Samsung lists the 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 SSD specs and details

https://wccftech.com/samsung-980-pro-pcie-4-0-ssds-official-with-up-to-1-tb-capacities/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Samsung-980-PRO-PCIe-Gen-4-SSD_11.jpg

Taking about the design, Samsung's 980 PRO SSDs will feature a Nickel coated thermal heatsink over the SSD controller while making use of a thin copper film on the back and front of the PCB. Samsung will also utilize its Dynamic Thermal Guard technology to maintain optimal thermal level on its 980 PRO SSDs. The drives make use of the next-gen, custom-designed Elpis Controller and 3-bit MLC.

As for specifications, Samsung is touting sequential read and write speeds of up to 7000 MB/s & 5000 MB/s, respectively, for the 1 TB model. The random reads and writes for the drive is rated at 1,000K/1,000K IOPS. The 500 GB model has sequential read and writes speeds of 6,900 MB/s & 5,000 MB/s while the 250 GB model has sequential read and write speeds of 6,400 MB/s and 2,700 MB/s. The random read and write speeds are rated at 800,000 / 1,000,000 IOPS for the 500 GB and 500,000 / 600,000 IOPS for the 250 GB model.

sam.png

Also worth noting that these new SSDs utilize a new custom Samsung controller called "Elpis" whereas the 970 featured their "Phoenix" controller.  Not sure what the differences are but the Phoenix controller has 5-cpu cores.  Presumably the new controller will have more cores, or more powerful ones.

Edited by Remij
  • Remij changed the title to Samsung lists the 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 SSD specs and details
3 hours ago, Team 2019 said:

Awesome but I'm sticking to dat PS5. 

I wonder what will be the first certified SSD for use with the PS5?  I'm not sure if any of these first generation Gen 4 SSDs will be... though they presumably do have the extra headroom, if we're going by uncompressed throughput anyway.

4 minutes ago, Remij said:

I wonder what will be the first certified SSD for use with the PS5?  I'm not sure if any of these first generation Gen 4 SSDs will be... though they presumably do have the extra headroom, if we're going by uncompressed throughput anyway.

It's obvious a slower SSD will do fine, but it's a good baseline for PS5 and Pro for the rest of the gen since if they had a 2gbps SSD shoving a faster one into Pro would be useless. I think the number of people that will get an additional SSD will be tiny most will just delete their games. 

I think the focus on the SSD was wise because it a QOL improvement that people won't realise they are getting until they boot up their PS4 or Switch again. 

It will be interesting if there are LOD and texture resolution advantages to such a fast SSD. We'll see once DF does a few comparisons. 

37 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

It's obvious a slower SSD will do fine, but it's a good baseline for PS5 and Pro for the rest of the gen since if they had a 2gbps SSD shoving a faster one into Pro would be useless. I think the number of people that will get an additional SSD will be tiny most will just delete their games. 

I think the focus on the SSD was wise because it a QOL improvement that people won't realise they are getting until they boot up their PS4 or Switch again. 

It will be interesting if there are LOD and texture resolution advantages to such a fast SSD. We'll see once DF does a few comparisons. 

lmao trust me, people will realize the QoL improvements the SSD brings right away... they'll just also realize how terrible the old consoles are in comparison.  It will literally be unbearable to use the old consoles after using the PS5/XSX for any amount of time.

I wonder if the game engine for upcoming PC games like Cyberpunk will take into consideration these fast read speeds when loading assets in their game.

I bet Cyberpunk is going to get alot of ini file tweaks within the first few days.

16 minutes ago, jehurey said:

I wonder if the game engine for upcoming PC games like Cyberpunk will take into consideration these fast read speeds when loading assets in their game.

I bet Cyberpunk is going to get alot of ini file tweaks within the first few days.

A lot of games loading times can be depended on CPU cores and how many cores the game utilizes to decompress the data.  TW3 loaded really fast on my old CPU with 8 threads.. so I'd like to think that Cyberpunk is more advanced and has new and improved streaming tech so  a 16/24 thread CPU should be even better.

But yea, it will be interesting though in comparison with the current gen consoles and the next gen consoles.

