Getting a new PC thread 2.0

Just now, Twinblade said:

Between Halo Finite, Cuphead, and this thread you really can't catch a break lately. Its a good thing you're still so active or else we would have had to call in for a welfare check at your residence :mj:

It's hilarious reading through this thread and you saying that it's ME who can't catch a break :drake: 

:lawl: 

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Speaking of which, the belle of the ball has just arrived:

Under no circumstances is this user allowed to access the Orange group. I won't stand for it.

You should've watched this guide before building your PC.

Posted Images

Shop.Western Digital has for New Customers: 1TB WD Blue SN550 NVMe 3D NAND M.2 2280 Solid State Drive (WDS100T2B0C) on sale for $98.99 (price in cart). Shipping is free.

Note: Must be signed into your new account to see sale price.

I have a second M.2 slot on my motherboard, for PCI 3.0 SSDs, so I might as well use that. Put the WIndows OS on that hard drive, and lesser video games that are smaller in size. I hear that the WD Blue does a better job than even the WD Black.

And then here soon, I'll go shopping for the Samsung PCI 4.0, and hopefully I can get that at 1TB for under $200. That should be going on sale here soon.

On 2020-07-20 at 5:59 AM, kazi of Skalitz said:

560: games like doom would still be playable but everything else would run in 720p, everything low, 30 fps I would say and even then more framerate dips.

more importantly your Phenom will fucking die in modern games, some games just require more than 4 threads now or else you will have excellent micro stuttering and freezes.

good system for old games though. I think up to 2015 it's fine for most games.

when I build a new PC i will just keep my current one as a back up this time, i always gave my old pc's away which was a huge mistake. never again. :willcucked:

Reveal hidden contents

my gtx 560 was the best gpu I ever had but I accidentally fried that shit. RIP my love :mjcry: 

You were pretty much correct about all of that.  I couldn't even run MK11 on it.  I played with the GTX 560 for about a day or too until I swapped in another regrettable GPU, the RX 550.

Here's how the system looked like:

FX-8300 3.6GHz / 4.1GHz boost

8GB DDR3 1600 OC 1866

MSI 760GM-P23 FX

TrendMicro Wifi PCI card gave me 150Mbps 

spacer.png

spacer.png

The RX 550 didn't make it any better so I eventually switched to emergency plan B, and just got a new B550, a R5 3600 CPU, and a GTX 1650 Super, and tossed out the old junk components.

And now this little white robin is rockin.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Upvote 2

So, since I'm a bit of a waiting period as to whether I can find a better case, and it appears that the video cards are going to be announced exactly 1 month from now (September 9th), I came across a pretty solid deal for a somewhat solid case:

The Phantek 400A Digital White:

PH-EC400ATG_DWT-%201.jpg

PH-EC400ATG_DWT-%202.jpg

PH-EC400ATG_DWT-%203.jpg

PH-EC400ATG_DWT-%204.jpg

PH-EC400ATG_DWT-%205.jpg

PH-EC400ATG_DWT-%206.jpg

PH-EC400ATG_DWT-%207.jpg

Its on sale right now on Amazon for $88.37 with free shipping.

And even better, it doesn't ship until September 5th, so Amazon gets to hold it for me for almost a month, on September 9th I'll see about the nVIdia video cards (and hopefully soon after I'll see whats up with the AMD video cards) will try to zero in on what video card I'm going to buy and get one ordered, and make sure it will fit well within this case.

Or maybe by then I would've found a better case, or a better deal.

And since its Amazon, I can absolutely return this back with no problem or fees.

I like it, it seems like it does everything I'd need it to do. The reason why I haven't jumped on a Lian Li 011 Dynamic of any kind is because I think I'm going to have a space problem with cases wider than 10 inches unless I start rearranging other things. So I think I might settle for this case unless there's some sort of video card or CPU cooler space restriction that won't work with this.

So what's the deal about Vertical GPU brackets. the more I'm reading about the P400A, the more I feel like I might seem content with the case. They also sell a vertical GPU bracket but I don't know if there are downsides to that.

