Getting a new PC thread 2.0

1 minute ago, Remij said:

Yea, keep talking to chupa... you need all the help you can get :hest: 

Just now, Remij said:

Oh really... that's GREAT :bate: 

He's stalling really bad.

Its such an obvious pattern when you know that he's got nothing.  He suddenly turns into an 8-year old posting on the internet.

Thanks for reminding us that you don't actually know much about PCs. I love it when people ruin their long-term credibility to get out of a short-term argument. I always laugh when I think of what they traded.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Speaking of which, the belle of the ball has just arrived:

Under no circumstances is this user allowed to access the Orange group. I won't stand for it.

You should've watched this guide before building your PC.

Posted Images

Just now, jehurey said:

He's stalling really bad.

Its such an obvious pattern when you know that he's got nothing.  He suddenly turns into an 8-year old posting on the internet.

Thanks for reminding us that you don't actually know much about PCs. I love it when people ruin their long-term credibility to get out of a short-term argument. I always laugh when I think of what they traded.

Yep, I don't know much at all.  You figured that out because I didn't tell you why buying a 6 core CPU in 2020 is a bad idea... you got me! :hest: 

Hey, you're happy with your little purchase.. that's the most important thing. :fblike: 

1 minute ago, Remij said:

Yep, I don't know much at all.  You figured that out because I didn't tell you why buying a 6 core CPU in 2020 is a bad idea... you got me! :hest: 

Hey, you're happy with your little purchase.. that's the most important thing. :fblike: 

Yeah..........you said you knew of something.

And then proceed to show us that you don't know, nor can't explain it.

That's pretty how we determine it.

Its also funny seeing you resort to silly tactics to make us believe that you know, when its obvious that you're stalling.

So..............you don't understand CPU threading in multi-core processors, do you? You're logic is LITERALLY "da consoles have 8 cores, so you need to get an 8 core PC CPU"..........isn't it?

Just now, jehurey said:

Its also funny seeing you resort to silly tactics to make us believe that you know, when its obvious that you're stalling.

So..............you don't understand CPU threading in multi-core processors, do you? You're logic is LITERALLY "da consoles have 8 cores, so you need to get an 8 core PC CPU"..........isn't it?

What's funny is you saying this... and going out of your way to try to bait me with posts like "I think Lynux and Substatic know more about PCs than you... oh... and me too :tear2:"

You REALLY think I give a fuck about your shitty opinion about anything:cruise: 

Look.. I know you don't understand how this stuff works.. and yet you THINK you have some idea.. but I gotta say... it's REALLY hilarious pairing a 5600X with a 3080 or 3090.

And no... it's not about the consoles having 8 cores.... it's about overhead.  Your gonna be having a bad time with frametimes in games built for the next generation.  And it's nobody's fault but your own. :shrug: 

2 minutes ago, Remij said:

What's funny is you saying this... and going out of your way to try to bait me with posts like "I think Lynux and Substatic know more about PCs than you... oh... and me too :tear2:"

You REALLY think I give a fuck about your shitty opinion about anything:cruise: 

Look.. I know you don't understand how this stuff works.. and yet you THINK you have some idea.. but I gotta say... it's REALLY hilarious pairing a 5600X with a 3080 or 3090.

And no... it's not about the consoles having 8 cores.... it's about overhead.  Your gonna be having a bad time with frametimes in games built for the next generation.  And it's nobody's fault but your own. :shrug: 

He checked the "I don't GIVE A FUCK what you or anybody thinks of me" box.

He really is predictable, and he really does that every single time he has lost an argument and HE KNOWS he has nothing, but is trying to walk away pretending to be confident.

Its hilarious because he also knows its never worked against me.

No, I already explained to you Zen 3 having 19% more instructions per clock, and the higher clock speed compared to the consoles' CPU to more-than-offset than.

He's now pretending to have not read stuff I already typed. LOL

1 minute ago, jehurey said:

No, I already explained to you Zen 3 having 19% more instructions per clock, and the higher clock speed compared to the consoles' CPU to more-than-offset than.

No it doesn't.  Depending on the workload higher clocks does not offset anything... 6 cores was borderline 2 years ago.  You'll have more erratic frametimes in higher end games.  PC CPUs also have to do far more work than console CPUs... compiling shaders, decompressing assets, moving and swizzling data from system RAM to VRAM...  all has substantially more overhead on PC than consoles.. which have most shaders pre-compiled in GPU native bytecode.. new consoles also have hardware decompression blocks, and don't need to move data from RAM to VRAM in the same manner.

There goes all the overhead you thought you had... and now you have to deal with games designed around multi threaded console CPUs with SMT this time...  Big difference from last gen to this gen.

Just now, Remij said:

No it doesn't.  Depending on the workload higher clocks does not offset anything... 6 cores was borderline 2 years ago.  You'll have more erratic frametimes in higher end games.  PC CPUs also have to do far more work than console CPUs... compiling shaders, decompressing assets, moving and swizzling data from system RAM to VRAM...  all has substantially more overhead on PC than consoles.. which have most shaders pre-compiled in GPU native bytecode.. new consoles also have hardware decompression blocks, and don't need to move data from RAM to VRAM in the same manner.

