Building a new PC. My son is hoarding my living room PC.

0/10

You need a CPU dawg :reg: 

Oh and remove a couple of those fans from the radiator and just run the one fan faster it'll be quieter! :rofl: 

Spoiler

10/10

We're all moving to AMD now :whew: 

Edited by HALOmij

That's all the obvious stuff that can literally quickly be googled in seconds (unless you are TB or some shit). The peripherals/desk is always what requires more thought time and input. Like think about a new fancy desk and monitor:

This ASUS monitor should blow every other monitor out of the water when it releases, but will be over-priced for what it is,

https://rog.asus.com/articles/gaming-monitors/the-rog-swift-pg32uqx-delivers-the-best-4k-hdr-gaming-experience-yet/

And I like what this guy did in terms of desk/decor:

Edited by Substatic
4 minutes ago, Carlos Vela said:

I think anything beyond 21:9 Aspect Ratio is stupid.   And almost prefer 16x9 still (closer to human vision)

Also,  should I wait for Zen 3?! 

Most definitely.

If he doesn't have AMD right now he should just wait to ZEN4.  I think jumping to AM4 at the end of it's life is a poor decision, when ZEN4 Ryzen 5000 will come up in 2021 and offer DDR5 memory, and be on the new AM5 socket. 

You're going to be like, why did I just spend all my money on AM4, DDR4 stuff.

Edited by The Mother Fucker
35 minutes ago, The Mother Fucker said:

If he doesn't have AMD right now he should just wait to ZEN4.  I think jumping to AM4 at the end of it's life is a poor decision, when ZEN4 Ryzen 5000 will come up in 2021 and offer DDR5 memory, and be on the new AM5 socket. 

You're going to be like, why did I just spend all my money on AM4, DDR4 stuff.

I don’t want to wait another year or longer.  Isn’t ZEn 3 supposed to release next month 

41 minutes ago, Carlos Vela said:

I don’t want to wait another year or longer.  Isn’t ZEn 3 supposed to release next month 

Its supposed to release sometime before the end of the year. They weren't specific about how soon. But I wouldn't be surprised if its closer to November.

49 minutes ago, Carlos Vela said:

By the end of the year.

It's kinda fucked what they're doing to be honest.  I hope we don't have a huge dump of everything right at the same time.  I have a feeling the only reason why we haven't seen RDNA2 cards yet is due to the consoles and them not wanting public knowledge of a large part of their tech just yet, as well as wanting to be able to react to Nvidia.  As for Zen 3, AMD is in no rush, their Zen 2 CPUs are selling like crazy and are under no threat by Intel.  AMD is currently the only platform which supports PCIe 4.0, which both Nvidia's Ampere GPUs and AMDs RDNA2 GPUs will support... which will make Intel look even more behind feature-wise and sell more AMD based systems.

Still, they are committed to release by the end of the year.  Hopefully they are a good step up from Zen 2.

In just a few months PCs are going to get much faster than they've been for the past 2 years. B) 

4 minutes ago, The Mother Fucker said:

Only thing I'm looking to get this year and it's a big IF, and that's probably the Ryzen 7 4700G APU if it goes retail.

Same. Pretty disappointing it's OEM only right now. 

1 minute ago, The Mother Fucker said:

Only thing I'm looking to get this year and it's a big IF, and that's probably the Ryzen 7 4700G APU if it goes retail.

If Zen 3 is 15-20% faster than Zen 2.. I might consider buying the 12-core Zen 3.  I want to see how it performs with the 3090 in comparison to Zen 2.  If there's much of a difference, I'll get one.

8 minutes ago, HALOmij said:

Really?  What for?

I have this nice, very nice looking HTPC set-top box case I'm working on as my last PC build (and I mean it because you know I built too many systems).  Since this will be an entertainment style looking case, I decided to make this be only APU.  I don't want to have to hassle with trying to get a decent GPU installed, and that 4700G seem to check all the boxes. 

Just one problem.  This would be on the B350 motherboard I randomly picked up a couple months ago.

and so it's up in the air if B350 will get Ryzen 4000G support.  Which I'm hoping it does, because the APU is ZEN2, and the board mgfr Gigabyte already released BIOS support for Ryzen 3000 XT CPUs for it.  

B350/450/550 seem to be dedicated to APUs with them all having HDMI ports, so I'm hoping this old mobo gets support.   Because I don't want to have to settle for a Athlon 3000G.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, The Mother Fucker said:

I have this nice, very nice looking HTPC set-top box case I'm working on as my last PC build (and I mean it because you know I built too many systems).  Since this will be an entertainment style looking case, I decided to make this be only APU.  I don't want to have to hassle with trying to get a decent GPU installed, and that 4700G seem to check all the boxes. 

Just one problem.  This would be on the B350 motherboard I randomly picked up a couple months ago.

and so it's up in the air if B350 will get Ryzen 4000G support.  Which I'm hoping it does, because the APU is ZEN2, and the board mgfr Gigabyte already released BIOS support for Ryzen 3000 XT CPUs for it.  

B350/450/550 seem to be dedicated to APUs with them all having HDMI ports, so I'm hoping this old mobo gets support.   Because I don't want to have to settle for a Athlon 3000G.

Oh I see.  That's cool.  Yea, honestly you can make some incredibly small form factor PCs without having to consider a discreet GPU.

About the mobo.. yea it's hard to say.  Hopefully that works out for you.

7 hours ago, Substatic said:

That's all the obvious stuff that can literally quickly be googled in seconds (unless you are TB or some shit). The peripherals/desk is always what requires more thought time and input. Like think about a new fancy desk and monitor:

This ASUS monitor should blow every other monitor out of the water when it releases, but will be over-priced for what it is,

https://rog.asus.com/articles/gaming-monitors/the-rog-swift-pg32uqx-delivers-the-best-4k-hdr-gaming-experience-yet/

And I like what this guy did in terms of desk/decor:

spacer.png