• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You'll have to forgive him; he's currently only in the draft stage of his next race baiting thread.

It doesn't work on an Apple phone

Industry leading iPhone HDR, though.

Posted Images

TCL QLED isn’t just one of the best lcds for the money, it’s one of the best in the game. And it’s hdr is top notch. 

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/tcl-65r625-2019-roku-tv-review/

OLED sucks in the day light, literally eats away at itself.. and if hdr can ONLY be enjoyed on OLED, it’s trash anyway 

11 minutes ago, ghostz life matters said:

TCL QLED isn’t just one of the best lcds for the money, it’s one of the best in the game. And it’s hdr is top notch. 

OLED sucks in the day light, literally eats away at itself.. and if hdr can ONLY be enjoyed on OLED, it’s trash anyway 

Everyone hyped TCL for being best budget 4k tv.

The HDR on those tvs are garbo.

13 minutes ago, ghostz life matters said:

Dude, that is an ultra budget TV lol...

1 hour ago, Liquid said:

lol Some Samsung flatscreen joint. IDGAF about TVs. 

damn, that's already better than Apple hardware. And you weren't even trying.

you, inadvertently, selected better display hardware than ghost.:tom:

Edited by jehurey
16 hours ago, jehurey said:

damn, that's already better than Apple hardware. And you weren't even trying.

you, inadvertently, selected better display hardware than ghost.:tom:

I mean he's basically saying HDR sucks on his phone too. Interesting. 

On 2020-07-03 at 8:52 AM, ghostz life matters said:

I have a industry leading hdr on my iPhone, have a tcl series 6 (which is rated highly for hdr) and a computer monitor that does hdr that’s rated fairly well. It looks like shit on all three, tho the OLED phone does look best.. tho it’s small 

No wonder you think HDR is shit... you have shit devices :pavarotti:

45 minutes ago, ghostz life matters said:

The display on my phone is better than yours, LOL. 

it probably isn't.

I have competent HDR on my phone, since 2017.

And the HDR on my OLED is better and more balanced than any over-brightened and washed out LCD/LED

Not to mention that HDR actually functions as intended during low-latency game mode.

36 minutes ago, Newmanspwn said:

Damn Ghostz derailing his own thread. Mad cuz he exposed himself as a dumbass who doesn't know anything about hdr and is now trying to turn this into phone wars :tom:

he does that all the time = he's losing alot of arguments all the time. :tom:

2 hours ago, jehurey said:

it probably isn't.

And the HDR on my OLED is better and more balanced than any over-brightened and washed out LCD/LED

Not to mention that HDR actually functions as intended during low-latency game mode.

“It probably isn’t”

Except factually, it’s SUPERIOR. In every way, really. 

2 hours ago, jehurey said:

it probably isn't.

Why do you keep saying "over-brightened" and variants of it... The level of attainable nits is a positive, not something negative. 

Luminosity is extremely important and it's actually a negative for OLED's, they can't hit the highlights LED's can and HDR basically collapses for them in a brightly lit room. 

Most OLED's struggle to even hit 900 nits, even 2020 variants while even my 2016 KS800D can hit near 1,500 nits. 

Edited by DynamitCop! ALM

For HDR to have the impact it's supposed to have, you need 3 things:

-A high quality display (many simply can't display the FULL wide-color gamut as well as produce light bright enough, or shadows dark enough to give the image the intensity it requires)

-A high quality input device (many devices might not be configured to properly or even support output in the required bit or color format)

-A high quality sample of content which is properly authored and designed around HDR (many examples of "HDR" content are simply tone-mapped 'enhancements' of SDR content which don't even hit the required output parameters to qualify for HDR)

A basic understanding of what "HDR" is and what it isn't also goes a long way... it's not all about color pop, or being really bright... color gradients and shadow in dark scenes play a HUGE part in what makes an HDR image superior to an SDR image... being able to spot and appreciate the difference is helpful.

It's unfortunate but HDR at the moment still has too many quirks for some people to truly be able to appreciate it on a really wide level.  Too many TVs with far too varying degrees of quality and "support" for that.  Of course there are tons of people out there who immediately notice the difference and that's great, but as far as having all the necessary requirements, such as TVs that actually can display the required nits and isn't just "HDR ready" as well as content which isn't just tone-mapped and doesn't expand the actual dynamic range of the output... it unfortunately means that some people wont be convinced.

Get them in front of a properly calibrated high quality OLED display, and content designed around and authored for HDR wide color gamut... and you'll see their jaws drop B) 

Edited by Remij_