Getting a new PC thread 2.0

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Speaking of which, the belle of the ball has just arrived:

Under no circumstances is this user allowed to access the Orange group. I won't stand for it.

You should've watched this guide before building your PC.

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Been building this new PC over the last 2 evenings, and boy has it been a pain (much more so than my current build). Im not sure if its because of how the tech/hardware has changed or what.

It’s literally been the same process forever besides the cooling :ben:

Actually, I've noticed something about today's modern PC boxes.

The power supply is now in the "backside" crawlspace, and no longer at the very bottom or the very top.

So, the case is now shorter, but a bit wider.

And, not only that, the Corsair RMx 800 Watt PSU that I bought is actually smaller than the average PSU that I've purchased before. So I hope that leads to some conveniences.

For example, I believe that the motherboard no longer has to sit deeper into the PC case, which should make the installation of the CPU, applying the finely thin layer of thermal grease, and then carefully applying the heatsink on top should be an easier process.

Also, rumor has it that Ampere GPUs are going to require a 12-pin connector, and the video cards could require upwards of 340 watts, so me being forced to pay more money for the RMx 800 ended up being the right thing to do.

4 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Actually, I've noticed something about today's modern PC boxes.

The power supply is now in the "backside" crawlspace, and no longer at the very bottom or the very top.

So, the case is now shorter, but a bit wider.

And, not only that, the Corsair RMx 800 Watt PSU that I bought is actually smaller than the average PSU that I've purchased before. So I hope that leads to some conveniences.

For example, I believe that the motherboard no longer has to sit deeper into the PC case, which should make the installation of the CPU, applying the finely thin layer of thermal grease, and then carefully applying the heatsink on top should be an easier process.

Also, rumor has it that Ampere GPUs are going to require a 12-pin connector, and the video cards could require upwards of 340 watts, so me being forced to pay more money for the RMx 800 ended up being the right thing to do.

Not quite sure what you mean about the motherboard no longer having to sit deeper into the case?  I mean, every case is different, but the main benefit of most quality motherboards now is that the I/O shield is incorporated onto the motherboard itself, so you no longer have to install a stupid I/O plate onto the case manually.

What is a backside crawlspace?

Just now, Remij (not a Lem cant help said:

Not quite sure what you mean about the motherboard no longer having to sit deeper into the case?  I mean, every case is different, but the main benefit of most quality motherboards now is that the I/O shield is incorporated onto the motherboard itself, so you no longer have to install a stupid I/O plate onto the case manually.

What is a backside crawlspace?

the space behind the plate in which you would screw the motherboard onto. I guess its also refered to as the space for cable management.

So, I know alot of PC cases still have PSU's down in the bottom enclosed in its own section, so help keep the heat separate, but I'm looking at cases like these.

11-112-583-V21.jpg

They moved the PSU bay to be accessible only through the right-side panel.

11-112-583-V26.jpg

11-112-583-V23.jpg

I think its a great trade-off. Look at the PCI expansion slots to determine how far the motherboard sits.

And now look at the PCI slots in a computer that has the PSU sitting directly below the motherboard:

11-352-087-V84.jpg

39 minutes ago, nitric said:

It’s literally been the same process forever besides the cooling :ben:

There are glaring shortcuts manufacturers are taking with the components

-For some reason this $200 x570 mobo only has slots for 2 chassis fans, even though you gotta have at least 3 for optimal cooling. So I had to order a splitter to connect my 3rd fan. 
-The stock M2 heatsink on the mobo has its screw built into that part, so you need a separate screw in order to secure a drive that has its own heatsink. Amazingly neither the mobo or my m2 drive come with this screw. My case came with one close enough in dimensions that I was able to screw in part of it to secure the drive leaving it slightly crooked. I’m not sure why I had to implement such a ghetto workaround given how expensive these parts were. 
- The Noctua cooler I bought has the worst clip on fan I’ve seen. It’s these thin rods you have to push into the sides of the heatsink but regardless of what I do it just remains way too loose. I’ve barely nudged the fan 3 times while working on the mobo wiring and every time the fan has fallen cleanly off the heatsink. 
- The fractal case I bought has its own cage just for the power supply, but you can’t remove any of the panels to comfortably connect the power cables. So I had to connect the cables outside the case, and then squeeze the PSU into its slot cable side first, which just felt wrong. 

