I bought 2 UE Boom2 speakers off eBay for 110 bucks

How big is this?  The specs say its 1.2 pounds.

Just today, I finally got my Samsung HW-Q70T 3.1.2 Soundbar and Subwoofer. And it came bundled with wireless rear speakers (not actually wireless, they are both wired to a receiver module that received the Surround Left and Surround Right signal wireless from the soundbar.

And it dawned on me..........these are not real Home Theater speakers. These are PC speakers.

I got a pair of M-Audio AV40 bookshelf speakers on my computer, and not a single speaker on this $500+ Samsung Soundbar and Rear Speaker system could deliver as much power as one of my AV40's.

I'm going to return all of this back, immediately. I can't justify this being $500. I have some old speakers (like probably made in the late 90's) from this company called "Mirage" they were manufactured in California, and apparently they sell on ebay for about $100 each speaker, used. I won an auction like 6 years ago for a whole 5 speaker set for $70.  I'm probably going to redirect the $500 on a real A/V Receiver, hopefully a Denon receiver that has eARC and Dolby Atmos.

And then slowly buy Klipsch speakers later on to get the authentic Atmos height speakers.

2 minutes ago, Cooke (not admin cant help said:

They are about 8 inches tall and a little more than 1lb. They sound really good.

I think modern speaker tech allows for greater efficiency because they use lighter "space-age" materials that can deliver oomph while being lightweight.

But give me a heavy magnet inside a heavy dense wood enclosure, anytime.

god-dd-damn, I ended up dropping $570 on a proper Denon AV Receiver. It is almost evened out by that $515 I spent on that Samsung sound bar home theater bundle that I am going to return back.

And that's me using store coupons and store rewards to knock the AV receiver down from $650. I'll use some nice old 5.1 speakers for now, and hope that the Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization sounds good enough for now. Later on down the road, I can take my time and buy Klipsch speakers whenever they go on sale or clearance.

But this AV Receiver is fucking future-proofed for anything I'll throw at it for the next 5-10 years, I made damn sure of that. but godddamn, I wasn't expecting to pay that much.

12 hours ago, jehurey said:

god-dd-damn, I ended up dropping $570 on a proper Denon AV Receiver. It is almost evened out by that $515 I spent on that Samsung sound bar home theater bundle that I am going to return back.

And that's me using store coupons and store rewards to knock the AV receiver down from $650. I'll use some nice old 5.1 speakers for now, and hope that the Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization sounds good enough for now. Later on down the road, I can take my time and buy Klipsch speakers whenever they go on sale or clearance.

But this AV Receiver is fucking future-proofed for anything I'll throw at it for the next 5-10 years, I made damn sure of that. but godddamn, I wasn't expecting to pay that much.

I'm still using the same Yamaha receiver I bought from future shop boxing sale in 2004 lol

On 2020-07-22 at 8:48 AM, jehurey said:

lmfao what?

You buy  a mid-range receiver and pair it up with some shitty old speakers.

How is that any different from buying an all around budget surround system in a box?

2 minutes ago, MalaXmaS said:

lmfao what?

You buy  a mid-range receiver and pair it up with some shitty old speakers.

How is that any different from buying an all around budget surround system in a box?

LOL, its funny that you're in this thread during this particular time.

I can always upgrade speakers..................I can never upgrade the sound bar.

ANd I've researched those speakers, they're not bad for their age.  They just need wattage, and a good AV receiver will be able to deliver that to each channel.

1 minute ago, jehurey said:

LOL, its funny that you're in this thread during this particular time.

I can always upgrade speakers..................I can never upgrade the sound bar.

ANd I've researched those speakers, they're not bad for their age.  They just need wattage, and a good AV receiver will be able to deliver that to each channel.

Uhmm what?

You mean, the receiver, and yes you can!

You can hook up a set of good quality speakers with a crappy receiver and then you can upgrade to a much better receiver.

And I don't know if you are aware but the point of Dolby Atmos is to have 7.1 so 5.1 is NOT going to give you the Atmos experience.

6 minutes ago, MalaXmaS said:

Uhmm what?

You mean, the receiver, and yes you can!

You can hook up a set of good quality speakers with a crappy receiver and then you can upgrade to a much better receiver.

And I don't know if you are aware but the point of Dolby Atmos is to have 7.1 so 5.1 is NOT going to give you the Atmos experience.

Yes it will.........if you get a receiver with Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization.

Which no average AV receiver will have. Or else I would've settled on something like a Sony STR-DH790 receiver for about $300.

Some reviewers even say that Height Virtualization is as good as discreet Atmos (speaker bouncing sound off the ceiling). Some people say that the height speakers sound too gimmicky and too loud and too focused in one specific listening area, and prefer softer elevated sounds that have a larger listening area. So that's a decent place to start without buying and installing height speakers.

Eventually, I have a receiver that will be able to do 5.1.2 when I buy more speakers. But I can do Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization immediately.

I needed something that has genuine eARC, not regular ARC..............I have a 2019 LG OLED with genuine 2.1 HDMI ports, and eARC to pass along lossless Dolby Atmos. Which is why I wanted to have a receiver with genuine Dolby Atmos capability along with eARC.

1 hour ago, jehurey said:

Yes it will.........if you get a receiver with Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization.

Which no average AV receiver will have. Or else I would've settled on something like a Sony STR-DH790 receiver for about $300.

Some reviewers even say that Height Virtualization is as good as discreet Atmos (speaker bouncing sound off the ceiling). Some people say that the height speakers sound too gimmicky and too loud and too focused in one specific listening area, and prefer softer elevated sounds that have a larger listening area. So that's a decent place to start without buying and installing height speakers.

Eventually, I have a receiver that will be able to do 5.1.2 when I buy more speakers. But I can do Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization immediately.

I needed something that has genuine eARC, not regular ARC..............I have a 2019 LG OLED with genuine 2.1 HDMI ports, and eARC to pass along lossless Dolby Atmos. Which is why I wanted to have a receiver with genuine Dolby Atmos capability along with eARC.

How big is your room.

I need to uograde from my 2006 Yamaha htr

Just now, MalaXmaS said:

How big is your room.

I need to uograde from my 2006 Yamaha htr

Not very big, 15 x 20 ft.

But for the viewing area, it'd be even smaller something like 10 x 15ft. And that's the thing, Dolby Atmos is meant to create like a half-spherical dome of audio that surrounds you.

I got a 55" LG OLED, so that alone dictates what my viewing area would be. And I almost never sit further than 8 to 10 ft from my televisions anyway.

3 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Not very big, 15 x 20 ft.

But for the viewing area, it'd be even smaller something like 10 x 15ft. And that's the thing, Dolby Atmos is meant to create like a half-spherical dome of audio that surrounds you.

I got a 55" LG OLED, so that alone dictates what my viewing area would be. And I almost never sit further than 8 to 10 ft from my televisions anyway.

I sit at about 7.5 feet from my 55" XBR.

I bought a set of speaker stands that I put on my back.

I have to be literally next to them to hear something but videogame sound tech is not that good with dolby or dts.

Some games have good location sound like Death Stranding but most of them are 2.1 coded.