There goes all the overhead you thought you had... and now you have to deal with games designed around multi threaded console CPUs with SMT this time...  Big difference from last gen to this gen.

"Depending on the workload"

Sorry, that's not going to work.

Its a gaming PC, I'll be playing a video game on it.

I won't be playing a video game and ENCODING a fucking movie in the background.

:tom:You can't even make an explaination without introducing unrealistic scenarios.

It does everything it needs to do for a gaming PC, and you already knew what the point of this thread was for from the moment it was created.

Just now, jehurey said:

"Depending on the workload"

Sorry, that's not going to work.

Its a gaming PC, I'll be playing a video game on it.

I won't be playing a video game and ENCODING a fucking movie in the background.

:tom:You can't even make an explaination without introducing unrealistic scenarios.

It does everything it needs to do for a gaming PC, and you already knew what the point of this thread was for from the moment it was created.

You moron... depending on the gaming workload... Jesus fucking christ :D 

2 minutes ago, Remij said:

You moron... depending on the gaming workload... Jesus fucking christ :D 

No, there isn't going to be some new game that has ridiculous gaming CPU requirements.

Like I said, CPU bound benchmarks have already been made, against the 5600X and the 5900X and 5950X. Including CPU heavy games like Total War: Three Kingdoms.

You really don't know, do you?

Just now, Substatic said:

How much more fps will the 5800x give me?

It's not always about the fps... frametimes are far more important.. and will be more stable on higher end games with the 5800X.

I've already tested this shit in RDR2.  Having 4c8t is stuttery in towns and the city.  6c8t smooths it out.  

Some games will scale better with more cores, others with frequency.  Depends on what the games and engines are targeting.  The more physics in the game, the better higher core counts are.  And I expect physics in next gen games to get a big bump.

Just now, Remij said:

:mjpls: 

We're back to square one again.

You pretending to know things that you really don't.......and we all know that you don't.........and you know that we are aware that you don't...........but you trying to feign confidence even though it has almost no chance of anyone believing you.

Like I said, predictable. I can set my watch to what your next excuse will be.

Just now, jehurey said:

We're back to square one again.

You pretending to know things that you really don't.......and we all know that you don't.........and you know that we are aware that you don't...........but you trying to feign confidence even though it has almost no chance of anyone believing you.

Like I said, predictable. I can set my watch to what your next excuse will be.

LOL... you're the one acting like a 19% IPC increase makes up for lacking a separate hardware decompression block, not having to compile shaders at runtime, and transferring data from system RAM to VRAM.. :hest: 

2 minutes ago, Substatic said:

Meh whatever I don't care as long as i get high FPSes.

That's fine.  What you want are high minimum framerates.. and no hitching.  6 cores will cut it for the moment... but next gen games are going to require more.  PC's aren't consoles.. they got lots of shit to do that console CPUs don't. :shrug: 

Edited by Remij
11 minutes ago, Remij said:

That's fine.  What you want are high minimum framerates.. and no hitching.  6 cores will cut it for the moment... but next gen games are going to require more.  PC's aren't consoles.. they got lots of shit to do that console CPUs don't. :shrug: 

I guess ill upgrade to Zen4  with the money I saved on going 5600x if I ever notice stuttering issues in a few years. With  a 2600(sold my 3600) and 3080 I never seen it yet.

Does Freesync/Gsync-Compatible have anything to do with reducing that form of hitching?

Edited by Substatic
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, Substatic said:

I guess ill upgrade to Zen4  with the money I saved if I ever notice stuttering issues in a few years. With  a 2600(sold my 3600) and 3080 I never seen it yet.

Does Freesync/Gsync-Compatible have anything to do with reducing that form of hitching?

Nah.  That's a different type of thing.  Freesync and Gsync is more about microstuttering due to the way monitors update at fixed intervals.. where a frame might not be ready for the next interval update, it duplicates the last frame and then updates the next frame, causing a microstutter.  Gsync/freesync smooth that out because the GPU synchronizes the refreshrate of the monitor to update when the frames are ready.. so instead of being vsync'd and stuttering when it drops, it's smooth.

Hitching or stuttering due to the game engine, or a CPU bottleneck can't be fixed by anything like gsync/freesync.  In games.. you ALWAYS want to be GPU limited.. as soon as you become CPU limited, your frametimes shit the bed and you have unavoidable stutter.

43 minutes ago, Remij said:

LOL... you're the one acting like a 19% IPC increase makes up for lacking a separate hardware decompression block, not having to compile shaders at runtime, and transferring data from system RAM to VRAM.. :hest: 

oh, you mean CPU instructions that would accomplish those functions?

clearly from the benchmarks that were clearly designed to be CPU-bound, it does appear to make up for it.

the higher IPC, and the higher clock.

Its damn expensive to get among the very best, new SSD. But I remembered from my previous Western Digital purchase a few months ago that I had a 10% off coupon on my next purchase, and also a decent 5% cashback buying it online.

But the WD SN850 1TB is currently the fastest SSD on the market, and the final piece needed for my PC, should be arriving with my CPU around the same time.