Modern gaming is so bad

2 hours ago, Alphonse said:

I don't get people that don't play old games, it's like only watching new movies or only listening to new music :holeup:

I don't have enough time to play new games, let alone go back to older ones. Movies and music don't take the commitment that games do and I can passively consume those.

I don't avoid playing older games, it's just how it shakes out. I make room for the greatest game of all-time, Super Mario World, though. :juggle:

8 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

I don't have enough time to play new games, let alone go back to older ones. Movies and music don't take the commitment that games do and I can passively consume those.

I don't avoid playing older games, it's just how it shakes out. I make room for the greatest game of all-time, Super Mario World, though. :juggle:

He was obviously referring to people who refuse to play old games at all and only play new games (a few people like that on this very forum). Not people that simply don't have time. 

2 hours ago, SheepKilla said:

He was obviously referring to people who refuse to play old games at all and only play new games (a few people like that on this very forum). Not people that simply don't have time. 

I didn't think he had an issue with me. I just wanted to converse.

I think it just feels that way due to Corona delays on TOP of  the end of gen drought, as this exacerbates it.

I need Cyberpunk,  Path of Exile 2, Overwatch 2, Baldurs Gate 3, Vampire TMB 2, Shadowlands (so sue me), Wastelanders 3,  Horizon (real version), Death Stranding (real version), and Halo: Infinite in me NOW!

Edited by Substatic
9 hours ago, The Mother Fucker said:

you can't be serious.  I can't even touch games from 2007.  Heck there wasn't even Lost Odyssey in 2007. 

you are playing virtually the same gameplay mechanics. 

GTA 3 is the basic blueprint for the way GTA 5 plays.

SM:Odyssey is a less fun and less challenging version of SM64. 

BOTW is Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker with open world mechanics.

DOTA 2 is literally a 1:1 mapping of DOTA 1.

Skyrim is a snowy joke compared to Morrowind's fire (except just the combat is better in Skyrim). 

What exactly are you playing that makes older games feel outdated? lol

4 hours ago, SheepKilla said:

Skyrim is a snowy joke compared to Morrowind's fire (except just the combat is better in Skyrim). 

Mortal Kombat 11 -  I can't even get into the classic 2D Arcade fighters anymore, and I used to hold them to high regard over any 3D MK.

Red Dead Redemption 2

Call of Duty Modern Warfare - this game looks like real life with RTX.

Ghost Recon Wildlands

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

The Division 2

Edited by The Mother Fucker

Currently playing SM64 on my PC and having a BLAST. :cruise: I didn't even like this that much as a kid, so it's not "nostalgia" either. 

Game's world and mechanics are genuinely charming, creative, and fun. I'll just keep enjoying these classics I guess. 

44 minutes ago, The Mother Fucker said:

Mortal Kombat 11 -  I can't even get into the classic 2D Arcade fighters anymore, and I used to hold them to high regard over any 3D MK.

Red Red Redemption 2

Call of Duty Modern Warfare - this game looks like real life with RTX.

Ghost Recon Wildlands

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

The Division 2

It was an OK game after all was said and done but I wouldn't call it a masterpiece. I'd call Galaxy, Sunshine, and 64 masterpieces.  

Odyssey made a mistake by abandoning platforming's main role in Mario and focusing on exploration. It felt too easy and casual. I didn't like the world like I love Delfino Plaza, Peach's Castle, or the star hub in Galaxy. It was not a bad game at all, but it just was lacking/disappointing in key areas. 

I'm not sure how much I buy into this, I would argue that the same level of exceptional games has been consistent for the last few gens, including the current one. 

As an example, PSone has like, 10-20 amazing games. Stuff I would still happily go back and play on that clunky ass piece of shit, through a SCART lead on an old box TV. Lets say 20 games, out of 1850 in total which apparently released on it. Same story with the PS2, lets say 20 amazing games, out of 3800 games in total which released on the console. 

You just forget about all the hot garbage and remember the Metal Gear Solid's, or the Ocarina of Time level games, which creates a perception that things were better back in the day. 

Edited by Cell
2 hours ago, Cell said:

I'm not sure how much I buy into this, I would argue that the same level of exceptional games has been consistent for the last few gens, including the current one. 

As an example, PSone has like, 10-20 amazing games. Stuff I would still happily go back and play on that clunky ass piece of shit, through a SCART lead on an old box TV. Lets say 20 games, out of 1850 in total which apparently released on it. Same story with the PS2, lets say 20 amazing games, out of 3800 games in total which released on the console. 

You just forget about all the hot garbage and remember the Metal Gear Solid's, or the Ocarina of Time level games, which creates a perception that things were better back in the day. 

That doesn't really make sense to me. What I'm doing is comparing "the best" of those past gens, with supposedly "the best" of these gens. That's completely fair to do. I don't plan to compare the 2.5/10 scoring titles anytime soon - I compare the 9/10 and 8/10s. 

In other words, those past gens might have had 20 great replayable games a gen. But what I'm saying is that this gen, in 20 years, will have like 0-4. 

The thing I enjoy and miss most about old games is how fast you actually start playing. No surprise update waiting for you, no long ass intro.
With Mario Bros. you literally start playing in 2 seconds, you turn the system on it's already on the start screen, press start and you're playing. Games like TLOU2 take over a minute just to load, lmfao it's trash

• Thanks 1

I'm playing 3 classics right now while the game/covid drought continues, and they actually are pretty damn awesome.

City of Heroes (Homecomming servers). WoW Classic. Streets of Rage II (To prepare for SR4 which I still gotta get).

Edited by Substatic
13 hours ago, SheepKilla said:

I liked GTA V's mechanics way better than the other GTA games. Sure there were similarities.