NVIDIA Geforce Special Event 9amPST/12pmEST OT; 3090-$1500, 3080-$699, 3070 $499

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think 2070 Supers will be at like $250 on used market soon. 2080 / 2080 Supers $300-350.   2080 Ti $400 used value at best,   with RTX 3070 being 1x faster than it, at $499.

Posted Images

50 minutes ago, Teh_Diplomat said:

[Cries in Canadian Funds]

Indeed lol.  

The funny thing is that I know for a fact Nvidia will have a 3080ti coming.  There's still a $999 priced card to be had.  It will probably be the best deal as well, within 15% of the 3090 and likely 16GB of RAM, which would probably be perfect..  They'll have that card (those cards) to compete with AMD if they happen to be quite competitive.

but whatever.. 24GB of RAM and 8K DLSS sounds nice.

• Upvote 1

Performance per “Teraflop” is actually lower with Ampere than it was with Turing

in no way whatsoever is a 30 Teraflop Ampere GPU going to perform twice as well as a 15 teraflop Turing GPU

https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/ikok1b/explaining_amperes_cuda_core_count/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

4 minutes ago, Carlos Vela said:

Performance per “Teraflop” is actually lower with Ampere than it was with Turing

in no way whatsoever is a 30 Teraflop Ampere GPU going to perform twice as well as a 15 teraflop Turing GPU

https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/ikok1b/explaining_amperes_cuda_core_count/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

That's because "Teraflop" is a theoretical performance metric.....

There's cases where the 3080 performs as well as 2x 2080.

Edited by Remij
3 hours ago, Remij said:

That's because "Teraflop" is a theoretical performance metric.....

There's cases where the 3080 performs as well as 2x 2080.

I’m guessing the 3080 will be about 80% faster than a 2080 when DLSS and RT is not being used

But the 3080 is 3 times more Teraflops than the 2080.   10 vs 30

Just kinda funny how Nvidia was always praised for performing better per teraflop vs AMD.

But now it looks like AMD Teraflops will perform better than Nvidia 

Not that it matters much,  at the end of the day only performance matters 

1 hour ago, Carlos Vela said:

I’m guessing the 3080 will be about 80% faster than a 2080 when DLSS and RT is not being used

But the 3080 is 3 times more Teraflops than the 2080.   10 vs 30

Just kinda funny how Nvidia was always praised for performing better per teraflop vs AMD.

But now it looks like AMD Teraflops will perform better than Nvidia 

Not that it matters much,  at the end of the day only performance matters 

Nvidia is being kinda dumb with how they are displaying the amount of CUDA cores there are.  It's really half the cores.  Each core can perform 2 FP32 operations per clock cycle... but there's likely nothing built yet to really take advantage of that.  So when comparing performance it's really ~15TF's of performance compared to the 2080's 10TF's.

I remember reading rumors that were saying new benchmarks were going to have to be made to really test Ampere's performance.  Benchmarks like Timespy Extreme weren't properly stressing the GPU.  Maybe there's some truth to that?

58 minutes ago, The Mother Fucker said:

Why did NVIDIA start crippling the Titans after the Titan V.  

RTX 3090 looked promising, but it's FP64 compute specs appear crippled as it's predecessor RTX Titan.  Why does NVIDIA keep doing this?

Because of die space...  These things are already completely gigantic.  FP64 is useless for games.. and the 3090 is a gaming card. 

lmao consoles are already fucking in the asshole before they release and by a large margin.

bahwhahaha :mj: I guess that means they are going to have to resort to posting 300x400 gifs of cutscenes from movie games for ANOTHER 8 years.

Edited by Substatic
Just now, Substatic said:

lmao consoles are already fucking in the asshole before they release and by a large margin.

bahwhahaha :mj:

The 3070 being more powerful, or equal to a 2080ti likely will mean the 3060 will be around 2080 performance... and that GPU will be $350.  I fucking told Jon there'd be a $350 GPU that beats the PS5/XSX within the first 6 months. :D 

20-series cards are going to get real cheap really quick too, so finding a cheap 2080 wont be a problem.

11 minutes ago, Remij said:

The 3070 being more powerful, or equal to a 2080ti likely will mean the 3060 will be around 2080 performance... and that GPU will be $350.  I fucking told Jon there'd be a $350 GPU that beats the PS5/XSX within the first 6 months. :D 

20-series cards are going to get real cheap really quick too, so finding a cheap 2080 wont be a problem.

Should i wait for the Super or TI variant in 2021 or just get the ones comming in October? I have a 2070Super atm.