Based manime thread.

I can appreciate games like TLOU 2, but for a game to be a classic or perfect, it has to be BASED.

What do I mean by that? It has to be cool and relatable to the point of it being a great work of art. 

Many anime fit into this category-- so much that they're based. 

If Talamatross was still here, he'd appreciate this thread. 

We'll start by listing the most based anime of all time -- The Legend of the Galactic Heroes. 

This anime is so old school, and yet everything about it is lovable, from the music to the characters to the story. The only problem with it is that it's long. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Super Dimension Fortress Macross - Do You Remember Love  Just watched it and holy SHIT I can't believe this came out in 1984   That was incredible even though the story is kinda wack but sti

Oh wow... yeah I remember kamikaze pie being well liked in real life. I’m not really his neighbor, definitely not his next door neighbor. When I knew him he lived in Vancouver Washington, and I lived

Ahh, ok. Yah his dad was lieutenant. I'm sure the military thing crossed his mind a few times; though, he ultimately decided to try the doctor gig up at wsu. Was less than a week away from all of us m

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Substatic said:

whats the best new anime from 2019-2020 i have not kept up in long time.

Halo Legends.

halolegends.jpg

Best check yo elf, before ya wreck ya self...

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, Substatic said:

whats the best new anime from 2019-2020 i have not kept up in long time.

I was going to say Made In Abyss, but that's 3 years old already. It's probably the best new series in terms of art direction, characters and story.

The only problem is that it's very pedo, and I don't mean that lightly. I enjoy anime with child characters in them, I get it and all, but the show goes to great lengths to sexualize children. Not necessarily as fan service, but there are some inappropriate scenes that only Japan can get away with. Still a good show though. Im not really offended or disgusted by the obsession of childlike characters in Japan, but it's not something I'm into, nor would I consider that BASED. 

My favorite 2019 show was Promised Neverland. 

Promised Neverland had childlike characters but they were all very mature and the reason they were children was very believable. Like Made In Abyss, it's an actual good show. (But it didn't make me uncomfortable like Made In Abyss did.) 

Though I haven't seen it, maybe Vinland Saga is up your alley. It's my friend's favorite show of 2019

Though the best anime of 2020 will be Higurashi (When They Cry) remake. 

Based on the cult classic, this anime will be a great watch. Though I doubt it would be as good as the Visual Novels are, because they're so long. 

Basically, if you watch an anime in 2020, it's going to have childlike characters -- if you don't like that, you don't like modern anime... basically. This thread isn't really about modern anime. It's about BASED anime, or as Kamikaze Pie and I liked to put it, MANIME. 

I was sooooo disappointed by Vinland Saga. I feel like they marketed it as a authentic Viking based action series (rare by anime standards) but then in the first few minutes some dude fucking leaps 20 feet in the air and strides across a bunch of ships like a DBZ character. I immediately turned it off when I saw that.

4 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I was sooooo disappointed by Vinland Saga. I feel like they marketed it as a authentic Viking based action series (rare by anime standards) but then in the first few minutes some dude fucking leaps 20 feet in the air and strides across a bunch of ships like a DBZ character. I immediately turned it off when I saw that.

Oh really? I never saw it. It was my friend's favorite anime of 2019. 

5 minutes ago, GeorgeW1000 said:

Oh really? I never saw it. It was my friend's favorite anime of 2019. 

Yeah, i was expecting it to be anime version of Vikings or The Last Kingdom but instead I got more way over the top japanese BS (one of the reasons why I rarely watch anime nowadays). Im sure its well made but its just not the type of show I wanted from that setting.

I only follow the MANga of One Piece and Ippo

Everything else is meh and has gone down some weird cutesy fanservice route that wasn't in Anime as much 10 years ago

There was one battle cooking show I watched which was fun though. And Mob Psycho

y'all make me laugh, anime noobs. :geese:

legend of the galatic heroes: pretty amazing political drama and not even so rare or special people want to believe, this oldschool series got a huge following based on the quality.

monster: loved the realism 

higurashi: @GeorgeW1000  don't make me laugh man, the visual novels are garbage. after you watched higurashi no naku koro ni you will understand why and both sequel series are even better because they are really good at explaining everything that happens.

halo legends: :D 

I will add just one for now, you guys watched blue submarine no. 6? the anime is pretty cool it's based on an old ass manga which is also amazing. 

Edited by kaz BLackMage
14 minutes ago, kaz BLackMage said:

y'all make me laugh, anime noobs. :geese:

legend of the galatic heroes: pretty amazing political drama and not even so rare or special people want to believe, this oldschool series got a huge following based on the quality.

monster: loved the realism 

higurashi: @GeorgeW1000  don't make me laugh man, the visual novels are garbage. after you watched higurashi no naku koro ni you will understand why and both sequel series are even better because they are really good at explaining everything that happens.

halo legends: :D 

I will add just one for now, you guys watched blue submarine no. 6? the anime is pretty cool it's based on an old ass manga which is also amazing. 

Was Halo legends real? I just thought DC posted that as a joke since the art looked like some kid drew it on some Xbox fanfic site or something. 

I stopped watching anime years ago but the old anime movies from the 80's and 90's using cell animation are still a joy to watch, from a technical standpoint they're just incredible :bow: 

Just now, bhytre said:

I stopped watching anime years ago but the old anime movies from the 80's and 90's using cell animation are still a joy to watch, from a technical standpoint they're just incredible :bow: 

Yeah it’s too clean now. I miss the pre 2000 gritty look

Just now, Delita said:

Yeah it’s too clean now. I miss the pre 2000 gritty look

Yeah they don't capture that vibe the older animations manage to have, the ones from the 80's is what I like the most even though they used to give every character huge chins for some reason lmao

Gonna watch Super Dimension Fortress Macross - Do You Remember Love from 1984, looks amazing :lawd:

1 minute ago, bhytre said:

Yeah they don't capture that vibe the older animations manage to have, the ones from the 80's is what I like the most even though they used to give every character huge chins for some reason lmao

Gonna watch Super Dimension Fortress Macross - Do You Remember Love from 1984, looks amazing :lawd:

Macross is godly, Macross Plus especially :face: 

Plus compare Berserk 90s  look vs that new shit we got not too long ago :will2:

33 minutes ago, Delita said:

I miss classic Gundam series. Gundam wing, Turn A Gundam, MS team, G Gundam were some of my favorites

the first one i watched was gundam seed. damn it was cool but also super annoying. some bitch who fell in love with the main character hero was insufferable. 

then gundam 00. that show owned. I have to watch the others man, i love mechas. :bow: 

34 minutes ago, bhytre said:

I was binging so much around 2010 but I dropped everything in 2012 and haven't watched anime for 8 years. :( 

I have only seen Macross Frontier, the soundtrack was amazing at times (except the stupid singing) but man the show was ass.... kind of..