Open Club  ·  22 members  ·  Rules

All Things Politics

Seattle City Council approves complex package to cut police budget

The Seattle City Council approved a complex budget package to cut spending for the Seattle Police Department. The vote was 7-1, with Councilmember Kshama Sawant as the only dissenting vote. 

https://www.king5.com/mobile/article/news/local/protests/seattle-city-council-police-budget-defund-vote/281-52d60913-c6f2-4ae6-b30f-12fc52824f5e

EB9B8E8B-1335-449C-96BD-CEB556A29937.png

Edited by Delita
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There are a couple of nuanced facts that often get lost in the discussion of police reform in the US context: The biggest drag in police budgets is not the operating budget but pensions that pol

Big Concepts

No, you're only ever allowed one choice.     It's abstinence only education, or late-3rd term abortions. Pick one, and stay there.

Posted Images

Congratulations seattle. I hope death by cops decreases. I also hope murder rates do not increase. We shall see. Apparently its ok to be murdered by non police officers. 

How many people have Seattle police killed? The only thing I could find was between 2010 and 2017 they shot 36 people and 17 died and 4 were deemed unjustified. Meanwhile 300+ people were murdered. I suppose thats irrelevant though. 

Edited by Cooke (not admin cant help

i always smile when i read something like this because eliminate sounds more than just "removing" someone to me. lol

9 hours ago, Cooke (not admin cant help said:

How many people have Seattle police killed? The only thing I could find was between 2010 and 2017 they shot 36 people and 17 died and 4 were deemed unjustified. Meanwhile 300+ people were murdered. I suppose thats irrelevant though. 

Homicide has never been a huge problem in Seattle. Homelessness is the city’s largest problem by far coupled with drug addiction. 

3 minutes ago, Ike said:

Homicide has never been a huge problem in Seattle. Homelessness is the city’s largest problem by far coupled with drug addiction. 

Then reducing police wont help. Keep it status quo. Hire more social workers and outreach programs.

We have a massive homeless problem too..which has also increased the murder rate. They are stabbing eachother for drugs now that the supply has been tightened with border closures. 

3 minutes ago, Cooke (not admin cant help said:

Then reducing police wont help. Keep it status quo. Hire more social workers and outreach programs.

We have a massive homeless problem too..which has also increased the murder rate. They are stabbing eachother for drugs now that the supply has been tightened with border closures. 

That’s exactly what’s they’re doing. They’re stopping police from dealing with the homeless and using that money for social programs. :|

37 minutes ago, Ike said:

That’s exactly what’s they’re doing. They’re stopping police from dealing with the homeless and using that money for social programs. :|

They are reducing officers. Theres no need. Theres still thousands of crimes to deal with every year.

I will say, I don't like how the council voted unilaterally and did Carmen Best dirty. She actually was a good police chief. 

Also, fuck Sawant. I hope she's voted out.

3 hours ago, Liquid said:

Lol @ this crocodile tears double standard. 

I'm not pretending to be upset, I'm laughing at the irony.

nzH4jbb.jpg

It's not so much the volume of interactions Black Americans have with the police that troubles them or differentiates them from other racial groups, but rather the quality of those interactions.

Most Black Americans want the police to spend at least as much time in their area as they currently do, indicating that they value the need for the service that police provide. However, that exposure comes with more trepidation for Black than White or Hispanic Americans about what they might experience in a police encounter. And those harboring the least confidence that they will be treated well, or who have had negative encounters in the past, are much more likely to want the police presence curtailed.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/316571/black-americans-police-retain-local-presence.aspx?utm_source=tagrss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=syndication

1 hour ago, Saucer said:

I'm not pretending to be upset, I'm laughing at the irony.

nzH4jbb.jpg

This new alt-right tactics you guys seem to love is making random, trivial, and at times completely disconnected points to make whatever you guys dont like seem completely absurd. Absurdity generated entirely by your own hyperbole and intellectual dishonesty. 

3 hours ago, Ike said:

Lmfao Cooke is dense as fuck..... did you actually expect him to read beyond the word "defund" in the headline?  :bena:

1 hour ago, Goukosan said:

Lmfao Cooke is dense as fuck..... did you actually expect him to read beyond the word "defund" in the headline?  :bena:

Big Concepts :troll:

• Haha 1
45 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

And im saying dont defund. You dont need to defund the police. Increase taxes and spend more on social work. We can walk and chew gum as they say. And fuck off Gouk. I read the entire article. Im saying I disagree with that aspect. Removing 100 cops isnt going to result in less minorities dying from violence. 

Big concepts gouk :jasonj:

Edited by Cooke (not admin cant help