Microsoft rebrands Xbox Game Pass to simply Game Pass (Bonus: Thurrott also believes Xbox Live Gold is going away)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the lemmings are retreating     here's the rape hotline, lems:   Call 1-800-656-4673 Available 24 hours everyday

Nothing is changing. ™

That's not working? Are you fucking retarded? Why do you think I offered to sell it TO YOU...   What a flippin moron...

5 hours ago, HALOmij said:

It's not an afterthought... lmfao... It's just simply not the ONLY thought.  MS has bigger ambitions.  Sony's gameplay is release a lot of consoles.  MS' gameplan is release a lot of games bring people into your services no matter which MS platform you play on..

Cmon man.. you don't make a console like the Series X..... as an afterthought... that's just stupid.

:danylol:

19 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Here's the thing: WHY drop the Xbox name, at this point? After all this time?

They wouldn't do that unless they had something in mind.

Yeah, like Xbox is their console and the services and PC fall under the general umbrella of the division. 

GamePass/xCloud isn't Xbox, they are services for Xbox, PC and mobile

PC isn't Xbox

Xbox is Xbox

Edited by DynamiteCop!
40 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Here's the thing: WHY drop the Xbox name, at this point? After all this time?

They wouldn't do that unless they had something in mind.

The Xbox name brings down the quality :troll:

48 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Yeah, like Xbox is their console and the services and PC fall under the general umbrella of the division. 

PC isn't Xbox

Xbox is Xbox

Yea that makes sense.

xCloud is just a project name too at this point, the final name isn't decided and it will be changed when it's fully launched, iirc.. so having their services just be Gamepass and whatever xCloud ends up being named simplifies things.

GamePass for Xbox

GamePass for PC

And xCloud for everything

I do think there's some meaning to simplifying and differentiating the services from the brand though.  Like I said.. if in the future, MS's consoles simply don't sell enough and they don't see the point in developing specialized console hardware, the "box" could go away and MS can continue working on GamePass on PC and various other devices, like Mobile and TV, and even other consoles.  Just looking at it realistically here.  MS is investing a LOT into xCloud and buying developers to create games for their service.  It's not even games for a specific box at this point anymore... it's for the service.  The service can continue to live on even if the console box doesn't.

That's my take on it.

1 hour ago, DynamiteCop! said:

PC isn't Xbox

Xbox is Xbox

Then that means that they intend for GamePass to show up in other places that are not based on Microsoft OS.

2 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Then that means that they intend for GamePass to show up in other places that are not based on Microsoft OS.

No it doesn't, them delineating their services and PC from their console doesn't have any implications other than those you create in your own head.

Edited by DynamiteCop!
Just now, DynamiteCop! said:

No it doesn't, them delineating their services and PC from their console doesn't have any implications other than those you create in your own head.

No...............people don't get confused about a product that only exists on two platforms.

There would be no reason for them to do that.

Especially since they have been telling their PC gamers that they're bringing XBox games and GamePass.

You're the one making up reasons, at this point.

There's NO reason for them to make a clarification on a service that would ONLY exist on two platforms, both of whom they operate.

2 minutes ago, jehurey said:

No...............people don't get confused about a product that only exists on two platforms.

There would be no reason for them to do that.

Especially since they have been telling their PC gamers that they're bringing XBox games and GamePass.

You're the one making up reasons, at this point.

There's NO reason for them to make a clarification on a service that would ONLY exist on two platforms, both of whom they operate.

I don't know how this can be made more clear.

GamePass/xCloud and their games are not only on Xbox so them reneging the name makes sense. It's already implied who it's coming from, the Xbox division, hell the logo is still there. What Microsoft is doing is reestablishing the synonym of Xbox itself around their console again. 

The Series X is the Xbox, it is Xbox. GamePass, xCloud and Xbox Game Studios games for PC are subsets of the division as a whole but are not being branded as Xbox, because they are resigning that back to their console platform. That doesn't have any implication of branching out, doing anything outside of their ecosystem, it doesn't mean anything beyond drawing a line in the sand within their own branding. 

3 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

I don't know how this can be made more clear.

GamePass/xCloud and their games are not only on Xbox so them reneging the name makes sense. It's already implied who it's coming from, the Xbox division, hell the logo is still there. What Microsoft is doing is reestablishing the synonym of Xbox itself around their console again. 

The Series X is the Xbox, it is Xbox. GamePass, xCloud and Xbox Game Studios games for PC are subsets of the division as a whole but are not being branded as Xbox, because they are resigning that back to their console platform. That doesn't have any implication of branching out, doing anything outside of their ecosystem, it doesn't mean anything beyond drawing a line in the sand within their own branding. 

but there is NOTHING exclusive on the console.

The console has NOTHING special about it. They're not making anything special for it.

GamePass is now they're main priority.............it clearly looks like they're cutting the console out, almost as if they're putting it in the background.

This also implies that they are planning to take GamePass places. It definitely means branching out.

Edited by jehurey
1 minute ago, jehurey said:

but there is NOTHING exclusive on the console.

The console has NOTHING special about it. They're not making anything special for it.

GamePass is now they're main priority.............it clearly looks like they're cutting the console out, almost as if they're putting it in the background.

This also implies that they are planning to take GamePass places. It definitely means branching out.

giphy.gif

3 minutes ago, jehurey said:

If I'm wrong.............tell me what they are putting exclusively on that new piece of hardware.

I'll wait.

I mean, I won't wait two years like you apparently will.

Nothing because they're also feeding the PC OS which they own and operate, and that still has zero implication of branching out externally from their own ecosystem. 

Dafuq is wrong with you dude?

Edited by DynamiteCop!
Just now, HALOmij said:

You waited 3 to buy a PS4 :shrug: 

Yeah because they didn't have enough exclusive games to warrant a purchase, and then I learned about a significant hardware revision in February 2016, so instead of buying it around the time of Uncharted 4, I decided to wait a little bit longer.

Or else, I would've bought a PS4 around the time UC4 came out.

1 minute ago, jehurey said:

Yeah because they didn't have enough exclusive games to warrant a purchase, and then I learned about a significant hardware revision in February 2016, so instead of buying it around the time of Uncharted 4, I decided to wait a little bit longer.

Or else, I would've bought a PS4 around the time UC4 came out.

Sure.. but you're not beyond waiting a few years :shrug: 

1 minute ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Nothing because they're also feeding the PC OS which they operate, and that still has zero implication of branching out externally from their own ecosystem. 

Dafuq is wrong with you dude?

No.............you keep on glossing your previous points that contradict you.

It there's NOTHING to be confused about, and the games themselves that headline gamepass are coming from Xbox Game Studios..............there's no reason to drop the "Xbox" brand from GamePass.

WIndows 10 users are NOT CONFUSED about what this is.

This is a sign of them branching GamePass out as its own thing OUTSIDE of a Microsoft OS ecosystem.