American muscle cars have gone up in price in the last year.

4 minutes ago, Teh_Diplomat said:

2013 Camry, only 149Km's/87K Miles. :smug:

It's only gone down about $1500-$2000 since it was purchased (in 2016). :monosmug:

the camry is a great car and it will always have insane resale value. 

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, -GD- said:

only a moron would drive around without adequate comp/collision. i have more than is required. so that's a pointless excuse, unless one is an uninsured low life. my insurance is like $1,200 a year, which is nothing. 

as for leases being $487...LOL. that's $50,000 material. a $35,000 toyota tacoma can be negotiated down to $350 a month, with 0 down (free gap and maintenance)

i mean...if one is determined to buy a vehicle, i'd say pick a barely used  toyota or honda because they hold their value well. hyundai and kia, while making competitive vehicles, have terrible resale vale. 

If you own your own used car, you don't need to have any comp and collision, only Liability and Property Damage (to other vehicles) as is required by law.

With the mentality that you are buying a used car with the idea that, after X amount of years you can just get rid of it for whatever you can sell it for, you can decide if buying Comp/Collision is worth it to you.

For example, if you have a used car and you get hail damage and some dents, its not really worth it to file a claim.

Unless you may legitimately be a reckless drive that has a considerable above-average chance of getting into a car wreck, or live in a flood zone, or a high theft zone, then I'd say that getting Comp and Collision would be an absolute must. But chances are, insurance companies would also know this and are charging you alot more than the average person.

2 minutes ago, Teh_Diplomat said:

Driving that around Montreal traffic and their potholes/artillery craters? :holeup:

It was fine for where i live. car was a beast especially back in the day after transformers hype. instant celebrity status everywhere I went. :bow: 

Chevy :bow: 

Edited by Bodycount N
4 minutes ago, jehurey said:

If you own your own used car, you don't need to have any comp and collision, only Liability and Property Damage (to other vehicles) as is required by law.

With the mentality that you are buying a used car with the idea that, after X amount of years you can just get rid of it for whatever you can sell it for, you can decide if buying Comp/Collision is worth it to you.

For example, if you have a used car and you get hail damage and some dents, its not really worth it to file a claim.

Unless you may legitimately be a reckless drive that has a considerable above-average chance of getting into a car wreck, or live in a flood zone, or a high theft zone, then I'd say that getting Comp and Collision would be an absolute must. But chances are, insurance companies would also know this and are charging you alot more than the average person.

i mean, if you are driving a beat up, cheap pos, then you don't need comp and collision. otherwise, you really should have it. 

also, the kind of car you are talking about will lack dependability. i don't want to break down on the highway. been there, done that. never again. 

6 minutes ago, Liquid said:

I really dont see the point of owning your car anyway unless you bought it preowned. Like yeah, after like 10 or 12 years you now own an old car. Great? Like how many people actually drive the same care for 15-20 years? 

Apparently, alot of auto manufacturers had some financial downturn because they built cars with engines and drivetrains that could last 10 years and coming out of the 2008 recession, people held on to their 2004's/2005's for a few more years.

Yeah nobody would hold onto a car for 15-20 unless they bought some amazing unique car.

But, if we're talking about being practical in your frugality, if you know what to shop for, you can absolutely buy a used car that has an engine and drivetrain that can still go for about 4-6 years more.

So, I wouldn't buy a 5 year old used American car, but I'd consider buying a 5-year old Euro or Japanese car (even though those Japanese cars are technically being assembled in America now).

1 hour ago, jehurey said:

Would leasing cars be more efficient than finding and buying the best used cars for you dollar?

Obviously, always leasing cars means that you are living your life while still always having nice things.

But in terms of smart-frugality, buying solid used cars, driving them for X amount of years and then selling them off and finding another used car might save you more over the long term. Still, you'd have to factor in how good you are at researching and shopping for used cars.

You lease cars with shit reliability and great depreceation like your typical BMW 7 series, Mercedes C-Class or Audi A8.

You only buy cars that are built well, like a Camry or Civic and you know will last a long time.

• Upvote 1
45 minutes ago, Liquid said:

I really dont see the point of owning your car anyway unless you bought it preowned. Like yeah, after like 10 or 12 years you now own an old car. Great? Like how many people actually drive the same care for 15-20 years? 

lmfao wtf.

Pre-owned cars are the worst kind of cars to buy.

There's nothing more re-assuring that buying your own car brand new so you know how well taken care was.

17 hours ago, MalaXmaS said:

Back in 15 up to 18, you could get a Mustang GT brand new, or the Camaro SS for 35k.

Now them shits have gone up to 50k.

You have to pay $35k to get a fast Hyundai now.

Bullshit.  The manual GT starts at 35k and automatic starts out at 37k.  The Camaro SS starts at 37k.  Also a brand new fully loaded Veloster N is 29k.  

Edited by lostfool