Really though - Just WHAT is MS thinking with X-Box’s naming?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Should have called it XBox infinity. Seriusly

The same confusion is going to happen with this one. I've talked to non gamer gamers and they think it's just another Xbox one model

The Vita was so idiotic I thought it was part of Sony self-sabotaging or something. The thing was barely distinguishable at a glance too. 

9 minutes ago, Liquid said:

I know more about gaming than the average person and I didn't know the Series X was a successor console for a while. I think you underestimate how little the average person pays attention to gaming. 

You knew it was a more powerful complete self contained Xbox... not an accessory gamepad that you add to your Xbox One, right?

Nintendo's messaging was so bad that people thought it was just a controller.. and that you used it with your Wii....

4 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

You knew it was a more powerful complete self contained Xbox... not an accessory gamepad that you add to your Xbox One, right?

Nintendo's messaging was so bad that people thought it was just a controller.. and that you used it with your Wii....

Yes, I also thought the WiiU was an add-on at first but that's arguing degrees of confusion. I didn't think either was a next gen offering. A remodel of the same console isn't much better than a peripheral tbh. 

1 minute ago, Liquid said:

Yes, I also thought the WiiU was an add-on at first but that's arguing degrees of confusion. I didn't think either was a next gen offering. A remodel of the same console isn't much better than a peripheral tbh. 

Yea it is... when you're being asked to spend $300-$500.  It's important to know this isn't an add on.. or peripheral.  Removing that idea from the equation at all goes a long way past what Nintendo did with the WiiU.

Nintendo pushed and focused on WiiU as a new way to control your games.  It was all about the controller... so people were understandably confused.  That type of confusion wont exist for Xbox Series X.

As for being just "another Xbox One console"... well, in many ways it is...  It's being CLEARLY marketed as the most powerful however.. and the price will reflect that.  It's fully backwards compatible, works with all your Xbox One accessories.. and enhances them.  It essentially IS an Xbox One.

There's no confusing Series X with other Xbox Ones though... they look vastly different.. you clearly know which console you're getting by the box.

Outside of all that, as I said.. will be how MS markets the system and how they brand it.  Having 3 generations of hardware on the market (XO, Series S, and Series X) it will be important to have clear branding of games that support which consoles and which ones don't.  I'm not saying there wont be SOME confusion... but not WiiU levels.

I think the name is distinct enough on its own as well.  Xbox One... vs Series X.  That's not Wii vs WiiU levels of bad.

29 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

LemiJ even an Xbox executive mixed up the two machines in a public tweet.    If he can do that imagine what casuals will do :shrug:

2 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Yea it is... when you're being asked to spend $300-$500.  It's important to know this isn't an add on.. or peripheral.  Removing that idea from the equation at all goes a long way past what Nintendo did with the WiiU.

Nintendo pushed and focused on WiiU as a new way to control your games.  It was all about the controller... so people were understandably confused.  That type of confusion wont exist for Xbox Series X.

As for being just "another Xbox One console"... well, in many ways it is...  It's being CLEARLY marketed as the most powerful however.. and the price will reflect that.  It's fully backwards compatible, works with all your Xbox One accessories.. and enhances them.  It essentially IS an Xbox One.

There's no confusing Series X with other Xbox Ones though... they look vastly different.. you clearly know which console you're getting by the box.

Outside of all that, as I said.. will be how MS markets the system and how they brand it.  Having 3 generations of hardware on the market (XO, Series S, and Series X) it will be important to have clear branding of games that support which consoles and which ones don't.  I'm not saying there wont be SOME confusion... but not WiiU levels.

I think the name is distinct enough on its own as well.  Xbox One... vs Series X.  That's not Wii vs WiiU levels of bad.

We were talking about console names, not box packaging or commercials. If someone at a glance (like I did) sees "Info leaks on the Xbox Series X" and they currently have Xbox One, Xbox One S, and Xbox One X on the market. It just sounds like yet another revision on something that's on the market already. I'm not sure why you're spinning this. 

12 minutes ago, Liquid said:

We were talking about console names, not box packaging or commercials. If someone at a glance (like I did) sees "Info leaks on the Xbox Series X" and they currently have Xbox One, Xbox One S, and Xbox One X on the market. It just sounds like yet another revision on something that's on the market already. I'm not sure why you're spinning this. 

I don't think I'm spinning it.

Series X as a name is vastly different from Xbox One X.  Wii and WiiU are not so different sounding.

Again... it's very clear even from the name alone that this is a console and not an accessory/add-on.

23 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

I honestly have no idea which XBox is which anymore. There's no logic to the naming scheme. It's just random numbers and letters. At least with the Wii and WiiU there were only two names.

Just now, Saucer said:

I honestly have no idea which XBox is which anymore. There's no logic to the naming scheme. It's just random numbers and letters. At least with the Wii and WiiU there were only two names.

Yes you do, shut the hell up :D 

13 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Who cares what the name is; they've got you making threads about their product.

xbot.gif

They should have made a stupid memorable name like Wii. Everyone was like wtf is that? And it worked. 

How about Zork!

Or Xit

Or Fodge 

Or Swurk

6 hours ago, ghostz life matters said:

If they didn’t want to do Xbox 1, 2, 3 like Sony, they should just have brand new names. Xbox. Xcube. Xsquare. 

They couldn't do regular naming like Sony because they were always a system behind. I know it wouldn't mean much to any of us but from a marketing perspective releasing an Xbox 3 when the competition is a Playstation 4 already gives it an image of being behind. 

But yeah, they've fd up the names