517Xv+0dcJL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

This thing appears to take up 7 PCI slots in this case.

PH-EC400ATG_DWT-%206.jpg

712gSZNPPuL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

That cable connects into the PCIx16 slot on the motherboard.  I am reading that the cable is made for PCI 3.0, I don't know if that is going to be a problem for the new video card, I think some people had to pay more for a cable that was PCI 4.0 capable.

71n798fYL9L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

This is what it would look like, I'm also assuming that the RTX 3080 is going to be a dual-slot video card, if its bigger than that then this doesn't work.

71T5VGRYdbL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Is this only done for purely aesthetic purposes? People want to see the good side of their new video card?

Or does it have any performance benefits? Does it create better airflow?

Yikes, I think I'd have to buy a PCI 4.0 riser cable (which begin around $50) because the video won't work unless I go into the mobo settings and set it to PCI 3.0, and that also lowers the setting for the NVMe slot to PCI 3.0, and the entire point of that was to get a PCI 4.0 NVMe SSD.

I'll hold off on getting this for now.

Yeah, I want a USB Type C connection, but I already got one USB Type C in the back of my Gigabyte Aorus Pro B550 motherboard, sure having one in front would also be cool.

But the only serious USB Type C device I'd care to connect would be my upcoming Samsung Note 20 phone to possibly backup stuff. I don't know if VR headsets are requiring Type C connections now or in the future.

1 minute ago, jehurey said:

So what's the deal about Vertical GPU brackets. the more I'm reading about the P400A, the more I feel like I might seem content with the case. They also sell a vertical GPU bracket but I don't know if there are downsides to that.

This thing appears to take up 7 PCI slots in this case.

That cable connects into the PCIx16 slot on the motherboard.  I am reading that the cable is made for PCI 3.0, I don't know if that is going to be a problem for the new video card, I think some people had to pay more for a cable that was PCI 4.0 capable.

This is what it would look like, I'm also assuming that the RTX 3080 is going to be a dual-slot video card, if its bigger than that then this doesn't work.

Is this only done for purely aesthetic purposes? People want to see the good side of their new video card?

Or does it have any performance benefits? Does it create better airflow?

Yikes, I think I'd have to buy a PCI 4.0 riser cable (which begin around $50) because the video won't work unless I go into the mobo settings and set it to PCI 3.0, and that also lowers the setting for the NVMe slot to PCI 3.0, and the entire point of that was to get a PCI 4.0 NVMe SSD.

I'll hold off on getting this for now.

Yep, good catch on the fact that it's a PCIe3.0 cable.  Many people overlook that and think it will work at whatever speed their MOBO is.  It will be a problem going forward.  Considering you're buying a PCIe4.0 MOBO and GPU.. you'll be bottlenecking your GPU just for something purely aesthetic.

Another thing to keep in mind is that when mounted vertically like that, temps can be hoter due to the close proximity of the GPU fans to the side panel with less space for positive air pressure in the case to push air through and exhaust the GPU heat.  It's nice looking... visually, but there's no real positives to it besides looks.

If you like the case, that's fine, but I'd definitely just keep the GPU plugged directly into the MOBO.

3 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Yeah, I want a USB Type C connection, but I already got one USB Type C in the back of my Gigabyte Aorus Pro B550 motherboard, sure having one in front would also be cool.

But the only serious USB Type C device I'd care to connect would be my upcoming Samsung Note 20 phone to possibly backup stuff. I don't know if VR headsets are requiring Type C connections now or in the future.

Fair enough.

VR sets are supposed to in the future, but admittedly nothing has really been happening on that front as of yet.

By the way, the GamerNexus youtube channel is an absolute must-subscribe. They guys are like Anadtech/HardOCP/TechReport when it comes to their comprehensive testing, except they're doing it all on Youtube.

Feels very old school meets modern day PC Enthusiast Website. They also have a website with articles.