This build is already more expensive than my last one and I haven’t even bought the video card yet. Despite that a lot of these parts just seem shoddily put together and designed.

1 minute ago, jehurey said:

the space behind the plate in which you would screw the motherboard onto. I guess its also refered to as the space for cable management.

So, I know alot of PC cases still have PSU's down in the bottom enclosed in its own section, so help keep the heat separate, but I'm looking at cases like these.

They moved the PSU bay to be accessible only through the right-side panel.

I think its a great trade-off. Look at the PCI expansion slots to determine how far the motherboard sits.

And now look at the PCI slots in a computer that has the PSU sitting directly below the motherboard:

Oh, yea I see what you mean.  I should have clued in better... but yea, I agree completely.  It's a much better design IMO.  The compartmentalized cases offer better cable management, better thermals due to less ambient air in the compartment that houses the mobo/cpu/gpu.. It gives better direct airflow over the parts that need it.

Yea yea cases are becoming more and more like that. :fblike: 

12 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

There are glaring shortcuts manufacturers are taking with the components

-For some reason this $200 x570 mobo only has slots for 2 chassis fans, even though you gotta have at least 3 for optimal cooling. So I had to order a splitter to connect my 3rd fan. 
-The stock M2 heatsink on the mobo has its screw built into that part, so you need a separate screw in order to secure a drive that has its own heatsink. Amazingly neither the mobo or my m2 drive come with this screw. My case came with one close enough in dimensions that I was able to screw in part of it to secure the drive leaving it slightly crooked. I’m not sure why I had to implement such a ghetto workaround given how expensive these parts were. 
- The Noctua cooler I bought has the worst clip on fan I’ve seen. It’s these thin rods you have to push into the sides of the heatsink but regardless of what I do it just remains way too loose. I’ve barely nudged the fan 3 times while working on the mobo wiring and every time the fan has fallen cleanly off the heatsink. 
- The fractal case I bought has its own cage just for the power supply, but you can’t remove any of the panels to comfortably connect the power cables. So I had to connect the cables outside the case, and then squeeze the PSU into its slot cable side first, which just felt wrong. 

This build is already more expensive than my last one and I haven’t even bought the video card yet. Despite that a lot of these parts just seem shoddily put together and designed.

Huh?  Didn't you get the same mobo as me?  What mobo do you have?  It should definitely have the screw.

-My $200 x570 mobo came with 4 fan connectors..

-You should research more on the shit you buy breh, that's YOUR bad.

-Again.. every case is different... it's your fault for not researching cases that are easier to work in.

I mean I simply can't agree with your assessment that these parts are shoddily put together... they're much better and solid than they've ever been.  You decided to buy now... knowing full well that prices are currently inflated.  I dunno what else to say man.. 

Edited by Remij (not a Lem cant help
6 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I'm confused at these two things.

The clips are like supposed to be pulled away from the CPU area, and then pushed down beneath a piece of plastic, like a notch of some sort, and then that clip would get tucked under that plastic notch. And it would be like really tight.

Installing one clip is supposed to be so tight, that installing the second clip on the opposite requires you to apply some downward pressure while grabbing the clip and pushing it downwards quite hard in order for it to be low enough to clip onto its notch.

So, if you have a Fractal case like this, where the PSU is completely enclosed when viewing it at this angle.

11-352-087-V81.jpg

You're supposed to install it on the opposite side

11-352-087-V14.jpg

And the cables are supposed to run through those black rubbery things

So, do most people now install the CPU/Heatsink RAM and other little things on the motherboard OUTSIDE of the PC case, and then put the motherboard in the PC case and screw it in?

Is that a safe-enough procedure? Like put it on a towel or something?

The reason why I ask is because I am an utter perfection with putting on thermal grease. I've normally average about 3 to 5 attempts at putting on the most perfect layer of thermal grease, not being satisfied, wiping it all off, alcohol'ing it down and letting it dry, and doing it again until its perfect. AND that also requires that I successfully placed the heatsink on there as perfectly as possible, actually press down and do slight turns in both directions to ensure I squeeze out any air pockets, while still maintaining even downward pressure, and then clip it on both sides.

