Getting a new PC thread 2.0

9 minutes ago, jehurey said:

These AMD rumors are starting to make me a bit contemplative.

It makes me think that I should try to get my hands on an EVGA FTW3, because I'll be able to sign up for the Step Up program.

Gives me 90 days to pay the difference for a future EVGA video card if one were to come out.

I doubt I'd want to switch an RTX 3080 to an RTX 3070, but lets say that the Big Navi cards are competetive, EVGA will have a version of that video card before the end of the year.

And let's say that nVidia has other cards waiting in the even that Big Navi does beat the RTX 3080, like 3080 Supers, and they rush those out to release right after Big Navi.

With the Step Up program, I could theoretically just pay the difference in MSRP and trade-in the card for the newer one.

AMD always fail to deliver on the GPU side.

I wouldn't be worrying about it at all.  I'd be enjoying the fuck out of my 3080 regardless.

And NO Big Navi GPU is going to beat a 3080 with ray-tracing and DLSS2 in Cyberpunk 😉

Edited by Remij
  • Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Speaking of which, the belle of the ball has just arrived:

Under no circumstances is this user allowed to access the Orange group. I won't stand for it.

You should've watched this guide before building your PC.

Posted Images

Might end up settling on big Navi if I can’t get a 3080 from Microcenter first..

I’ll just get whatever I can get my hands on  first from Microcenter 

The 3080 is gonna be a bitch tho,  every time I’m in the area I stop by to check,  and people are literally sitting around on lawn chairs waiting for a potential delivery.

this shit is crazy 

anyway big Navi does look pretty decent.  If it’s $549-599 And have plentiful stock,  it’s gonna sell great 

D95E38E9-D734-4F6A-91DC-22C9C39D940D.png

85AE511D-8F7B-4177-B8F1-5518357A5CEA.jpeg

Thinking of buying another monitor. Having a 3rd would really help with what i've been doing lately. I've been looking at ultrawide displays because they seem to be all the rage nowadays but none of the mid range ones (~ $500) have the features that im looking for. All I want is 120hz+, 1440p, and a IPS screen but the ones that check all of those boxes are $800-$1000 and over. There are plenty of cheaper ones that come close but the problem is they all end up having VA panels which is a no go as i'd be using the monitor for gaming as well.

9 hours ago, Alphonse said:

So I manage to get two more 3080 :kaz:

I think that makes it 6 :vabe:

lol i'm using all the alert discords and twitch and still none. I'm doing something wrong or it's pure  random luck :trump2:

Guess  AMD is on the menu. Hope they fixed drivers.

Edited by Substatic
On 2020-10-04 at 10:02 AM, Remij said:

AMD always fail to deliver on the GPU side.

I wouldn't be worrying about it at all.  I'd be enjoying the fuck out of my 3080 regardless.

And NO Big Navi GPU is going to beat a 3080 with ray-tracing and DLSS2 in Cyberpunk 😉

I sense that you wrote this a little too overcofident.

1 hour ago, Substatic said:

lol i'm using all the alert discords and twitch and still none. I'm doing something wrong or it's pure  random luck :trump2:

Guess  AMD is on the menu. Hope they fixed drivers.

Alerts didn't really do it for me, you have to keep an eye on their chats.

12 minutes ago, Substatic said:

I heard  even DLSS 2.0 can be blurry with 3440x1440 so dunno if I even mind going with a Big Navi now.  As long as them' drivers ain't stank.

DLSS 2.X has multiple modes.  They recently added an "Ultra Performance" mode which uses a 9x multiplier.

Ultra Performance = 9x (720p at 4K)

Performance = 4x (1080p at 4K)

Quality = 2x (~1440p at 4K)

Of course the lower quality modes will be worse.  Quality usually looks better than native, and Performance usually looks just a tiny bit worse than native but still far better than 1440p native.  Ultra Performance is really only suitable for 8K since otherwise you don't have enough native pixels to make the image look great.

1 minute ago, Remij said:

DLSS 2.X has multiple modes.  They recently added an "Ultra Performance" mode which uses a 9x multiplier.

Ultra Performance = 9x (720p at 4K)

Performance = 4x (1080p at 4K)

Quality = 2x (~1440p at 4K)

Of course the lower quality modes will be worse.  Quality usually looks better than native, and Performance usually looks just a tiny bit worse than native but still far better than 1440p native.  Ultra Performance is really only suitable for 8K since otherwise you don't have enough native pixels to make the image look great.

Interesting. I never knew how any of that shit worked.

I'm just going by what I've heard on forums/reddit. People with Ultrawide 1440p 34" saying it is blurry and not good. But that was before 3080 and the latest drivers.

11 minutes ago, Substatic said:

Interesting. I never knew how any of that shit worked.

I'm just going by what I've heard on forums/reddit. People with Ultrawide 1440p 34" saying it is blurry and not good. But that was before 3080 and the latest drivers.

Yea.  Death Stranding in Ultrawide with DLSS looks fucking stunning.

20200728200011-1.jpg

But yea, obviously DLSS is not in the vast majority of games out there, so it probably shouldn't be a reason to choose one GPU over the other anyway.  We'll have to see what AMD brings.  They might surprise me, but I can't see them beating Nvidia.