American muscle cars have gone up in price in the last year.

5 minutes ago, Ike said:

Cars are one of the best investments around, especially classic cars.

I am talking about brand new cars not classic cars.

Even normal demand cars like v8s have gone up in price.

Are dealers adding some sort of hidden interest value to cars now?

Take this special edition WRX Sti that Subaru is releasing, for 80k. 

8 minutes ago, MalaXmaS said:

I am talking about brand new cars not classic cars.

Even normal demand cars like v8s have gone up in price.

Are dealers adding some sort of hidden interest value to cars now?

Take this special edition WRX Sti that Subaru is releasing, for 80k. 

Could just be a supply/demand price increase. More people are buying cars now due to wanting to forego public transportation due to the pandemic. Also, the supply/production chain might be interrupted which is driving up prices.

On the Ford website, a GT Fastback starts at $35,880.

Which is always never attainable because of destination charges and other bullshit that the dealer wants to add-on, but back in 2015, the starting price wouldn't have been much different, probably starting at $33K

I was able to get the price to $55K by selecting the Premium Fastback, and selecting the most expensive upgrade option for interior, engine, tires and brakes, lighting, accents and ornaments, stereo, etc.

So if car dealerships are selling them way over MSRP, that has to be with supply and demand.

52 minutes ago, Ike said:

huh? you lose a bunch of value just driving off the lot. the best advice i've gotten (and use):

1. lease your cars

2. own your property

a lot of americans do it backwards. and it's dumb af. 

53 minutes ago, Ike said:

lmfao This is the first time I've ever heard this. They literally lose value the minute you leave the lot and it drops from there. Investments make you money, not lose it. 

1 minute ago, Ike said:

Classic cars, I should've been more specific. :happysad:

The factory line autos, no. But most of the super cars that are out are probably going to be worth more later.

Yeah, which is exactly what I fucking said.

12 minutes ago, -GD- said:

huh? you lose a bunch of value just driving off the lot. the best advice i've gotten (and use):

1. lease your cars

2. own your property

a lot of americans do it backwards. and it's dumb af. 

Would leasing cars be more efficient than finding and buying the best used cars for you dollar?

Obviously, always leasing cars means that you are living your life while still always having nice things.

But in terms of smart-frugality, buying solid used cars, driving them for X amount of years and then selling them off and finding another used car might save you more over the long term. Still, you'd have to factor in how good you are at researching and shopping for used cars.

1 minute ago, jehurey said:

Would leasing cars be more efficient than finding and buying the best used cars for you dollar?

Obviously, always leasing cars means that you are living your life while still always having nice things.

But in terms of smart-frugality, buying solid used cars, driving them for X amount of years and then selling them off and finding another used car might save you more over the long term. Still, you'd have to factor in how good you are at researching and shopping for used cars.

used cars have the potential to break down. all of those repair bills add up. 

Lease your car if you can write it off; otherwise you'll end up having to pay for any additional mileage over the limit placed on the vehicle, and still won't own the car afterwards.

If not, buy used, and do your research; you'll pay a fair price for a vehicle that will be: reliable, hold it's value, and that you like. 

And you should be looking for a vehicle in that order.

9 minutes ago, -GD- said:

used cars have the potential to break down. all of those repair bills add up. 

They do, but also factor in the insurance savings of owning your own car, and with a lease you are required to have Comp/Collision on it and they usually require high liability limits on your policy.

Plus the average auto lease monthly payment, nationwide average, is about $487. And then the insurance on top of that. And then after the term ends, like Teh-D said, there's no money coming back your way because you didn't own anything.

I guess I'd have to break down the numbers to see what a "certified" used auto would cost, something thats not older than 5 years old, to see if its any different.

Just now, jehurey said:

They do, but also factor in the insurance savings of owning your own car, and with a lease you are required to have Comp/Collision on it and they usually require high liability limits on your policy.

Plus the average auto lease monthly payment, nationwide average, is about $487. And then the insurance on top of that. And then after the term ends, like Teh-D said, there's no money coming back your way because you didn't own anything.

I guess I'd have to break down the numbers to see what a "certified" used auto would cost, something thats not older than 5 years old, to see if its any different.

only a moron would drive around without adequate comp/collision. i have more than is required. so that's a pointless excuse, unless one is an uninsured low life. my insurance is like $1,200 a year, which is nothing. 

as for leases being $487...LOL. that's $50,000 material. a $35,000 toyota tacoma can be negotiated down to $350 a month, with 0 down (free gap and maintenance)

i mean...if one is determined to buy a vehicle, i'd say pick a barely used  toyota or honda because they hold their value well. hyundai and kia, while making competitive vehicles, have terrible resale vale. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, -GD- said:

only a moron would drive around without adequate comp/collision. i have more than is required. so that's a pointless excuse, unless one is an uninsured low life. my insurance is like $1,200 a year, which is nothing. 

as for leases being $487...LOL. that's $50,000 material. a $35,000 toyota tacoma can be negotiated down to $350 a month, with 0 down (free gap and maintenance)

i mean...if one is determined to buy a vehicle, i'd say pick a barely used  toyota or honda because they hold their value well. hyundai and kia, while making competitive vehicles, have terrible resale vale. 

2013 Camry, only 149Km's/87K Miles. :smug:

It's only gone down about $1500-$2000 since it was purchased (in 2016). :monosmug:

38 minutes ago, Ike said:

Classic cars, I should've been more specific. :happysad:

The factory line autos, no. But most of the super cars that are out are probably going to be worth more later.

A classic car buy is pretty pointless too as an investment. If you had the car when before it became valuable, yes. But buying a valuable classic car in hopes of flipping only makes sense if you have the money to burn and wont use the car much. It's definitely not a good investment idea. 

I had a Caamro SS, 2013. It was a 1SS with no frills, cloth seats, no special options just the big ole' V8.

the car depreciated to 1/2 the value when i sold it. It just wasn't worth it. 

Especially considering it was a 6 or 7 month a year ride here in canada (snow) and I would never drive it in winter.

you're better off with a 4x4. these are niche cars, that';s why you only see some old grandpa riding around in one. he's the only one with the money to support 2 vehicles for all seasons