That's why me reaching into a PC case to install stuff onto a motherboard can be a really aggravating process for me.

11 minutes ago, Remij (not a Lem cant help said:

Huh?  Didn't you get the same mobo as me?  What mobo do you have?  It should definitely have the screw.

-My $200 x570 mobo came with 4 fan connectors..

-You should research more on the shit you buy breh, that's YOUR bad.

-Again.. every case is different... it's your fault for not researching cases that are easier to work in.

I mean I simply can't agree with your assessment that these parts are shoddily put together... they're much better and solid than they've ever been.  You decided to buy now... knowing full well that prices are currently inflated.  I dunno what else to say man.. 

A $200 mobo should come with at least 3 fan slots period. My current mobo had 3 or 4 and it cost around $120 back in 2015. That should be standard at this point. 

And no, it did not have the screw.

the case I got was still highly rated, it’s like people’s standards dropped and they’re now settling for inferior design.

10 minutes ago, jehurey said:

I'm confused at these two things.

The clips are like supposed to be pulled away from the CPU area, and then pushed down beneath a piece of plastic, like a notch of some sort, and then that clip would get tucked under that plastic notch. And it would be like really tight.

Installing one clip is supposed to be so tight, that installing the second clip on the opposite requires you to apply some downward pressure while grabbing the clip and pushing it downwards quite hard in order for it to be low enough to clip onto its notch.

So, if you have a Fractal case like this, where the PSU is completely enclosed when viewing it at this angle.

11-352-087-V81.jpg

You're supposed to install it on the opposite side

11-352-087-V14.jpg

And the cables are supposed to run through those black rubbery things

There is no benefit to having it that way. The cables are thick so squeezing them through the enclosure first and then running them around is not ideal.

1 minute ago, Twinblade said:

A $200 mobo should come with at least 3 fan slots period. My current mobo had 3 or 4 and it cost around $120 back in 2015. That should be standard at this point. 

And no, it did not have the screw.

the case I got was still highly rated, it’s like people’s standards dropped and they’re now settling for inferior design.

What motherboard do you have?... I asked you and you never mentioned it..  I think you're full of shit.

And yes, it should have a screw.  If the mobo is quality enough that it has it's own heatsink over the M.2 slot, then it should definitely have the screw.

11 minutes ago, jehurey said:

So, do most people now install the CPU/Heatsink RAM and other little things on the motherboard OUTSIDE of the PC case, and then put the motherboard in the PC case and screw it in?

Is that a safe-enough procedure? Like put it on a towel or something?

The reason why I ask is because I am an utter perfection with putting on thermal grease. I've normally average about 3 to 5 attempts at putting on the most perfect layer of thermal grease, not being satisfied, wiping it all off, alcohol'ing it down and letting it dry, and doing it again until its perfect. AND that also requires that I successfully placed the heatsink on there as perfectly as possible, actually press down and do slight turns in both directions to ensure I squeeze out any air pockets, while still maintaining even downward pressure, and then clip it on both sides.

That's why me reaching into a PC case to install stuff onto a motherboard can be a really aggravating process for me.

You just put the motherboard on top of the anti static plastic bag it comes in, and then you put both on top of the mobo box. I did it this way for the first time and I don’t really see why it’s considered the ideal way to do it. IMO screwing the mobo into the case first, and then fitting everything else in seemed easier.

1 minute ago, Remij (not a Lem cant help said:

What motherboard do you have?... I asked you and you never mentioned it..  I think you're full of shit.

And yes, it should have a screw.  If the mobo is quality enough that it has it's own heatsink over the M.2 slot, then it should definitely have the screw.

It’s the same one you all told me to get :| the gigabyte x570 elite

3 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

It’s the same one you all told me to get :| the gigabyte x570 elite

That's THE SAME MOTHERBOARD AS ME... and I'm fucking telling you the board comes with the screw and 4 fan headers :mj: 

smart-fan5.jpg

See the blue fan headers??? 4 of them.  One for the CPU and 3 for whatever else you want.

Edited by Remij (not a Lem cant help
5 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

Just use the CPU OPT header (assuming you don't need both CPU fan headers), Twinblade. That's how I have 3 case fans with the same motherboard.

This isn't common knowledge? :mjgrin: I have eight fans in my case and didn't use a single splitter.