Open Club  ·  22 members  ·  Rules

All Things Politics

Militarized agents being sent to Chicago...

:trump:

DHS is slated to send about 150 Homeland Security Investigations agents to Chicago to help local law enforcement deal with a spike in crime, according to an official with direct knowledge of the plans who spoke on condition of anonymity because the official wasn’t authorized to speak publicly.

The agents, which are generally used to conduct investigations into human trafficking, drugs and weapons smuggling, were expected to stay in Chicago at least two months, according to the official. It’s not clear exactly how they will back up local law enforcement or when they will arrive, but they will make arrests for federal crimes, not local ones.

I don't know how that works, because they were supposedly using Border Patrol to enter the cities, but Chicago, the city proper, is at least 200 miles from the closest borderline (which is east of it).

I thought the only reason why they could step foot in Portland was because its within 100 miles of the border or coastline.

9 minutes ago, jehurey said:

I don't know how that works, because they were supposedly using Border Patrol to enter the cities, but Chicago, the city proper, is at least 200 miles from the closest borderline (which is east of it).

I thought the only reason why they could step foot in Portland was because its within 100 miles of the border or coastline.

I mean doing things legally isn't exactly this administration's MO. I assume they'll probably use some obscure national security loophole to do it. 

16 minutes ago, jehurey said:

I've been reading it's a mixture of CBP, ICE, US Marshalls, and Federal Bureau of Prisons officers.

1 hour ago, Twinblade said:

The only thing that can save Chicago at this point is republican leadership.

And what changes will a republican leader bring to “save” Chicago? I can’t even tell if you’re trolling or just being naive. It took your republican cult leader 140k+ American deaths to put on a god damn mask. So I’m excited to hear this. 

Edited by nitric

Basic law and order. It’s no coincidence that the most violent cities are democrat run. They treat their police forces terribly & don’t give them the resources necessary to do their jobs (now more so than other). On top of that their laws and policies are too soft on criminals, so many constantly get off with slaps on the wrists despite having rap sheets multiple pages long. Things continue to get worse (look at the surge in violent crime in most of these cities) yet instead of doing something about it they’re pandering to the left and working on defunding their already stretched thin police forces.....people bitch about trump’s handling of covid (rightfully so in some cases) but completely forget about the people bleeding out in the streets from gunshot wounds because their mayors don’t give a shit.

13 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Basic law and order. It’s no coincidence that the most violent cities are democrat run. They treat their police forces terribly & don’t give them the resources necessary to do their jobs (now more so than other). On top of that their laws and policies are too soft on criminals, so many constantly get off with slaps on the wrists despite having rap sheets multiple pages long. Things continue to get worse (look at the surge in violent crime in most of these cities) yet instead of doing something about it they’re pandering to the left and working on defunding their already stretched thin police forces.....people bitch about trump’s handling of covid (rightfully so in some cases) but completely forget about the people bleeding out in the streets from gunshot wounds because their mayors don’t give a shit.

you are basing this on archaic data (according to the fbi) and assumptions. show me examples of republicans doing a better job in those respective cites. 

39 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Higher population density=higher crime rate. That's just how things work.

28 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Hard on crime tactics is like trying to kill the weeds by just cutting off the stem rather than plucking from the root.

Ghettos are basically festering wounds from the jim crow era/war on drugs...

4 minutes ago, Ike said:

And the absolute racist and shitty "war on drugs" was started by a Republican specifically to target minority communities.

yeah, that's the problem. many focus on current issues, but fail to focus on how they originated. this is why i hate debates over big cities/minorities/crime. you would have to go back more than 50 years to get a proper outline. 

• Upvote 1