Getting a new PC thread 2.0

4 minutes ago, jehurey said:

I'm thinking about the controller situation now.

I was originally thinking that I could just ebay my 1st gen Xbox Elite Controller for hopefully something that approaches $100, and then buy the 2nd version of the Elite controller.

But now I don't know if I the new Xbox console controller has any meaningful updates. They do say that it has easy pairing between multiple devices, which might be helpful.  My motherboard will have a bluetooth connection that comes with its own external antennae.

So I want the controller to be bluetooth, I could still use the existing Elite and that really long cable they provide. Or maybe I should hold off until they make an inevitable 3rd version.

Funny how Bluetooth was an issue and nobody uses it on PC when it was about emulation... but now.. your motherboard has it and you want the controller to have Bluetooth!

lmao, The Elite V2 supports bluetooth, but I would NOT recommend it with Xbox controllers.  I don't know if the BT radio inside the controllers are just shit or what, but Xbox controllers can sometimes drop inputs over BT.  ALWAYS use the 2.4GHz wireless adapter.  If you don't have one, then buy a controller that does.  You'll thank me.

I'm getting a Robot White Series S controller when they're available :glad: 

Edited by Remij
  • Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Speaking of which, the belle of the ball has just arrived:

Under no circumstances is this user allowed to access the Orange group. I won't stand for it.

You should've watched this guide before building your PC.

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Remij said:

Funny how Bluetooth was an issue and nobody uses it on PC when it was about emulation... but now.. your motherboard has it and you want the controller to have Bluetooth!

well yeah......I'm almost certain that anybody that has bought a new motherboard recently didn't buy one with a bluetooth built-in connection.

So even among new buyers its still a rarity and all previous points still apply.

3 minutes ago, Remij said:

lmao, The Elite V2 supports bluetooth, but I would NOT recommend it with Xbox controllers.  I don't know if the BT radio inside the controllers are just shit or what, but Xbox controllers can sometimes drop inputs over BT.  ALWAYS use the 2.4GHz wireless adapter.  If you don't have one, then buy a controller that does.  You'll thank me.

Now, if you're saying just avoid using bluetooth for the Xbox controllers, and do the Microsoft propietary wireless, then my existing Elite Controller can connect to an adapter if I purchase one.

So I might just do that.

1 minute ago, jehurey said:

Now, if you're saying just avoid using bluetooth for the Xbox controllers, and do the Microsoft propietary wireless, then my existing Elite Controller can connect to an adapter if I purchase one.

So I might just do that.

Yep.  My DS4 and Switch controllers work excellently with BT, as do my 8bitdo controllers.  The only controllers I have that drop inputs/connection over BT are the Xbox ones.. and I have enough of them to know it's not a specific controller issue.  It's a shitty RT radio.  Even the expensive ass Elite V2 still has a shitty RT radio and will drop inputs.  With the wireless adapter.. 100% perfect.  Any Xbox One controllers and Series S/X controllers will work with MS's Xbox wireless adapter.

You can buy a new Series S/X controller that comes with the adapter, 

3max.jpg

I'd like to hope that they fixed the BT connection for these new controllers... but I wouldn't count on it.

now i'm thinking that I had bought a fucking Xbox wireless adapter like WAAAAY back at a gamestop like back in 2008-2010.

I don't even know what I did with that box. Oh well, I already know I'm not gonna find it. so I will shop for one, or even a used one.

fucking nvidia stupid fucking product launches for their fucking shit, everything is a goddamn mess.

spent the whole last week trying to get me a RTX 3080 since I don't trust my Adorama orders. did every possible thing to get through the web traffic.

heard that they were doing random re-supply during the middle of the night. missed one, and the second one didn't occur.

Then I realized it was getting close to their RTX 3090 launch, so I figure I'd stay up a little longer and maybe they might re-supply the RTX 3080 when they launch the RTX 3090.

Still can't fucking get a RTX 3080. Some guy on the nvidia reddit posts a link saying "click here". So I do.

Of all the fucking things to happen.

6 minutes ago, jehurey said:

fucking nvidia stupid fucking product launches for their fucking shit, everything is a goddamn mess.

spent the whole last week trying to get me a RTX 3080 since I don't trust my Adorama orders. did every possible thing to get through the web traffic.

heard that they were doing random re-supply during the middle of the night. missed one, and the second one didn't occur.

