Open Club  ·  22 members  ·  Rules

All Things Politics

Crime in Chicago plummets after over 500 extra cops are deployed to city's most violent areas

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8565599/Chicago-Police-Violence-drops-2-new-units-rolled-out.html

There has been a reduction in homicides and shooting incidents in Chicago since the city's police force launched two units aimed at specifically combating gun violence and ensuring protests and other large events don't devolve into chaos, police said Monday.

Chicago Police Superintendent David Brown said 'tenuous progress' has been made in the department's efforts to stem gun violence. 

There were three homicides over the weekend compared to 12 and eight the previous two weekends and 17 over the July Fourth weekend, Brown said at a news conference.

You mean to tell me more police = less crime? No way.....something must clearly be wrong here. 

While Chicago's murder rate had been falling in recent years, there were 116 murders over the 28 days through July 19, an increase of nearly 200% compared with the same period in 2019, police department data shows. 

Jesus.. 116 murders in 4 weeks? Vancouver had 10 murders in all of 2019.. Yes it's a smaller city but the per capita rate is insanely high in chicago. Yeah defund the police, that's really going to help. 

1 hour ago, Hot Sauce said:

70 shootings last weekend to 59 this weekend isn't plummetting, but hopefully it's a trend that will continue.

Also $1.6 billion annual budget? :monkas:

That seems about right.. Ours is 314 million. And Vancouver has only 600k people.  Chicago is 5x bigger 

2 minutes ago, Cooke (not admin cant help said:

That seems about right.. Ours is 314 million. And Vancouver has only 600k people.  Chicago is 5x bigger 

Toronto is bigger than Chicago and has a police budget of $820-million USD.

3 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

Toronto is bigger than Chicago and has a police budget of $820-million USD.

Less gang warfare maybe?

7 year old black girl got killed less than a mile away from where I live in drive by shooting. Now people are coming up with conspiracy theories saying that they are planned killings so that the police doesn't get defunded. But kids and people getting shot up here in the ghetto is a regular occurrence. I'm sick of all these politicians with their bullshit about the masks and sending undercover cops to parking lots to see who takes off the mask after leaving the store but they still don't try to resolve problems in these neighborhoods.

49 minutes ago, Cooke (not admin cant help said:

Less gang warfare maybe?

Isn't the point of that spending to curb it, though? It's one thing to spend twice as much on your police, it's another to be spending twice as much on your police and still have eight times the murder rate.

Toronto probably isn't the best comparison because it never had the gang problems to begin with, sure, but look at what NYC and LA have done in the last 30 years. Those two and Chicago all had roughly the same murder rate 30 years ago and each of the 3 saw sharp declines in murder rate through the 90s and early 2000s, but Chicago stalled while LA and NYC became some of the safest cities of their size in the world. LA spends 32% less per capita on police than Chicago and has a 70% lower murder rate, while NYC spends about the same per capita on police as Chicago and has an 86% lower murder rate.

I don't know the solution and maybe Chicago does end up on fire if you start cutting into the police budget, but I find it hard to believe that Chicago's problems are a lack of police funding.

3 hours ago, Hot Sauce said:

Isn't the point of that spending to curb it, though? It's one thing to spend twice as much on your police, it's another to be spending twice as much on your police and still have eight times the murder rate.

Toronto probably isn't the best comparison because it never had the gang problems to begin with, sure, but look at what NYC and LA have done in the last 30 years. Those two and Chicago all had roughly the same murder rate 30 years ago and each of the 3 saw sharp declines in murder rate through the 90s and early 2000s, but Chicago stalled while LA and NYC became some of the safest cities of their size in the world. LA spends 32% less per capita on police than Chicago and has a 70% lower murder rate, while NYC spends about the same per capita on police as Chicago and has an 86% lower murder rate.

I don't know the solution and maybe Chicago does end up on fire if you start cutting into the police budget, but I find it hard to believe that Chicago's problems are a lack of police funding.

Well there's only one way to find out. DEFUND THE POLICE :wrists:

Instead Chicago should just spend even more money so police can sleep and be on their phones while crimes happen in front of them.  :wrists:

If only other occupations got rewarded with budget increases for having staff that are incompetent 

www.chicagotribune.com/politics/ct-chicago-police-looting-popcorn-20200611-je3afw3lxbhknicv37ijnncgkq-story.html

Edited by Delita
4 hours ago, roflpwnedz said:

7 year old black girl got killed less than a mile away from where I live in drive by shooting. Now people are coming up with conspiracy theories saying that they are planned killings so that the police doesn't get defunded. But kids and people getting shot up here in the ghetto is a regular occurrence. I'm sick of all these politicians with their bullshit about the masks and sending undercover cops to parking lots to see who takes off the mask after leaving the store but they still don't try to resolve problems in these neighborhoods.

Conspiracy theories aside, Police groups around the country including here in NYC have publicly made calls to not do their jobs anytime they come under fire in a big way with the intention penalizing the public. 

16 hours ago, Liquid said:

Conspiracy theories aside, Police groups around the country including here in NYC have publicly made calls to not do their jobs anytime they come under fire in a big way with the intention penalizing the public. 

yep

Just now, Ike said:

Portland turned into a hellscape last night with raping and murders after the feds left.

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/local/protests/oregon-state-police-to-step-in-for-federal-officers-at-portland-protests/283-19c8fc98-5be1-479e-a9f3-07eb76000450

Nah, just playing. It was peaceful and nothing happened.

Yeah because they were replaced by regular police.....but if you took both out of the equation the city would obviously fall apart.

Just now, Twinblade said:

Yeah because they were replaced by regular police.....but if you took both out of the equation the city would obviously fall apart.

No one wants to get rid of the police. Defund the police =/= abolish the police. :|

4 minutes ago, Ike said:

No one wants to get rid of the police. Defund the police =/= abolish the police. :|

Both would result in increased crime and anarchy....i certainly wouldn’t want to live in a city that’s slashing its police budget. It’s unfortunate to think about all the people who will end up dying because of the democratic leaders who will cave in to the rioters and their demands.

Just now, Twinblade said:

Both would result in increased crime and anarchy....i certainly wouldn’t want to live in a city that’s slashing its police budget. It’s unfortunate to think about all the people who will end up dying because of the democratic leaders who will cave in to the rioters and their demands.

Why do police units need military vehicles and equipment? Especially in small units in bumfuck areas? 

And last time I checked 150k Americans are dead because of GOP leadership and Trump is still president. You're already buying that BS he's spewing that this somehow gonna be Biden's American when it's happening now in Trump's America.

1 hour ago, Twinblade said:

Oh look, a logical fallacy!