC in 2012 when I got a summer job from university as a laborer and got paid a lot of money (relatively speaking) with no over-heads (Lived with my parents while home from Uni). I bought an I7-3770K and a Asus Z77 Sabertooth MOBO. Over the years, I've done upgrades. The PSU wasn't bought with the PC, it was already about 3-4 years old, and lasted until about 1-2 years ago (over a decade, thousand of hours of use). Thermaltake Toughpower, you can still get an updated version of it, highly recommended that thing was a beast. I also upgraded the Ram from 8 to 32 gigs, still DDR3 but plenty of it. Stuck some more SSD's in as well.

Here's the thing. I've got a 1060GTX 6 gig card in here now. To this day, I can't justify spending the £1500 or so I would want to spend, and that's even with all the outdated support my mobo now has (DDR3 Ram for example, no M.2 support). I watch these GPU and CPU generations come and go and for 8 years I haven't been tempted to spend the money. 

It'll happen in a year or so I imagine. 

EDIT: My point is that my PC can still play almost all the games I want at a resolution I'm happy with. :ben:

Edited by Cell

Yes, it's about time you upgrade..... 2-3 months from now.

Don't buy a 2070.  Buy a 3000 series or AMD RDNA2 series GPU.  You'll regret buying a 2070 right now when a 3060 will beat it and cost less, or a 3070 will obliterate it and cost similar.

The new GPUs should release in Sept/Oct... well before Cyberpunk in any case.  You can buy literally everything else.  You didn't mention what CPU you're getting, but if you're not waiting for Zen 3, then get whatever you're getting now and take advantage of your new CPU and memory performance with UE4 development by using the GTX 980 in the meantime.

The GPU you have will work fine for 2-3 more months I'm sure.

13 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Yes, it's about time you upgrade..... 2-3 months from now.

Don't buy a 2070.  Buy a 3000 series or AMD RDNA2 series GPU.  You'll regret buying a 2070 right now when a 3060 will beat it and cost less, or a 3070 will obliterate it and cost similar.

The new GPUs should release in Sept/Oct... well before Cyberpunk in any case.  You can buy literally everything else.  You didn't mention what CPU you're getting, but if you're not waiting for Zen 3, then get whatever you're getting now and take advantage of your new CPU and memory performance with UE4 development by using the GTX 980 in the meantime.

The GPU you have will work fine for 2-3 more months I'm sure.

Fine :meh: ill buy everything except the gpu for now. And as far as the CPU is concerned I was going to go for the 3700x.