Then I realized it was getting close to their RTX 3090 launch, so I figure I'd stay up a little longer and maybe they might re-supply the RTX 3080 when they launch the RTX 3090.

Still can't fucking get a RTX 3080. Some guy on the nvidia reddit posts a link saying "click here". So I do.

Of all the fucking things to happen.

I thought you already had ordered a 3080?

I just tried getting anything.. either the 3090 or 3080 and I wasn't able to.  Site took ages to load and was automatically out of stock.  Same with Newegg and Amazon.. both the Canadian and US sites.

Oh well, guess I'll have to wait.

2 minutes ago, Remij said:

I thought you already had ordered a 3080?

I just tried getting anything.. either the 3090 or 3080 and I wasn't able to.  Site took ages to load and was automatically out of stock.  Same with Newegg and Amazon.. both the Canadian and US sites.

Oh well, guess I'll have to wait.

Through Adorama, they took orders for evga 3080's that became backorders since they hadn't received their stock yet.  It pretty much functioned like a pre-order.

But since they've offered no updates since the 18th, I was thinking that isn't 100% gauranteed, so I wanted to buy directly from the eVGA website or maybe still get a founder's edition from nVidia's website (even though I kinda wanted an eVGA more).

welp. I didn't get a 3080.

1 minute ago, jehurey said:

Through Adorama, they took orders for evga 3080's that became backorders since they hadn't received their stock yet.  It pretty much functioned like a pre-order.

But since they've offered no updates since the 18th, I was thinking that isn't 100% gauranteed, so I wanted to buy directly from the eVGA website or maybe still get a founder's edition from nVidia's website (even though I kinda wanted an eVGA more).

welp. I didn't get a 3080.

I'd be fine with even that to be honest.  Just let me place my order and backorder it to whenever for fuck sakes.  I just don't want to be doing this fucking refresh shit all the time and checking in on stock all the time to try to finally secure one.

Nvidia really did fuck this launch.  Probably wanted to beat AMD to the punch and rushed it with barely any fucking stock.  I mean, how do you release a $699 flagship GPU which destroys the previous $1200 card.... and NOT expect orders to be insane?

And this fuckery is going to continue well into the future because next month the 3070 releases... and I fully expect that GPU launch to be even more fucked than either of these.

I'm glad though that I still have a kickass GPU to play the newest games with though.. lol.  Talk about first world problems.

2 minutes ago, jehurey said:

well, maybe not. WHen you click the Add to Cart button, the eVGA website immediately does a 404 on you.  Such a shitty website.

They're all fucked.

I've actually had multiple cards in my carts across the various sites, but none will let me proceed through checkout.

They've REALLY got to rethink and improve these launches for the future.

26 minutes ago, Remij said:

They're all fucked.

I've actually had multiple cards in my carts across the various sites, but none will let me proceed through checkout.

They've REALLY got to rethink and improve these launches for the future.

:drake: i don't know if you dare go to store.zotac.com but their $1500 RTX 3090 is very much available.

5 minutes ago, jehurey said:

:drake: i don't know if you dare go to store.zotac.com but their $1500 RTX 3090 is very much available.

I think I'm good lmao.

I want to go with either go with the FE, or an Asus/EVGA.  I really wanted to get one at launch, because despite already being marked up.. it's probably going to get worse before it gets better.

At this rate, I'm probably going to wait until early next year.  Maybe Nvidia is stocking up to have a big drop when AMD launches their card/s?  Maybe I'll try to grab one then... but I'm not going to be obsessively scrambling to get one.  If one falls into my lap one day, that's fine and I'll grab it.. but I can wait till things become less fucked.

igor's lab has provided a theory that some video cards are crashing when OC'd to 2000MHz and above due to the type of capacitors for filtering high frequencies on the voltage rails.

They're on the PCB directly behind the GPU chip.

Bottom-POSCAP-vs-MLCC.jpg

And they notice that certain manufacturers use between two types of capacitors. One is cheaper in quality, those are the POSCAPs (Conductive Polymer Tantalum Solid Capacitors) which can be seen here:

Zotac-Trinity.jpg

And the other type of capacitor is called MLCCs (Multilayer Ceramic Chip Capacitor). More expensive and higher quality. They are smaller and have to be grouped together in a block.