Edited by Remij

Looks like i'm going to play cyberGOD 2077 on my current hardware. I'm ok with lower settings and framerates but I hope my toshibu HDD will survive this and won't fuck up the performance. :( 

10 hours ago, zak said:

Looks like i'm going to play cyberGOD 2077 on my current hardware. I'm ok with lower settings and framerates but I hope my toshibu HDD will survive this and won't fuck up the performance. :( 

Unless the delay meant they killed off PS4 and XBONE support, I don't think CP2077 is a next gen title to begin with so you will be fine.

Sabrent just beat Samsung

Sabrent Crushes Samsung At Their Own Game: Builds World's Fastest M.2 SSD

By Niels Broekhuijsen 11 hours ago

Sabrent gave Samsung two days of glory, and crushed them

5dauyAK6t3CghraPPDWf44-650-80.png.webp

Samsung might just have revealed the long-awaited 980 Pro SSD and thereby, at last, delivering a PCI-Express 4.0 SSD, and while its specs don't disappoint, it seems like the folks from Sabrent had a secret in their drawer: the Rocket 4 Plus. That definitely sets the stage for a pitched battle for the fastest SSD on our list of Best SSDs

Indeed, the ever-so-popular Rocket NVMe 4.0 SSD is getting an update to the Rocket 4 Plus, which offers significantly higher read and write speeds. To be exact, it boasts sequential read speeds of up to 7000 MB/s and can write at up to 6850 MB/s, making this the fastest M.2 SSD on the planet by a significant margin.

The drive is based on the new Phison E18 controller, and it uses TLC NAND for storage. The drive also comes with a huge chunky cooler that uses tons of aluminum and three thick copper heat coils. 

Of course, it's obvious what happened here: Sabrent was waiting for Samsung to come out with their long-awaited 980 Pro, and once it landed, Sabrent gave Samsung just a few days of glory before unveiling the real winner -- a technique known as sandbagging. It also looks like Sabrent is on a roll, because not long ago, it also unveiled the world's largest M.2 SSD, as well as the world's largest PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD

No word on pricing yet on these new drives, but if Sabrent's history tells us anything, they shouldn't break the bank. The Rocket 4 Plus will come in 500 GB, 1 TB, and 2 TB flavors, and we're hoping it'll also come without the heatsink so it can be installed in motherboards with tighter spaces.

Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus Sabrent Rocket Samsung 980 Pro
NAND Type TLC TLC TLC
Controller Phison E18 Phison E16 Samsung Elpis
Sequential Read 7000 MB/s 5000 MB/s 7000 MB/s
Sequential Write 6850 MB/s 4400 MB/s 5000 MB/s
Capacities 500 GB, 1 TB, 2 TB 500 GB, 1 TB, 2 TB 250 GB, 500 GB, 1 TB

I dunno. If Samsung's cost a fucking ridiculous price (people are saying that 1TB is going to be $360-$400) then I may very well settle for a 500GB Sabrent, even though that cooler is stupid and they will probably charge that separately.

Also regarding Cyberpunk, somebody on the game's subreddit pointed out in a recent longplay video from this past June (I think it was the B-roll footage).

Your character has the option of getting a language implant upgrade. And you see it in action, because your partner, Jackie is waiting in front of an apartment building and he's talking on the phone.

And he's talking in spanish, saying goodbye to his mother. And on screen, you see the original spanish words show up over his head, and then you see the sentence immediately get converted over to English, a portion at a time.

Beginning at 3:38, immediately look at the blue words on the right-side of the screen.

And then somebody linked an article from 2013, in which they quote somebody at CDPR that they want to record all the characters in their native languages, and you can't read English captions of what they are saying unless you get the language implant upgrade in the game. AND you need to further upgrade the language implant in order to get a better translation of what they are saying.

Edited by jehurey
2 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Also regarding Cyberpunk, somebody on the game's subreddit pointed out in a recent longplay video from this past June (I think it was the B-roll footage).

Your character has the option of getting a language implant upgrade. And you see it in action, because your partner, Jackie is waiting in front of an apartment building and he's talking on the phone.

And he's talking in spanish, saying goodbye to his mother. And on screen, you see the original spanish words show up over his head, and then you see the sentence immediately get converted over to English, a portion at a time.

Beginning at 3:38, immediately look at the yellow words on the right-side of the screen.

And then somebody linked an article from 2013, in which they quote somebody at CDPR that they want to record all the characters in their native languages, and you can't read English captions of what they are saying unless you get the language implant upgrade in the game. AND you need to further upgrade the language implant in order to get a better translation of what they are saying.

That's cool. :smoke: