Nintendo and their perceived "success" with the Switch

Just now, HALOmij said:

I'm not saying it's not a success... I'm saying it's not THE success that you guys like to think it is... because it's essentially taken over Nintendo's market.

When you guys compare it to traditional consoles like PS4 and XO.... you're comparing a product that serves a much larger overall market of gamers.  And it's that reason why a lot of people call it the "me too" sidekick console...

If Nintendo was TRULY successful they would be selling 50M consoles and about 50M handheld's at this point.  They didn't GROW the market.. they basically just folded them into one another.

Sheep running around acting like this and that... lmao:shrug: 

Bro I think you're legit brain dead.

Nintendo has always served two markets, this isn't something new of them serving two markets. 

Switch is making them more money as one device service two markets than two devices serving two markets. 

You are trying to fault the Switch for being a device that has more mass market appeal than PS4 and Xbox.  That's some dumbass DynamiteCop logic if I've ever seen it myself. :hest:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Motherfuckers had to cannibalize their Handheld market and merge it with their traditional market just to find success.  It's quite clear Switch wouldn't be anywhere close to PS4 numbers, nor even Xbo

hopefully by the end of next gen

Just now, Goukosan said:

You are trying to fault the Switch for being a device that has more mass market appeal than PS4 and Xbox.  

Damn... that makes PS4 and Xbox's numbers even better.

Hey, you said it.  Like I told you... you can't compare them.  One device serves two markets... the others serve one :shrug: 

1 minute ago, HALOmij said:

Damn... that makes PS4 and Xbox's numbers even better.

Hey, you said it.  Like I told you... you can't compare them.  One device serves two markets... the others serve one :shrug: 

All three serves two markets. 

PS4 serves the Console and VR market. 

Xbox serves the Console and PC market. 

Nintendo serves the Console and Handheld Market. 

:lebron:

4 hours ago, lynux3 said:

Sidekick gaming. :rofl:

On 2020-08-06 at 10:42 AM, Goukosan said:

Launch aligned after 61 months;

Switch: 61.44 Million

PS4: 60 Million

Xbox1: :hest:

Operating income this Quarter (Gaming) 

Nintendo: 144.737 billion yen
Sony (gaming division) 124 billion yen

MS: :mickeyj:

:hest:

1 hour ago, Goukosan said:

Sony just announced the biggest profits in gaming history in a non holiday quarter last week. 

A few days later... Nintendo surpassed that. 

Operating income this Quarter (Gaming) 

Nintendo: 144.737 billion yen
Sony (gaming division) 124 billion yen

MS: :mickeyj:

:hest:

Sidekick gaming. :hest:ShovelwareShop :rofls:

26 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

Sony : we just had the best non holiday quarter in gaming history :adhd:

Nintendo : So umm, Sony about that :lebron:

:ANYWORD:

Sony did better considering they're in one market... and Nintendo is in two :tom5: 

Sidekick Shovelshop gaming :hehe: 

3 hours ago, jehurey said:

So by that logic, Sony has also contracted since they used to sell about 90 million PS3s and also 80 million PSPs.

Yeah, obviously if they had an 80 million handheld plus PS4 they would be doing better. But they'd already contracted out of the market with Vita before PS4

23 minutes ago, HALOmij said:

Sony did better considering they're in one market... and Nintendo is in two :tom5: 

Sidekick Shovelshop gaming :hehe: 

1 hour ago, Goukosan said:

All three serves two markets. 

PS4 serves the Console and VR market. 

Xbox serves the Console and PC market. 

Nintendo serves the Console and Handheld Market. 

:lebron:

3 hours ago, Ike said:

Halo being a steaming shit pile really made you a butthurt little bitch huh? :hest:

:grimaceleft: 

Pointing out an obvious fact means I'm butthurt eh?  Says the people bringing up Microsoft and Halo in a Nintendo thread :tom: 

bubu Xbawx and Haloooooowwwwwwww :awww: 

14 hours ago, HALOmij said:

Motherfuckers had to cannibalize their Handheld market and merge it with their traditional market just to find success.  It's quite clear Switch wouldn't be anywhere close to PS4 numbers, nor even Xbox One numbers if they hadn't completely merged their two markets together.

People are literally ignoring that fact.  If the Switch was just a traditional console... it'd be at like maybe 20-25 mil or so :cruise:

After the WiiU's pathetic 14M sales it's clear... Nintendo wasn't ever competing on the traditional market ever again, so they did what they had to do and combined it with their far more successful handheld business.

Perfect formfactor for WiiU ports and indie shovelware.  The handheld market ate it up like Sheep and the old Nintendo faithful bought them for the one or two Zelda/Mario games that release per gen.

What a bullshit "success" :rofl: :rofls: 

I mean...yeah. It was a smart decision tho. I'm sure the handheld market was starting to shrink. I haven't seen a DS in years. Hell, I barely see Switches out in the wild. 

Switch is the only console I have purchased new since a PS2. As someone who pre-covid days used to fly a lot, I thought it was going to be an amazing way to mix up long flights. 

Now that I think about it, even used the only consoled I purchased since the PS2 has been two Nitendo DS where I quickly installed homebrew on them.

I think since the PS2 I abandoned all non-pc non-handheld gaming.

7 hours ago, Goukosan said:

That has nothing to do with gaming :camby:

and woops, havent been on SW for many years, will be sure to keep it just gaming

Edited by Chairman_Meow
add quote
21 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I don’t see Nintendo abandoning the handheld market. I think they will eventually put out a 3ds successor, it’s not like they have any competition from Sony and given how badly the vita flopped, they shouldn’t for a while.

Do we define "handheld market" are just purely the hardware, or the hardware + software.

Because they're selling Switch lites, that do not have any capability of displaying to a tv screen.

That's a handheld.

And they have a dock that they can always start expanding the Switch line to where they can put processing hardware in the dock, which would make it a console.

But Nintendo had made a clear decision to combine their dev studios, so the software could be made for both handheld and console. Right down to all studios sharing the same tools for development.