As seen here:

Founders-1.jpg

igor's Lab has tested the Founder's Edition video cards and clocked them over 2000MHz and they didn't have problems. This image above is from a FE, and they did a combination of both the cheaper quality and the higher quality capacitors, to save some cost but still have the ability to be stable at higher frequencies.

The other photo that features six cheaper capacitors is from the Zotac Trinity, which crashes when it goes above 2010MHz. And apparently Zotac is quietly making a change to those video cards right now.

People have been saying that the ASUS Tuf RTX 3080 has been a good performer, and we now know why:

Asus-TUF-1.jpg

So, people start gathering visual evidence of ALL the video cards to determine what type of capacitor setup is on the backside of the GPU chip.

Nvidia's Founder's Edition card have two blocks of the high quality capacitors.

EVGA XC3 have 1 block of the high quality capacitors.

However EVGA's more expensive card, the FTW3, has been seen with only the cheaper capacitors.

MSI Gaming Trio and MSI Ventus have 1 block of the high quality capacitors.

ASUS TUF and STRIX have ALL HIGH QUALITY capacitors.

GIgabyte's 3080 cards are currently unknown, but their 3090 cards have cheaper capacitors.

ZOTAC currently has cheaper capacitors, but they may be changing that with upcoming units.

So far its only a guess, but chances are they're probably right. I guess I need to shop for an ASUS or keep on trying to get a Founder's Edition.

3 hours ago, jehurey said:

igor's lab has provided a theory that some video cards are crashing when OC'd to 2000MHz and above due to the type of capacitors for filtering high frequencies on the voltage rails.

They're on the PCB directly behind the GPU chip.

Bottom-POSCAP-vs-MLCC.jpg

And they notice that certain manufacturers use between two types of capacitors. One is cheaper in quality, those are the POSCAPs (Conductive Polymer Tantalum Solid Capacitors) which can be seen here:

Zotac-Trinity.jpg

And the other type of capacitor is called MLCCs (Multilayer Ceramic Chip Capacitor). More expensive and higher quality. They are smaller and have to be grouped together in a block.

As seen here:

Founders-1.jpg

igor's Lab has tested the Founder's Edition video cards and clocked them over 2000MHz and they didn't have problems. This image above is from a FE, and they did a combination of both the cheaper quality and the higher quality capacitors, to save some cost but still have the ability to be stable at higher frequencies.

The other photo that features six cheaper capacitors is from the Zotac Trinity, which crashes when it goes above 2010MHz. And apparently Zotac is quietly making a change to those video cards right now.

People have been saying that the ASUS Tuf RTX 3080 has been a good performer, and we now know why:

Asus-TUF-1.jpg

So, people start gathering visual evidence of ALL the video cards to determine what type of capacitor setup is on the backside of the GPU chip.

Nvidia's Founder's Edition card have two blocks of the high quality capacitors.

EVGA XC3 have 1 block of the high quality capacitors.

However EVGA's more expensive card, the FTW3, has been seen with only the cheaper capacitors.

MSI Gaming Trio and MSI Ventus have 1 block of the high quality capacitors.

ASUS TUF and STRIX have ALL HIGH QUALITY capacitors.

GIgabyte's 3080 cards are currently unknown, but their 3090 cards have cheaper capacitors.

ZOTAC currently has cheaper capacitors, but they may be changing that with upcoming units.

So far its only a guess, but chances are they're probably right. I guess I need to shop for an ASUS or keep on trying to get a Founder's Edition.

There's usually problems every GPU launch.  Igor is usually on point though.. so I guess we'll see.

But I'm kinda glad I wasn't able to get one.  I'm gonna stick to my guns now and hold off till next year.  It sucks because I would have liked a 3090/80 to play CP2077... but with DLSS2 and my OC'd 2080ti, I should still have an awesome experience.

Like I said... I buy GPUs at launch often.. but this launch has been unlike anything I've seen before that I can remember off the top of my head.

Early next year will be a good time for me to get a new GPU.  Wait and see what AMD comes with and if it causes Nvidia to lower prices.. and just general stability of drivers and the cards.

Edited by Remij