Rumour PS5 Disc is 500 bucks, Digital 400

56 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

There might be differences in the storage capacity of their SSDs.

Yea, it's extremely unlikely that they would reduce the price by $100 with the only difference being the disc drive lmao.

Storage would have to be paired back... which is a stupid move considering that it's an all digital device lmao...

So I'd say it's more likely that this rumor is just bullshit.

1 minute ago, Team 2019 said:

They confired the SSD size is the same for the digital version.

Yea, thinking about it.. it would have to remain the same.  That specific amount of Storage is directly linked to their I/O design.  The only next step would be doubling it for a potential mid-gen refresh.

Would be pretty aggressive from Sony if true, however you take the loss on the digital edition then more than make it up by locking ppl into digital sales forever. Much better cut on games sold.

The rumour of the split launch makes me highly doubt this source though.

7 hours ago, Remij_ said:

Yea, it's extremely unlikely that they would reduce the price by $100 with the only difference being the disc drive lmao.

Storage would have to be paired back... which is a stupid move considering that it's an all digital device lmao...

So I'd say it's more likely that this rumor is just bullshit.

They claimed they’re identical, just without the drive 

Maybe it's the other way around. The disc version has less storage and its cheaper because of that :imageproxy:

Blu ray players are like 20 bucks now

Edited by Cooke (not admin cant help

Or they can be selling the digital at a bigger loss, to push people towards it cause it's more beneficial to them. Imagine people not being able to share games with their friends, also I'm guessing they make way more on digital sales too.

Maybe its possible. Maybe they're thinking that there's a low-cost Xbox Series S coming out, and they need to be within a price range that will make people realize that instead of paying $300 for something that will only ever do 1080p, they might as well pay a little extra to get a 4K machine.

Regardless if this is total bullshit or not, >$500 is a win. I have a horrible feeling these consoles are going to come in closer to a $1000, really hope I’m wrong.

2 minutes ago, Cell said:

Regardless if this is total bullshit or not, >$500 is a win. I have a horrible feeling these consoles are going to come in closer to a $1000, really hope I’m wrong.

LOL... no. 

They are going to come in right around $500.

4 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

LOL... no. 

They are going to come in right around $500.

We’ll see, I really hope so. Seen a bit of commentary recently with people in the media mentioning how new iPhones and Galaxies come in at $1000 and we accept it so perhaps these new consoles might also. They’ll definitely cost a lot more than the last cycle, I think that’s evident based on neither one of Sony or M$ are in a hurry to announce the price. $599 is the most we’ve ever seen, I wouldn’t be shocked if at least one of the consoles matches that price or exceeds it. 

Just now, Cell said:

We’ll see, I really hope so. Seen a bit of commentary recently with people in the media mentioning how new iPhones and Galaxies come in at $1000 and we accept it so perhaps these new consoles might also. They’ll definitely cost a lot more than the last cycle, I think that’s evident based on neither one of Sony or M$ are in a hurry to announce the price. $599 is the most we’ve ever seen, I wouldn’t be shocked if at least one of the consoles matches that price or exceeds it. 

Phones are completely different.  They're subsidized and people generally don't even think how much they're actually spending on the device, just what they have to pay per month.  It's also a different class of device... a phone is your connection to everything, a game console..... plays games.  Their inherent worth is vastly different, thus the difference in price people are willing to pay.

As for neither company being in a hurry... it's because they are both playing chicken with each other... neither wants to be the first to announce the price because both want to be able to undercut the other.  This shows that each company has wiggle room with regards to what they're willing to charge for it.  I think it's pretty fair to assume, given the likely BOM for each console, that they'll ideally want to be able to charge $500 for it, and if they have to undercut the competition going a bit lower.

MAYBE there could be skus with added peripherals like an extra controller, or maybe in MS' case a storage expansion card thrown in which cost $600+... but I think that both companies know that $400 is ideal, $500 is acceptable, and $600 is pushing it. 

There was a research saying that removing the disk drive would save Sony only $20.  I think the digital version is going to be a loss leader which can be partly justified by the ability to recoup faster with consumers going all digital.

Edited by Pureis
1 minute ago, Pureis said:

There was a research saying that removing the disk drive would save Sony only $20.  I think the digital version is going to be a loss leader which can be partly justified by the ability to recoup faster with consumers going all digital.

It's actually like $14, they don't cost anything.