Jeff Grubb: Xbox Live Gold going away; multiplayer to be free.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ah I see, so they're just doing what Sony is doing now. It's a good move, but it took them too long. 

They're using their deep pockets to force Sony into an uncomfortable position.

Sony can't, Xbox can and will outlast all of them. No one has the available capital or infrastructure to follow them.    We're talking a company worth 15x Nintendo and Sony combined. There's

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

Live makes three billion a year, it would be insane if they removed the need for it. Live is the main money maker on consoles for MS, if you take out Live then their console business becomes redundant. 

Well, engagement is far more important overall.  They need to get more players into their ecosystem.  The lower the barrier to entry, the more people will use it and ultimately spend money on it.  That's how free to play games make all their money.

MS is obviously positioning themselves and focusing on those kinds of games.  If you look at what they've been doing, a lot of it is trying to offset the losses they'll incur for making the switch to that kind of a model.  They have PC market now which will be bringing in more money than ever before.  They have Gamepass.. and xCloud is coming.  Every single one of those is attempting to remove the barrier to entry into MS games and their ecosystem... so that they can make moves like this which undoubtedly puts pressure on their competitors.  They're basically pushing to compete in ways that their competitors really can't afford to.  And they can do it because they are a huge company where Xbox is a drop in the wind.

Hey, that money I was spending on Live before... fuck it.. why not just switch it to a Gamepass sub and get tons of access to games and all the current MS output?  All of a sudden a chunk of those people who no longer pay for Live, see value in Gamepass and MS will continue to get that money.  Both $10 a month in fact..

It's definitely a play... one that is absolutely costing them money.. but they see a bigger picture.

6 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

All that stuff was already known and said before Grubb stated that "no he thinks it means complete removal of online paywall for MP"

It's all very confusing and not really clear at this point so it's hard to say.  I guess we'll know soon enough.  And Tom Warren was hinting at it being real.. so I guess we'll find out in August.

7 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

Really makes me curious what Sony's next gen strategy for services will be.

Their strategy is probably going to be improving the value proposition of PSNow.. probably with fully emulated games from their entire catalog.  Probably bundle in some other perks and discounts for subscribers on the PS store to improve engagement.  They're beginning to embrace PC with their games, so they could have a service on PC to access their games for a cheap price, once they get enough titles available.  I can see them working with 3rd parties on that.  Possibly working with Epic on stuff meant to lessen any risks involved in bringing titles to PC along with a platform for cross-play functionality between them.

They're probably going to consolidate their Cloud based ambitions into their other services.. focus more on Digital sales and improving value for digital goods through their own stores.  I think the entire digital ecosystem is on the verge of reforming our rights as owners of digital goods, which will make a large impact in the near future on digital adoption.. pushing physical out to a small portion of overall sales, and decreasing costs for Sony.

2 hours ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Sony can't, Xbox can and will outlast all of them. No one has the available capital or infrastructure to follow them. 

We're talking a company worth 15x Nintendo and Sony combined. There's no vertical trajectory for Sony, they don't have the means.

Buh Buh buh :cry: 

PlayStation 5 is going to murder series X :D 

Poor sheep talking that online gaming can't be free.

Remember those times in which gaming was actually free?

MS introduced the online fee to bait competition into adapting their same model.

Heck, even Nintendo followed suit and introduced a $20 yearly online fee and they don't give you shit back but a bunch of cheap roms.

Their online infrastructure is still shit.

Sony had PS3 online free and then they took the bait.

Now, MS is basically removing the barrier once again so they could force Sony into doing the same.

MS has realized that Sony is just a reaction company. They don't have the pull to be the innovators. Remember beta? Remember the memory stick? Remember the Minidisc?

Just now, DynamiteCop! said:

If I don't agree with this will I get another reactionary ban?

You only get bans when you deserve them. Learn to follow the rules and you’ll be fine :)

You need free online when you're getting ready to introduce a whole bunch of Games-as-a-service games in which they try to upsell you on GamePass.

There might actually be a Halo Finite in which you pay the $10 to get "In"finite.

Just now, jehurey said:

You need free online when you're getting ready to introduce a whole bunch of Games-as-a-service games in which they try to upsell you on GamePass.

There might actually be a Halo Finite in which you pay the $10 to get "In"finite.

Is that what pushed you into wanting an Xbox for yourself?  Did you know about this beforehand? :wonder: 

3 hours ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Sony can't, Xbox can and will outlast all of them. No one has the available capital or infrastructure to follow them. 

We're talking a company worth 15x Nintendo and Sony combined. There's no vertical trajectory for Sony, they don't have the means.

The Xbox brand is a part of MS, but the Xbox brand is not Microsoft on a whole.   In the end they got into gaming to make money not to constantly bleed it.     

Whatever internal milestones, targets and deadlines they have to meet.... if those aren't met then things can change and change quickly.   

Didn't Phil have to plead with the CEO a couple of years ago for MS to not drop the Xbox brand or something so?  And he sold them on the idea of play anywhere, GP, XCloud etc? If those things don't pan out in the long run, you think MS would think twice about dropping out? 

MS used to be a huge player in the smart phone world, once things went sour for them and they fell too far behind... they pulled out.  

Edited by Goukosan
2 minutes ago, jehurey said:

That you were butthurt?

I think we all knew that beforehand.

No.  That MS was making MP free.  You're a cheapass so it makes perfect sense that that's what pushed you into wanting an Xbox?

It all lines up.

Just now, HALOmij said:

No.  That MS was making MP free.  You're a cheapass so it makes perfect sense that that's what pushed you into wanting an Xbox?

It all lines up.

Already abandoned the attempting Xbox buying tactic and moved onto me being a general "cheapass"?

It does line up.............to you being butthurt.