Open Club  ·  22 members  ·  Rules

All Things Politics

The experts are speaking out against the extensive measures in the US.

As we can see, Sweden handled the coronavirus without going nuclear, aimed at non medical eradication with lockdowns, mask (that don't do anything), and social distancing (which is a joke). 

Guess the democrats that did all this stuff should apologize right? 

Who is even talking about another lockdown? Even "Fascist Fauci" is on record saying it's not necessary. Ionnidis has also said he supports lockdowns to prevent hospitals from being overwhelmed, so he's not exactly as anti-lockdown as you're ascribing him to be.

Sweden handled the coronavirus without going nuclear

What is the fascination with Sweden, exactly? It has one of the worst death rates, its economy has taken a bigger hit than its "nuclear" neighbours, and even Tegnell has said they should have done more. Like it's just an awful example of non-lockdown success when South Korea has 1.04% of Sweden's deaths per capita (seriously, re-read that number. It's insane) and is expected to have the smallest GDP contraction of any OECD country.

1 hour ago, GeorgeW1000 said:
mask (that don't do anything), and social distancing (which is a joke). 

Citation needed.

1 hour ago, GeorgeW1000 said:
Guess the democrats that did all this stuff should apologize right? 

The POTUS is Republican and the majority of the Senate and governors are, too.

• Haha 1
  • Geese 1
  • dead 1
  • aitch 1

On 2020-08-19 at 4:31 AM, GeorgeW1000 said:

I love hot sauce and teh diplomat... even if they’re the first people to dunk on me. 

:denzel:

• dead 1

Just watch @GeorgeW1000 not come back and address anything, or even funnier he'll respond with a "Well..............I haven't gotten around to doing the research, I was basing this on my GENERAL FEELING"

And yes, he's actually typed that on this forum before when he got his ass handed to him, and couldn't get a fact correct to save his life.

And then he comes back and attempts the same exact thing, again.

6 hours ago, Hot Sauce said:

Who is even talking about another lockdown? Even "Fascist Fauci" is on record saying it's not necessary. Ionnidis has also said he supports lockdowns to prevent hospitals from being overwhelmed, so he's not exactly as anti-lockdown as you're ascribing him to be.

What is the fascination with Sweden, exactly? It has one of the worst death rates, its economy has taken a bigger hit than its "nuclear" neighbours, and even Tegnell has said they should have done more. Like it's just an awful example of non-lockdown success when South Korea has 1.04% of Sweden's deaths per capita (seriously, re-read that number. It's insane) and is expected to have the smallest GDP contraction of any OECD country.

Citation needed.

:dead2:

10 hours ago, Hot Sauce said:

Citation needed.

Dr. Birk, who wouldn't even refute Trump's referencing injecting disinfectants into human beings to cure COVID said last week that she felt the lockdowns here in US weren't strict enough. 

16 hours ago, Hot Sauce said:

Citation needed.

Sweden has been an overwhelming success story.

My point was less of a second lockdown as my point was that lockdowns were a colossal mistake and everyone knows it. 

21 minutes ago, GeorgeW1000 said:

Sweden has been an overwhelming success story.

Based on what? Their death rate is 10x higher than their neighbours who did lockdown, 100x higher than South Korea who didn't lockdown, and they took a bigger hit to their economy than all of them.

What specifically is the metric that you're judging their success on?

27 minutes ago, GeorgeW1000 said:

Who is talking about Australia? It was winter in South Korea, though I doubt their winters are as bad as Sweden's are to be fair to the Swedes.

30 minutes ago, GeorgeW1000 said:

My point was less of a second lockdown as my point was that lockdowns were a colossal mistake and everyone knows it. 

1. Lockdowns were necessary in the northeast. Hospitals were being overwhelmed and the goal of flattening the curve to allow for hospitals to be able to treat patients without turning them away was correct.

2. Lockdowns everywhere else were pointless. Lockdowns are a reset button, that's all. No point in hitting the reset button when it hasn't even started somewhere yet; the virus is too contagious to eradicate without forcibly locking people in their homes.

A lot of the information that allows me to agree with you on the second point is based on what we know now and not necessarily back in March, though. I was banging the drum on a significantly lower mortality rate pretty early, but even a 0.5% IFR virus would be absolutely crippling without the potential we're seeing now for cross-immunity playing a huge part in limiting spread. That didn't even start getting pitched in any of the journals I followed until late May and those were just retroactive studies proposing a hypothesis rather than anything to be used as evidence.

I really just don't think it's fair to retroactively criticize the start of the lockdowns. The duration of the lockdowns, maybe.