Paper Mario: The Origami King looks like it's too closely following Color Splash in design

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/paper-mario-the-origami-king-10-minutes-of-gameplay/vi-BB16viCW

It looks way too similar to Color Splash.  Now you collect confetti, and instead of areas you have to paint you spread confetti over the missing environment.  Coins are still the main form of upgrade... and again, it looks like the Battle system is going to be too shallow to really give any meaning to it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it looks BAD... but just more of the exact same formula as CS.  Everything in Color Splash was good except the battles and constantly having to paint things all over the place.  Those mechanics would be fine.. used in moderation and with more puzzles and things to unlock.. but there wasn't enough variety in that game.  This one looks like it might have the same problem.

Absolutely beautiful visuals though.  Just like Color Splash.. that game looks phenomenal.  I hope I'm wrong and this turns out to have more substance though.

Edited by Remij_

I think it's going to be pretty mediocre. What made TTYD good is its writing and level themes. One level you're in a wrestling contest and the next you're doing Murder on the Orient Express. 

In Origami King's trailers, the bosses are basic things like a turtle, a box of colored pencils, and a phoenix. And the level themes are basic things like sewers, snowy mountains, a mummy tomb, jungle, and a wild west town. I also think the graphics look low-budget but that's not a big deal.

I admit I haven't played a paper mario game in years but Im still hoping this is a return to form for that series. I feel like they've always been in the shadow of the Mario & Luigi games, which have always done a better job of nailing the RPG mechanics.

It's a 40 hour game and you twits are basing your stupid opinions on a 2 minute trailer.  You are just as dumb as the people who assume the plot of a movie just on a trailer.  Well actually dumber.  

Sounds awful from the previews. Apparently there's literally no point to the battles lol, coins dont get you anything. No leveling up/RPG mechanics to be had. 

Paper Mario was always overrated but Nintendo really drove it into the ground. 

2 hours ago, Twinblade said:

I admit I haven't played a paper mario game in years but Im still hoping this is a return to form for that series. I feel like they've always been in the shadow of the Mario & Luigi games, which have always done a better job of nailing the RPG mechanics.

Mario and Luigi specifically bowsers inside story shits on every paper Mario. Wtf was Nintendo thinking canceling that series.

And this game will be shit. 

22 minutes ago, Delita said:

Mario and Luigi specifically bowsers inside story shits on every paper Mario. Wtf was Nintendo thinking canceling that series.

And this game will be shit. 

I liked more Superstar Saga and Partners in Time more but yeah, that series was so good. It's sad Alphadream is dead. :(

3 hours ago, lostfool said:

It's a 40 hour game and you twits are basing your stupid opinions on a 2 minute trailer.  You are just as dumb as the people who assume the plot of a movie just on a trailer.  Well actually dumber.  

You're the dumbest for not being a Lemming. :smug:

Man the sheep on resetera are seriously something else. Half the people are jumping through hoops defending the retarded design choices at all costs, the other half are giving legit critiques about it while saying they’re still going to buy it, and wondering why Nintendo won’t make another TTYD. I wonder why.

Most brainwashed fanbase indeed