Jeff Grubb: Xbox Live Gold going away; multiplayer to be free.

9 minutes ago, jehurey said:

You need free online when you're getting ready to introduce a whole bunch of Games-as-a-service games in which they try to upsell you on GamePass.

There might actually be a Halo Finite in which you pay the $10 to get "In"finite.

What makes you think that when there is actually nothing like that right now?

Especially the part in which dlc does not necessarily has to be tied in with an online subscription plan?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ah I see, so they're just doing what Sony is doing now. It's a good move, but it took them too long. 

They're using their deep pockets to force Sony into an uncomfortable position.

Sony can't, Xbox can and will outlast all of them. No one has the available capital or infrastructure to follow them.    We're talking a company worth 15x Nintendo and Sony combined. There's

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, MalaXmaS said:

What makes you think that when there is actually nothing like that right now?

Especially the part in which dlc does not necessarily has to be tied in with an online subscription plan?

Well, it'd be pathetic if Microsoft makes you pay a monthly subscription to play Halo Finite, and then it turns out that the MP mode has a whole bunch of microtransactions.

I mean, that might kill the franchise.

15 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Well, it'd be pathetic if Microsoft makes you pay a monthly subscription to play Halo Finite, and then it turns out that the MP mode has a whole bunch of microtransactions.

I mean, that might kill the franchise.

Again.

What makes you think that would be a pathetic move by MS considering current gaming is still tied to a yearly or monthly online fee JUST to play online.

Then you have to factor in the price of the base game which is $60. Even then, you are still getting an incomplete game. So in order for you to get the full experience, you have to pay about $100 or more for the deluxe, limited edition, collector's edition whatever along with the $60 play it online.

MS is trying to cut you a deal so you can get the online and base game for about $100 and you call that pathetic.

That's what they have been doing with gamepass all along.

Now be aware that MS is not only giving you one game but about 200 games with the gamepass fee.

Now I think that separating gamepass from live was a scummish move but seeing as gamepass generated some money, then they will probably bundle both for a reduced price.

If anything, MS is trying to wise up and get a decent chunk of userbase before Sony has to follow suit.

Edited by MalaXmaS
2 minutes ago, MalaXmaS said:

Again.

What makes you think that would be a pathetic move by MS considering current gaming is still tied to a yearly or monthly online fee JUST to play online.

Then you have to factor in the price of the base game which is $60. Even then, you are still getting an incomplete game. So in order for you to get the full experience, you have to pay about $100 or more for the deluxe, limited edition, collector's edition whatever along with the $60 play it online.

MS is trying to cut you a deal so you can get the online and base game for about $100 and you call that pathetic.

If anything, MS is trying to wise up and get a decent chunk of userbase before Sony has to follow suit.

LOL, it doesn't work that way.

If you HAVE TO buy online service, its not ideal, but at least console-only players are used to it.

And its a ONE-and-DONE type of deal. They pay their $60 earlier in the year, and they forget about that purchase. AND the purchase is applicable across any game that has online, so nobody ever sees the $60 XBL Gold purchase as JUST BEING for Halo, right?

But with microtransactions, you can't see it as anything else BUT REPEATED purchases for Halo. So even thought Microsoft is making you pay $10/month, and Halo Single-Player campaign is the only worthwhile game they release for 3-4 months, by that time you already feel as if you've put $40 in GamePass purchases towards Halo Single-Player.

Now you want to play multiplayer, and there's a whole bunch of microtransactions, and SEASONS which will require booster packs (sold in $10 increments).

And for what? to get the same multiplayer you had when you buying the full $60 game.

I think most people would feel better if they got the full SP and MP on Game Pass, and Microsoft simply didn't offer up any new first-party games for 5-6 months, they'd feel like that was more fair in terms of value.

9 hours ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Sony can't, Xbox can and will outlast all of them. No one has the available capital or infrastructure to follow them. 

We're talking a company worth 15x Nintendo and Sony combined. There's no vertical trajectory for Sony, they don't have the means.

Why do you always have to say stupid shit? This is why people laugh at you because you inject pipe dream level nonsense into threads like this.

6 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

Why do you always have to say stupid shit? This is why people laugh at you because you inject pipe dream level nonsense into threads like this.

It's not a pipe dream, it's a forced reality, because they can force this to be a reality no matter which direction things go.

They can keep coming, and coming and coming. 

Just now, DynamiteCop! said:

It's not a pipe dream, it's a forced reality, because they can force this to be a reality no matter which direction things go.

They can keep coming, and coming and coming. 

It's a major pipe dream. 

1 hour ago, Vini said:

lol cows in denial Microsoft has quarter of a trillion dollars they can do whatever they want. 

Yeah, like show their shareholders an ROI on their gaming division.

53 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

Since the kids got the other topic locked Microsoft confirmed earlier that Halo Infinite's multiplayer is indeed free to play. 

This was a pretty bold move, it's going to be really interesting to play console games at 120 FPS. I wasn't ready to buy a new TV but I guess it's nearly time. 

37 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

This was a pretty bold move, it's going to be really interesting to play console games at 120 FPS. I wasn't ready to buy a new TV but I guess it's nearly time. 

I am totally down to a buy a new TV to take advantage of these next gen console features, but I want a bigger TV. I might have to bite the bullet and go LCD instead of OLED this time.

2 hours ago, Teh_Diplomat said:

Yeah, like show their shareholders an ROI on their gaming division.

Nadella only cares about Windows and Surface.

That's a reality. 

The Xbox division is like a pet project to them.

One that has created headaches to Sony.

20 minutes ago, MalaXmaS said:

Nadella only cares about Windows and Surface.

That's a reality. 

The Xbox division is like a pet project to them.

One that has created headaches to Sony.

Rofl, no. Windows is the red headed step child. Azure is Microsoft's bread and butter now. Xbox is just temporary at this point while Nadella has them transform into a service. 

Pretty awesome but to clarify is this saying that Halo MP will be free because you no longer need XBL Gold (meaning you obviously still need to buy Halo or have GP) or is it saying that Halo MP is a F2P proponent, meaning it's like COD Warzone where you do NOT need to own COD modern warfare to play Warzone. 

1 minute ago, madmaltese said:

Pretty awesome but to clarify is this saying that Halo MP will be free because you no longer need XBL Gold (meaning you obviously still need to buy Halo or have GP) or is it saying that Halo MP is a F2P proponent, meaning it's like COD Warzone where you do NOT need to own COD modern warfare to play Warzone. 

No they're saying it's like Warzone a F2P part of the game.