Nvidia and Micron have been working together to develop 21Gbps GDDR6X memory for upcoming Ampere

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/micron-confirms-that-the-nvidia-ampere-rtx-3090-card-will-get-21gbps-gddr6x-memory/

In a recent technology brief Micron has confirmed that it has been developing GDDR6X memory for NVIDIA’s next-generation Ampere graphics card lineup. Micron has been a memory module supplier for the Geforce graphics cards, and this new partnership with Nvidia takes things to a whole new level, by bringing GDDR6X memory type support.

The GeForce RTX 3090 graphics card is being listed on the Micron website with 12GB GDDR6X memory, so we can expect the bandwidth to be between 912 to 1008 GB/s. The clock speed is not yet set, but it should be between 19 and 21 Gbps.  But to achieve 1TB/s bandwidth, the memory bus width needs to 384-bit wide.

The NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 is expected to feature the ‘GA102-300’ GPU die having 5248 CUDA cores, but this hasn’t been fully confirmed yet.

Despite Micron claiming the RTX 3090 would launch with 12 GB GDDR6X memory; there have been numerous leaks before pointing to a 22, 20, and even a 16GB configuration. This leak from Micron however confirms the flagship Ampere GPU is named as RTX 3090, and the RTX 30 series nomenclature is indeed correct. It also confirms the RTX 3090 would support up to 21 Gbps memory modules with bandwidth up to 1 TB/s.

Micron Statement:

“Micron GDDR6X is the world’s fastest graphics memory, delivering legendary performance to help drive ray tracing, shadow mapping and silky-smooth animation for an immersive PC gaming experience.”

“In Summer of 2020, Micron announced the next evolution of Ultra-Bandwidth Solutions in GDDR6X. Working closely with NVIDIA on their Ampere generation of graphics cards, Micron’s 8Gb GDDR6X will deliver up to 21Gb/s (data rate per pin) in 2020. At 21Gb/s, a graphic card with 12pcs of GDDR6X will be able to break the 1TB/s of system bandwidth barrier! Micron’s roadmap also highlights the potential for a 16Gb GDDR6X in 2021 with the ability to reach up to 24Gb/s. GDDR6X is powered by a revolutionary new PAM4 modulation technology for Ultra-Bandwidth Solutions. PAM4 has the potential to drive even more improvements in data rate.”

1TB/s memory bandwidth :whew: 

Edited by HALOmij
5 minutes ago, Carlos Vela said:

I have an $800+ credit at Microcenter to use.

Wonder what Ampere GPU that can land me 

Might put you around the 3080 mark.

The thing that I'm curious about is what new tech these GPUs are going to bring besides just faster ray tracing.  Nvidia's marketing campaign is going through the entire history of PC since their GPUs launched, and they're talking about key pivotal moments in the history of computer graphics... so I'm wondering if they have some new rendering technology that they're set to release with Ampere?

Still.. we're looking at 25TF of performance on the highest card and memory more than 2x faster than the upcoming next gen consoles.  They're going to be beastly. B) 

10 hours ago, HALOmij said:

Might put you around the 3080 mark.

The thing that I'm curious about is what new tech these GPUs are going to bring besides just faster ray tracing.  Nvidia's marketing campaign is going through the entire history of PC since their GPUs launched, and they're talking about key pivotal moments in the history of computer graphics... so I'm wondering if they have some new rendering technology that they're set to release with Ampere?

Still.. we're looking at 25TF of performance on the highest card and memory more than 2x faster than the upcoming next gen consoles.  They're going to be beastly. B) 

I think it will be just that, faster ray-tracing, high FPS, especially for those running setups higher than 1080p/60.

1 minute ago, The Mother Fucker said:

I think it will be just that, faster ray-tracing, high FPS, especially for those running setups higher than 1080p/60.

Nvidia's gonna be at the point where it's harder to justify JUST higher framerates.  Most people stop caring after a certain point and marketing GPUs performing in the hundreds of FPS doesn't work as well.  That's why they've been increasingly working on rendering advances and features outside of just being faster than the previous generations.

Who's going to spend a lot more money on a GPU that gets 250fps instead of 130fps?  There's also the fact that CPUs will be bottlenecking these GPUs greatly at lower resolutions.. so they've got to figure out better features to advertise instead of just faster framerates.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1