The new Microsoft Edge browser from MS is really good

It's the only browser I use now.  It's got the best of Chrome, but runs better, scrolls smoother, and uses less memory than Chrome.  It's crazy how this is using Chromium but is absolutely more responsive and snappy.  MS have done a bit of work under the hood for sure.

It's nice to install a fresh copy of Windows and have Edge automatically detect everything, sync everything, and be the default browser and not even have to think about downloading a browser and then setting it up and yadda yadda.

All the extensions work and automatically sync, all my history and everything.  It's good stuff.  Why you wouldn't just simply use Edge now is beyond me.. 

Edited by Remij_
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

payed shill

Indeed. Both are garbage. 

That's still incredibly fishy.    That means your whole history is being stored by Microsoft, and someone can gain access. 

Nice. I only experimented with it a bit on my current PC but it seemed really fast and slick, more so than Chrome. At the time I just assumed it would be a pain to transfer over all of my chrome stuff (i also use last pass and im not sure what the edge support is like for that).

Ill definitely try to make it my primary browser on my new build.

2 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Nice. I only experimented with it a bit on my current PC but it seemed really fast and slick, more so than Chrome. At the time I just assumed it would be a pain to transfer over all of my chrome stuff (i also use last pass and im not sure what the edge support is like for that).

Ill definitely try to make it my primary browser on my new build.

Yea, give it a try.  There's literally no reason to use Chrome over Edge now, IMO... but to be fair I don't have crazy amounts of extensions and shit like that so maybe for some users there still may be some reason.. but definitely not an average user.

I just bought a new NVMe drive (specifically for the OS) and just finished installing Windows on it.  (lol Windows took less than 5min to install) Then I just opened Edge from the task bar and it automatically asks you if you want to update it to the "New Edge" click the button and it's done pretty much instantly and then asks if I want to sync everything with my account and I click yes, then everything automatically installs and signs in.  It's nice.  I know it's standard shit that you have a Chrome account and it automatically syncs, that's nothing new... but Edge is now basically Chrome automatically on your PC and it's nice to not have to fuck around with anything.

But the biggest thing is the performance and snappiness of Edge compared to Chrome.  They did some work with how the browser interacts with your mouse inputs and the render thread latencies, so basically when you scroll with the wheel it's instant and more responsive.  It also scrolls smoother with full framerate.  With a 144hz monitor, it's finally a pleasure to scroll on sites.

5 minutes ago, Cooke (not admin cant help said:

I'm annoyed they installed it on my pc without asking 

It's a part of the OS though... Edge is literally your only way to connect to the internet when you first install the OS... lmao.. so you shouldn't be THAT annoyed :reg: 

Isn't their new browser built off of Chrome or uses Chromium or something? 

doubled checked and Yea Edge runs on the Chromium engine.  When I updated to the new edge my work programs thinks the new edge is Chrome. 

Edited by Goukosan
10 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

Isn't their new browser built off of Chrome or uses Chromium or something? 

doubled checked and Yea Edge runs on the Chromium engine.  When I updated to the new edge my work programs thinks the new edge is Chrome. 

Yep.  It's running Chromium so it supports basically everything (that I know of) that Chrome does.  Initial versions of the browser didn't support extensions and automatic syncing, which were the biggest knocks against it, but now it does.  

Edge actually uses less Memory than Chrome now, due to some new features implemented by MS in the newest version of Windows 10.  Now Google are expected to follow MS' lead with Chromium and implement the same feature to reduce memory footprint.

You’ve seen the memes. Google Chrome absolutely eats RAM on most computers, especially on Windows. Now, though, a change to Windows 10 that is live in the latest update opens the door for Google Chrome to reduce its usage going forward.

The Windows 10 May update, as the folks over at Windows Latest point out, introduces segment heap memory improvements. What is that? The short story is that it’s a method to reduce overall memory usage of Win32 apps, such as Google Chrome, on the latest versions of Windows. This change is available to developers in Windows version 2004 or newer.

“SegmentHeap” is already being used by Microsoft’s Chromium-based Edge browser as detailed in a recent blog post. When implemented, it shows a memory reduction of up to 27% in early tests.

Early internal testing results of devices on the May 2020 Update are showing a memory usage reduction of up to 27% when browsing with Microsoft Edge. Individual device performance will vary based upon configuration and usage, but the lower memory usage is expected to create a better experience.

In a Chromium commit, engineers discuss using “SegmentHeap” on Google Chrome. The engineer mentions that implementing the change could save “hundreds of MB in the browser and Network Service utility processes” on some machines, with “many-core” machines benefitting the greatest from the change.

There may be one considerable roadblock, though. Implementing “SegmentHeap” in Google Chrome for Windows would reduce RAM usage, but it would require Google to build with the Windows 10.0.19041.0 (20-04) SDK. Apparently, this is difficult because that version is “currently blocked on some mysterious build failures.” Hopefully, Google can work things out.

Not that memory is a huge concern unless you're opening tons and tons of tabs, but still.. it's an improvement.  MS have also done work to how the browser renders which improves responsiveness as I said before... so for me, it's essentially a better Chrome browser at this point.

As I said though, it's nice to just install an OS, and have the browser included be really good and automatically sync with your account and install every extension.