Digital Foundry - Horizon: Forbidden West PS5 trailer Analysis

7 minutes ago, -GD- BLM said:

nice vid man! i'm really looking forward to this! 

Yea.. it's damn pretty.  Aloy's model has tons and tons more geometry as well.. making everything nice and round.  Still early days too.

1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

Yea.. it's damn pretty.  Aloy's model has tons and tons more geometry as well.. making everything nice and round.  Still early days too.

yeah. it's pretty cool seeing the evolution of the decima engine. while i didn't like death stranding, it was pretty amazing, visually. 

what a waste of time. the fake lightning source thingy was interesting though. darker areas look less spectacular without shining etc. do they do this in other games too? I feel like a realistic approach is always better.

1 minute ago, kaz BLackMage said:

what a waste of time. the fake lightning source thingy was interesting though. darker areas look less spectacular without shining etc. do they do this in other games too? I feel like a realistic approach is always better.

That's why ray-tracing is so good/interesting.. you get the same lighting model during cutscenes as you get during gameplay.  It can make a huge difference.  Games really just need to start being built from the ground up for it.  But it's quite clear that we're still a ways away from that being common.  Still though, there'll be some games this coming gen that will do it, and they'll stick out.

• Upvote 2
26 minutes ago, -GD- BLM said:

yeah. it's pretty cool seeing the evolution of the decima engine. while i didn't like death stranding, it was pretty amazing, visually. 

Yea, I have a feeling Horizon: Forbidden West is being built on like a half-step upgrade to the engine.  It's clearly far suprior, but I have a feeling that their next game after Horizon might be on a vastly improved version of the engine.

Kinda like Horizon 2 is just feeling out the potential of what they can do with a lot of the tech they already have, and then likely a new IP will introduce the real next iteration of the engine.

In other Decima news, Death Stranding on PC is going to support DLSS2.0... which is interesting considering that both Death Stranding and Horizon used Sony's checkerboarding and are two of the best examples of it actually.  This is a cool development because it'll actually allow us to compare them directly using the exact same game.  

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/death-stranding-pc-support-dlss-2-0-tech/

As a side note, I'm happy that DLSS2.0 seems to be catching some momentum... likely due to it not needing per game training anymore and being easier to implement. 

Edited by Remij_
  • Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, Ike BLM said:

DIMINISHING RETURNS! :mj:

there were parts of tlou 2 where i was like "damn, this feels like next gen"...and then others where i was like "this would look so much better if it was a ps5 game instead". there's still a lot of room left for graphical improvements. 

Edited by -GD- BLM
  • Thanks 1