The next Switch may feature DLSS2.0 (or better) support, job ad suggests

https://wccftech.com/nintendo-switch-dlss-2-0/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Wccftechcom+(WCCFtech.com)

According to this new ad, NVIDIA is looking for a Senior Embedded Software Engineer for the Tegra solutions Engineering team to work on "next-generation graphics & AI technologies for gaming consoles and AI edge devices." This new engineer will work on "solutions to use artificial intelligence in graphics technologies like NVIDIA's DLSS 2.0"

The Ad:

We're looking to grow our company, and build our teams with the smartest people in the world. Join us at the forefront of the technological advancement. Are you dedicated, upbeat and multifaceted with excellent analytical ability? Are you a software engineer passionate and highly motivated about solving complex problems? If so, you may be a perfect fit for our group. We are now hiring a Senior Embedded Software Engineer for the Tegra solutions Engineering team to work on next generation graphics & AI technologies for gaming consoles and AI edge devices

What you'll be doing:

• Collaborate with software engineers, architecture teams to craft, develop, test and optimize graphics stacks like Vulkan, OpenGL and other proprietary graphics APIs
  • Collaborate and maintain foundational software technologies for the graphics APIs - like resource management, process scheduling and hardware scheduling
  • Engage directly with customers and support teams to develop and improve their world-class products
  • Work on solutions to use artificial intelligence in graphics technologies like Nvidia's DLSS 2.0
  • Take part in Performance optimization of various SW components of the Tegra graphics and system software stack
  • Communicate optimally with various teams throughout the company, as well as customers and partners

Now obviously it doesn't DIRECTLY suggest that Switch 2 will support DLSS2... but the signs are obvious enough.  I don't think Nvidia will make future GPUs which DON'T support AI and DLSS like technology for graphics... it will be too important in the future.

@HALOmij  it's more than a given.  NVidia updated shield TV which uses the same chip as the Switch got updated to support DLSS2 albeit only for movies of course.   But if they back ported support for the X1... you can bet the next chip will support it for games.

"AI upscaling technology is already available in a Tegra X1-based product - the newly revised Switch Android TV" 

Edited by Goukosan
4 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

@HALOmij  it's more than a given.  NVidia updated shield TV which uses the same chip as the Switch got updated to support DLSS2 albeit only for movies of course.   But if they back ported support for the X1... you can get the next chip will support it for games.

"AI upscaling technology is already available in a Tegra X1-based product - the newly revised Switch Android TV" 

Nah, that's not even close to what DLSS is.  I have a ShieldTV.. the AI upscaling in that is a basic AI based content adaptive sharpening filter.  Similar to RIS from AMD.  Don't get me wrong, it does a good job on a lot of content... but it's a filter over video, not an actual rendering based AI upscaling utilizing temporal data and motion vectors.  There's no tensor cores in the Tegra chip.  It's not running any neural networks.  Just a simple filter.

Edited by HALOmij

I bet you if nVidia offered Nintendo a relatively cheap solution to produce 4K rendering, they'd take it in a heartbeat.

They can have a  handheld that can produce 1080p graphics with maybe some basic raytracing, and then the dock could be where the DLSS processing could take place, assuming they have the bandwidth to do all of that between the handheld and dock.

3 minutes ago, HALOmij said:

Nah, that's not even close to what DLSS.  I have a ShieldTV.. the AI upscaling in that is a basic AI based content adaptive sharpening filter.  Similar to RIS from AMD.  Don't get me wrong, it does a good job on a lot of content... but it's a filter over video, not an actual rendering based AI upscaling utilizing temporal data and motion vectors.

You have this newer tube shield?  The Ai upscaler only works on that version. 

Just now, Goukosan said:

You have this newer tube shield?  The Ai upscaler only works on that version. 

Yep.  You got to remember, it's just processing a video.  It's basically just intelligently sharpening aspects of the image.. which I will fully admit make 1080p look much higher resolution.. but it's not reconstruction at all.

Also, it only works on content which is 30fps (at least currently)

6 minutes ago, jehurey said:

I bet you if nVidia offered Nintendo a relatively cheap solution to produce 4K rendering, they'd take it in a heartbeat.

They can have a  handheld that can produce 1080p graphics with maybe some basic raytracing, and then the dock could be where the DLSS processing could take place, assuming they have the bandwidth to do all of that between the handheld and dock.

It's more like they'll need DLSS to upscale next-gen rendering from 540p to 1080p for a better portable experience. While a 4K dock is possible, it's probably less complex to design the system so they can safely crank up the clockspeeds in docked mode and use DLSS to fill in the gaps to 4K. 

Edited by John Omaha
  • dead 1