Finally beat FFVII Remake (Full spoilers) - Thoughts

I have to admit I'm a big fan of the original, played it though many times, can tell you most of the story of the original easily, I can remember most of the soundtrack etc. I have damn fond memories of it. Game was class. Skip forward 23 years and here we are. I would of liked to have beaten it at the same time as the rest of you so we could have discussed, the OT is long dead. 

So yeah, no real problem with the game until you go back up shinra tower (Chap 15), the odd niggle here and there. Sometimes there was too much filler. Im glad they never get that SOLDIER much screen time because he was poorly written and overall weak. Wall market was overall good, although I was pretty stunned by the whole dance routine. Not saying it was good or bad particularly, just....shocking. Upto the plate collapse I would say the game was sitting at a 9/10. 

Then the plate collapse, things start going down hill. Why and how the hell did biggs (and later wedge :|) survive that? What was originally a shocking moment in the original was very much dampened with bullshit in this. And then why do you go through a secret lab underneath sector 7? That was peak of the 'filler' for me. 

I picked the game back up after 45 days (renovated my living room in between, no PS4) when you go up the plate. I couldn't be bothered with the final side quests after the long lay off. Everything about the final few chapters was far too tampered with and much worse. Shinra tower was OK, not great, they took the option of the stairs or fight your way in away, I didn't like that. Then you hang out in a massive atrium of this huge company, on your own, while Tifa swings around on lights? No one around? OK.  

I remember the 10 floors of shinra HQ to be an interested section. Here you got 4 floors and then a way too drawn out Hojo lab section. Hojo's writing was particularly weak, to the point where he might as well be a James Bond Villain from the 1960's. They cut out the capture and prison sequence. They then fuck up the president scenes IMO, it felt soulless compared to the original. Rufus' clothes look fucking stupid. 

Then the final chapter. I didn't like the whispers really throughout the game, I just kinda assumed it has something to do with Sephiroth. But no. These evil flying cloaks actually represent fate, and for the final chapter you go into a bizzarro world where you fight them and apparently rip up the script fr the game so essentially anything can now happen? 

spacer.png

Oh and the final fight with Sephiroth...I was glad that they kept remake quite grounded in reality, ie, cloud wasn't doing silly shit, randomly flying through the air advent children style (which is garbage of course). But yet, during the final half an hour of the game, he does this? I'm not saying I hated it, but in the original, Sephiroth was slowly built up to be this badass, evil motherfucker who gave you the sense of being in complete control and that he could whoop your ass whenever he wanted too. And yet, already we've had the big advent children style fight. 

Overall, good, not great, nowhere near the original. Will still definitely buy and hype part 2. /rant

Edited by Cell
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, Twinblade said:

Game was great but the KH bullshit towards the end was definitely excessive. I also found the Shinra HQ to be disappointing, it goes on for way too long and lacks the atmospheric, almost horror-like vibe from the original.

Yeah I agree I've just got an overall salty take on it because I've just beaten it and shock, its not as good as a beloved 23 year old game. Definitely right about Shinra tower though, if they pulled it off this game could of been a legit 10/10, instead it started dropping off towards the end. 

On an unrelated note I forgot to say, Tifa was sexy AF. I normally laugh at people who think that about pixelated video game characters......but theres something about them pixels this time. :ben:

Just now, Cell said:

Yeah I agree I've just got an overall salty take on it because I've just beaten it and shock, its not as good as a beloved 23 year old game. Definitely right about Shinra tower though, if they pulled it off this game could of been a legit 10/10, instead it started dropping off towards the end. 

On an unrelated note I forgot to say, Tifa was sexy AF. I normally laugh at people who think that about pixelated video game characters......but theres something about them pixels this time. :ben:

Jessie > Tifa :aitch:

I'll take the bullshit for more FFVII remake but I dont understand why they felt the need to do that shit to the story. And the further I get from completing it, the less I like it. Nobody asked for or wanted them to mess with the source material too much

Is this shitty story telling something that Japanese fans love or something? Because pretty much everybody in the West thinks of Nomura stories as pure trash tier

Also they went full Advent Children at the end. Why have I been walking through these giant reactors if Cloud can just slice them in half?

Edited by Voidler
  • Like 1

Best part of the game was the actual gameplay. If they build on that and have fantasy setting and story in 16, that’s gonna be incredible. :aitch:

I skipped all the chapter 14 side missions. I just didn’t really care and don’t feel I lost much not doing them.